IGNORED

"Audiophile" SD Card Transport?

Doak

1 hour ago, Hauser said:

I understand you dismissed DIY but consider Tirna hifi as a good source of info on Sd card players.  Check under the Computer Audio heading.  There is currently progress on a group buy Dac using an SD card reader on one thread and also an earlier thread discussing commercially available devices.

Not as convenient as an Aries,  though.

Martin.

I’ll second that. I bought one of the £40 Chinese SD card players with I2S out discovered on TirnaHifi and it’s the best sounding source I’ve tried especially with clean power.

It just doesn’t fit well with my system as I mostly stream music and you need to load the cards. Every now and then I hook it up to the I2S input on my PS Audio Junior DAC and smile. 

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

2 hours ago, Doak said:

AOK,, Thanks. Managed to miss this while wading through the techie talk.

Will look at this box very carefully and gladly pay $150 or so for a viable solution. 👍

The SD card player board in this one is the same one I tried. It really is a gem. I imagine the DAC may not be the best but the card is very simple and effective source, unbelievable quality at this price.

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers. 

3 minutes ago, Doak said:

HA! Yes,  I'd been following THAT one and hoping for some "trickle down." 

I've been watching that one and looks state of the art but it's a slow trickle! :) Has one even been made? its easy to generate cool visuals these days....

Have you looked at the QLS players? I believe they are highly rated, and a reliable brand but I haven't tried one...

A better bet -  I'd be wary unless you can find someone who has tried the Aliexpress ones

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/index.htm

http://www.qlshifi.com/en/wzcapi/qa661.htm

• 4 weeks later...

"Here's detailed product info on the next off-line hi-res SD card player/streamer I'll have in-house - on its way from China via DHL Express. "

@Doak have you received your QLS QA361 yet?. Curious if you have any update/listening impressions..?

cheers

3 hours ago, Doak said:

Greetings and thanks for your interest. 

What I know and can share so far: It truly is a “game changer.”  

Hold tight! 🖖

Fascinating news, many thanks :)