IGNORED

How much dynamic range is possible in a simple stereo recording?

46 minutes ago, STC said:

Room noise floor is around 40dB. So far the loudest in listening room at insane level the peak hit 113dB. On average 70dB is more than enough. Yes, for playback 16bit is enough but for recording I would not go for anything less than 24bit.

You have quite loud room! I've measured around 30 dB!

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

4 hours ago, esldude said:

With two microphones and a stereo recording how much dynamic range is actually possible? We'll assume using more than two microphones is a treasonous perversion of the stereo medium. 

About 18 - 20 bit worth.

Is dithered 16 bit digital all anyone needs for distribution of recordings? If not why not?

I think it would be good to preserve original dynamic range of the recordings.

And yes be prepared to defend your opinions.

I picked two hires recordings at random. And for example for these cases 16-bit resolution limits dynamic range compared to original.

Here's 2L-111 original 24-bit DXD:

Screenshot_2019-01-10_10-30-55.thumb.png.ad3279857b7d3b3b89620ffaf2ce434f.png

Same dithered to 16-bit:

Screenshot_2019-01-10_10-36-49.thumb.png.aaa832ccfbf6326b2ac01d7df5a2614b.png

Keeping the sample rate and using noise shaping the 16-bit would preserve all information though.

One DSD256 recording, converted to 88.2 kHz 24-bit PCM:

Screenshot_2019-01-10_13-13-07.thumb.png.96c47edf0d4f4213ce867ec57b8a2104.png

Same dithered to 16-bit:

Screenshot_2019-01-10_13-13-48.thumb.png.8d0050a79ba033753a353cde595334af.png

It is not very straightforward to say whether 16-bit is enough because it also depends on sampling rate if you use noise shaping. At high enough sampling rate 1-bit is enough.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

With dither we can get more or less 120 db dynamic range with 16 bit audio.  Do you need more?

Well, not dynamic range, but you can resolve signals to -120 dB or lower. If you use noise shaping and high enough sampling rate, you can resolve signals at -200 dB or lower (of course not through real converter, but in digital domain). 16-bit has dynamic range of 96 dB.

2 hours ago, fas42 said:

Yes, it's the 'subjective' dynamics that do it for the hearing - so, how does one correlate that with measurements, and number of bits?

For that purpose there are couple of calculation standards (dynamic range ratings) and listings like here:

http://dr.loudness-war.info

Also see: https://tech.ebu.ch/loudness/

But what we are talking about how quiet and loud signals can be fit together on a recording using single stereo mic pair. It is also related to another similar aspect called signal to noise ratio but these are measured in a different way. SNR (THD+N) contains also distortion products of high level signal.

Microphone manufacturers also typically list some figures. Like DPA 4041 has 118 dB dynamic range. And one of the mics most used for hires recordings, DPA 4006 has 124 dB dynamic range. DPA used to have also fancier (better performing) 130V phantom power version which is used by many for hires recordings. Sennheiser and Neumann have similar figures. Best figure I found was 127 dB, which is very close to 21-bit worth (just slightly over 21 bit).

4 hours ago, mansr said:

The lowest sound level that can be captured is determined by ambient noise and self-noise of the microphone. The upper limit is likely set by the microphone as going too loud will cause severe distortion and can even damage it. You'll have to check the specs to get accurate numbers, but I doubt you'll find many offering more than 100 dB of usable dynamic range. A good 24-bit ADC will have no trouble recording this.

For example Neumann KM183 has A-weighted self-noise of 13 dB and maximum SPL  is 140 dB (0.5% THD). DPA 4006 has A-weighted self-noise of 15 dB and maximum SPL 146 dB. Many of these microphone models have a switchable pad from 10 to 20 dB, so you can roughly shift the dynamic range down by that amount in SPL.

But anyway, one way to check is to go through bunch of hires material and see what they have. With my earlier checks and random pick I can say that it is at least more than 16-bit worth.

31 minutes ago, semente said:

A/DC
A good 24 bit AD like the Apogee 16 X has an S/N of around 120 dB and this means removing 11 dB from the previous weak link, the mic, at 131 dB
You are now recording at 20 bit (120 / 6 = 20)

Quite many use Merging Horus or Hapi these days with their ADC cards:

https://www.merging.com/products/interfaces/specifications#a-d8-d-a-d8-d-p-option-card

People with 130V mics certainly use something like Millennia Media mic pre-amps, and some others use for example completely custom built mic pre's for those.

I'm personally using RME ADI-2 Pro:

http://rme-audio.de/en/products/adi_2-pro.php#7

Which is so far among the best with unweighted 120 dB and A-weighted 124 dB SNR.