IGNORED

GentooPlayer

Hey guys,

any ideas why I'm not getting sound when activating parametric EQ? Looks like the song just can't start..
Done the steps in tutorial (alsaequal.html) , running v6.8 / 100 / Kernel 5.15.36-MIN-NOGRAPH-EUP+ , not working with two USB DACs.

Funny thing is that I'm getting sound when I activate graphic EQ (just the quality goes down a LOT), but I can't access it, because my command shell is always hidden.. (Or where can I access it?)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Hi there,

could you please help me find a command, how to deactivate USB ports on RPi4? I'm now running a HAT (Audiophonics DigiPi+I2S) and don't need them anymore.

Btw, it took me quite a while just to realize that the Diretta Target can output only to USB, so frustrating... Or is there a way to set it up to output via another interface, like my HAT?

Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

No, it must also work without a licence but only with file 44100

Clearly if the system doesn't see your Hat dac, it won't see it diretta either, so the question is:
Does the system see your Hat dac? (you can see it in system info)

Yes yes, I'm using it normally via Squeezelite-R2, just the Diretta ASIO configurator doesn't see it, only USB and it says "limited", so I thought it's the trial limitation:
image.png.1b728bdb692f098224e9f951dd0a0cf6.png

37 minutes ago, antonellocaroli said:

I don't know how asio works on windows, but on linux with direct-alsasync (on the host PC), when you have multiple audio outputs to manage, you have to choose AlsaSync-Multi, otherwise only the first device is seen....

Have you tried unplugging the usb dac and rebooting?

Wonderful, that worked, so only one device connected -> that makes it default.
Tomorrow then begins testing, how much influence has a low-mid-highend LAN cable with Diretta.

Last question for now - anyone can think of a workaround, how to stream Deezer from Windows to Diretta target, or is it too much to ask for? Thanks!

Amazing, that way I can have everything from PC to my Gentooplayer/RPi4 via Diretta and it sounds very good indeed.

Just a little troubleshooting for next guys trying this - in my case ASIO bridge was "recording" in 48kHz by default, so it needs changing to 44kHz to work with Diretta trial.

Great community 🤩

• 2 weeks later...

Well it sounds like Diretta is more or less immune against quality of the LAN cable, which was honestly quite unexpected for me.

I've made a shootout between a €1k+ highend audio-special vs my €50 superbly sounding profi IT vs el-cheapo noname Cat.5. And to my surprise, the differences were extremely small, only apart from the noname one (but even that one didn't ruin the experience, which is a big win).

However, my audio chain is not completely finished yet and I might have a one temporal bottleneck, so this could change in the future.

Nevertheless, before with the Squeezelite (RPi4) / LMS (PC/WIN) setup, there have been rather large differences between LAN cables, they really could make or break the sound for me (in my experience/setup, YMMV). 

So conclusion for me is that buying Diretta is like buying a perfect TOTL LAN cable for a bargain price. Because the sound is noticeably more pleasant with the Diretta, even when using that €1k+ cable...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi, I'm wondering, if there is a way how to make the Rpi (4) work with 100mbit LAN cable, which is using just two pairs of wires (pins 1-3, 6)? Because when I connect it to my gigabit switch, it doesn't even communicate, apparently it wants to use all wires, which are not there, as is described here: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=309452

Any ideas/workarounds how to make it work?

Thanks 🙏

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, falco henri said:

A la rentrée je vais commander l holo spring 3 level 2... Je vais le comparer à un delta sygma de très bonne facture un audio GD D77.... Sur un très bon préampli audio GD et le superbe ampli de puissance audiophonics lpa 400 Purifi... Qui est d une neutralité absolue ! Et des colonnes triangle haut de gamme... Je vous ferai mon retour histoire s il vaut vraiment le coup où il est surfait 👍😉

I can tell you right away, as I had the same exact model home for a few weeks. It is greatly overrated indeed. 

Yes it does a lot of things very well, but it's impossible to get a truly neutral sound from it, even with high-end accessories (filter, cord, interconnects, wall socket, fuses, you name it...). 

At first, you get the "wow" effect, but from longer listening, you slowly get fatigue. But if you really want to try, then at least get some proper feet for it, as the default are really subpar. I was using Ultra pads from AAI.SK and they helped magnificently to get a more neutral/coherent and natural sound, but still not completely. 

Sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, but from my experience it's just another hyped "chi-fi class"  The number of units sold as second-hand speak volumes.. 

6 hours ago, falco henri said:

H wlad.

What IS your dac now ,? 

Hi Falco :) 

Currently I'm enjoying Lessloss Echos's End Reference edition, just recently refurbished with their latest Firewall modules.

My previous (and now backup) DAC is RME ADI-2 DAC (v2, AKM chip) powered by iFi iPower Elite 15V.

Before I had bunch of other delta-sigma DACs.

From my limited experience and current understanding of the fundamental differences between these two topologies, I consider Delts-Sigma DACs as more sensitive to the power you feed them and R2R on the other hand more resilient. 

But as with everything, it's hard to generalize, everything is about actual implementation. 

• 4 weeks later...

Always happy to share my observations if I have conditions to conduct a proper comparison :)

Now I just noticed that I've missed the EUPNOR variant, so I jumped at it and right off the bat I can tell that for me it's the most transparent and precise of them all. In other words, it provides the best separation and spatial information.

It also has the bottom weight of the RCU - MAYBE not as grunty as that, but it's at least very close and it perhaps might be just my imagination, or that the bass is simply cleaner with EUPNOR (which I feel is closest to the truth).

The best part is that the upper mids (~3-5kHz) forwardness (that I had with EUPRCU) is not present anymore, so the whole tonal balance is more for my liking.

I should add that this applies to my current setup with RPi3b v1.2, non-CLTO with Profile2 selected (which according to documentation assigns the priorities according to the kernel defaults).

Btw has anybody experimented with all the new profiles? I only tried profile 3-4 (using just 2 CPU's), but it didn't yield any subjective improvements, more to the contrary.. If anyone has any more experience, I would be grateful for sharing 🙏

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
5 hours ago, jeep972 said:

Hi @antonellocaroli,

With the new key, and gp update to script 184, it seems to me that my system is different. It's subtle, but nonetheless notable. It doesn't sound as good as before. The soundstage width and depth are less. Sibilants appear on the voices. the gain provided by twk 6.6 has disappeared. I am disappointed and taken aback by this change. I use usbridge signature. kernel 6.1.54 EUP 100 NOR.

I would suggest to check your cabling. The issue you described sounds like one of your ethernet cables got near some AC or DC cable, but could be anything really.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey music lovers, today I've been switching between the kernel versions (with Rpi3b nonplus) and to me it sounds like the 6.6.x family is most of all appearing to play LOUDER. I didn't really find it more detailed or expanded, however I did find the upper mids / lower treble to be more emphasized than the other regions, thus that perhaps MIGHT appear to some as more detailed/nuanced than the previous versions.

Has anybody a similar observation with comparing the 6.6 vs 6.1 kernels or everyone else hears 6.6 as clearly technically superior?

Hmm, I actually found the 6.6.8 the least fitting for my Rpi3 target, perhaps because it wasn't even meant to sound the best or maybe because of the missing CLTO version. Anyway, after several back and forth attempts, I reverted back to 6.1.54, because it's the most balanced sounding for me/my system.

One more question for all - who has compared Rpi5 to Rpi3 as Diretta Target without using USB out, so with some add-on/HAT output board? Thanks 👍

3 hours ago, DomieMic65 said:

Hi to all!

After the latest updates the power led on one of my rpi4s (2gb - Diretta target) does not turn off.

On the other (4gb - Host) it does!

Both with 6.6.2 kernels and GP8.40

I've tried enabling and disabling from twk various but didn't change the behavior! I also tried different kernels

Anyone with the same issue?

Thnx 

Hi 👋

Yes, on Rpi3 with 6.6.x kernel family , power LED still on. Still a test kernel, so I thought it wasn't even worth mentioning, but you're not alone :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm happy to report that I have a new favorite kernel for my Rpi 3B 😁

Coming from 6.1.54 (EUP100NOR-CLTO), this newest 6.6.8 (EUP100, even without CLTO yet) brought for me only positives : surprisingly blacker background (with many benefits that comes with it) and also a slightly deeper/better quality bass. I also find it tonally balanced / not annoying in any way. 

Will there be a NOR version or is every non-RCU version automatically a NOR? And is CLTO in the making? ☺️

Overnight update neatly done 🙏

One quick question regarding the kernel switching - if I just download a new kernel version, but don't select new one or restart, does the previous still remain or is there a new default loaded right away? Systeminfo is reporting that the old one is still active.

Thanks ✌️

@Auke
Thanks for sharing your comparison and notes. It aligns with my experience as well, namely that EUP (as I attached a personal definition for this acronym: "Euphory") brings spatiality / atmosphere not present with any other version. 
And with the "100" is also better sounding for me, just can't provide any notes to that, differences weren't huge though.

But currently for my Rpi3B (non plus ultra haha), I'm sticking with test kernel 6.6.8, as this gives me more favorable tonal balance and especially superb quality subbass/rumble, which I'm very fond of. Drawbacks compared to the 6.1.73 (CLTO) are little less details and sparkle up top (just marginally), but it's a price I'm gladly willing to pay for the more enjoyable tonal balance and vastly superior bass performance (in my system anyway, so YMMV..).