IGNORED

GentooPlayer

Is there a gentoplayer wiki?

is there a simple guide to configuring the player to just run mpd and ethernet and then flip to ram mode.

i player around today and had it working, but I’m just hoping there is a more definitive guide to choosing the appropriate kernel etc.

my main aim is improved sq than AL which I was happy with.

51 minutes ago, nbpf said:

Strange questions: to run MPD, just enable MPD in the web interface. Similarly for running the system in RAM. What do you mean by "appropriate"? What sounds better might depend on your system and ... on your ears!

Thanks for replying, I see of course the options are there and used them but am still also a bit confused. When I went to run ram mode it’s preselections has more players then I needed for example.

and I have no idea which kernels to choose or how an outsider could possibly know which to choose for whatever reason 🙂

I also have a terrible habit of wasting loads of time lol, so that’s why I’m trying to find a source of educational knowledge on the product, and I’ve just read the 50 pages of the thread.

(ps i had been using a direct session via putty onto gento player, i now see the web interface is much more friendly for me)

Could anyone suggest to me the correct way to achieve the following.  I have an external usb drive (seagate), it has a folder on it called 'music'.   I therefore need to mount just that folder into the media/music folder.

I want to run in rammode, so dont want to fall foul of 1tb of music being loaded into ram.

I know previously, I would mount the seagate disk, using fstab, then mount again from that mount into the media/music folder.

whenever i boot, a message is displayed to say haveged: stopping due to signal 15 (right after "Starting local"). I googled it, and it talks about a lack of entropy.  I see the last entropy estimate as 7.995.  

I think this is then causing a 1-2 min delay in the boot (maybe while it builds entropy?).

Any suggestions ?

Just now, antonellocaroli said:

it's not a problem...

is something I put in, and also added a 60-second sleep...

This is only visible on systems without a graphical interface. Where you assume you don't use a screen...

Even if you see that wait, the system is already reachable both via ssh and web interface, if you want to login directly you have to wait.

ok thanks, i can see that the system is accessible thanks, as the mpd client kicks off the mpd server at about that same point in time.  just an fyi, i'm running in normal console mode, so after the delay, it will prompt me for login detail then show the command line menu.

That's right, what's the problem?

i was waiting to log in 🙂 as i'm going through the various configuration options, so it involves a lot of rebooting.  At each reboot i have to wait for the inserted delay to elapse 🙂 productivity dropping lol

i thought you were saying the delay would only occur if i was running without the console mode.

i was hoping some charitable soul would help me configure my irq settings.

Goal is to optimise sq, i have no issues, clicks or pops or anything.  My issue is that even though I think i'm setting the irq for ethernet, usb, to separate cpu affinities, it doesn't look to be respected.

So firstly, is IRQ assignment only respected in RealTime kernels?  I've tried both types anyway, but I tend to see ethernet for example used on multiple cpus.

Is there a way to 'factory restore' all settings relating to irq?

I've tried the web interface, to choose Profile 1, which should separate these activities onto separate cpus, but it doesnt. So then i use the console commands (but it also warns not too if you've set a profile).

I could use a hand !.

how can you say it doesn't?

if you check with cat /proc/interrupts you will see that you have some interrupts on some cpus that increase, there are some if other cpus but you will see that they do not increase, they are the ones before the script starts...

profile 6 is the default

ok, thanks for helping me to understand a bit better.

so, i removed my custom irq changes, i ran profile 1, after boot, it seems to be saying only cpu 1 is in use.

now why is that, whenever profile 1 is supposed to be splitting the activities over the 4 default cores?

cpu1.png

i had saw an earlier post that says Profile 1 will split the activities, but maybe this is not right, maybe profile 1 just sets the system up into a good default state, then i must assign the cpu affinities myself from this point?

Can anyone explain the best way for me to install my STX Essense II sound card drivers plz.  

I think i've tracked down the drivers

https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Matrix:Module-oxygen

But I wasn't able to make much progress on those instructions as the modinfo soundcore was a modue that wasn't found.

i'm running a minimal kernel (RT_MIN_EUP), whenever I run the full kernel, the drivers are present.

This also seems like a good guide for doing it, 

https://docs.huihoo.com/gentoo/resources/document-listing/alsa-guide.html

but i'm getting a problem when i run 'emerge alsa-driver', module not found, portage.

12 hours ago, nbpf said:

Are you replaying via MPD? If so, have you selected "Player Setting > MPD BitPerfect"? What is in this case the value of "mixer_type" in "/etc/mpd.conf"? See also https://www.musicpd.org/doc/html/user.html.

Thanks for helping. Mixer type is none, I haven’t seen mpd but perfect, is that the same as just ‘mpd’ on the console?

yes I’m running straight mpd.

also if I set buffer_before_play to 100% is that enough to load the entire file from external ssd and play it in ram, or are any other settings involved?

thank you for the link it was very useful.

9 hours ago, clipper said:

If you use the web interface to update to version 2.12 (of GentooPlayer), you'll see the ability (in the web interface) to run Shairport-Sync (under Enable/Disable Software) and change its settings (under Player Setting).  

To update, choose GP-Version Update.  See below.  If you're on version 2.10, I believe you first have to update to 2.11 and once that's completed, update to 2.12.

image.png.4fe15d12765bf91a54656a4880e3d364.png

image.thumb.png.89150468a253c00b571777cce156ec26.png

thank you kindly, do all kernels go to 2.12, im only able to get as far as 2.211, my kernel is 5.5.0-pf2-x86_64-PF-ST. (ps i can see the warning saying i need to be on 2.12)

Or which kernels can go to 2.12 ?

the kernel has nothing to do with it.

updates are incremental

2.10 > 2.11
2.11 > 2.12

hi @antonellocaroli, i've developed software for over 20 years, so i'm not a moron, i'm just new to linux and gentoo.

i obviously tried the obvious, but the web console does not offer a further update from 2.11 to 2.12, I have ran gp-update, i've tried switching kernels.

cut me some slack brother !

pc x86_64?

update to 2.12 is still not available, between today and tomorrow I will insert it directly 2.11 > 2.13

thank you, yes im on pc x86_64.

i notice the odd spelling mistake, like on the web interface, shairport-sync is written as 'shaitport-sync' within the player settings menu.

If the source was on github or similar I could fix and submit a small pr, try to help and contribute in a small way until i build more knowledge.

8 hours ago, the_bat said:

Try webrestart from the command line?

1 hour ago, antonellocaroli said:

tried to clear your browser cache?

gp-update works?

I tried the restart, but its saying the 'web' process has 'crashed'.  

I tried gp-update too but its the same result.

How can i access the log for the crashed web service ?

processes.png

1 hour ago, Gordian said:

Thanks. Just tried but I have no idea on how to send the music from Chrome to my Airplay renderer. 

Could you please help ? 

hey, i think shairplay is to facilitate the Apple \ IOS ecosphere.  So its only supported Airplay.  In chrome, i've only ever been able to send music to a Chromecast Audio, which is a different thing.