IGNORED

GentooPlayer

My side do not have issue with I2S as well with directa. I suggest you use a good DDC that may solve your issue. (means RPI directta usb to DDC and out to I2S).

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) -> RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host -> RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Tubulus Concentus USB Cable -> Holo Red DDC -> Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:
HD600 moded, HE1000v1, airpod pro2, Sony WH-10000XM5

Thank you all for the replies regarding Diretta on GP. 🤩

I would prefer using it with I2S because my transport is a RPi based and enhanced with Ian Canada FIFO Q7, HDMI-Pro and UcPure and of course I prefer using I2S input of my DAC.

@Badd99 are you saying Diretta on USB is better than I2S in terms of SQ or just it is easier to setup?

I am using a Intel NUC (i7,16GB RAM) as server (Ubuntu with Roon Core / Daphile-LMS) and a RPi transport as I said earlier (picoreplayer - squeezelite).

Even with Roon I am not using RATT, but Roon-squeezebox option enabled and picoreplayer as endpoind and the SQ is pretty good. I also use LMS instead of ROON, very good SQ also.

I am wondering if it could be SQ benefits if I will use GP on both server (NUC) and transport (RPi) using Diretta.  

@antonellocaroli Is it possible in GP to setup a Roon Core and Diretta Host on the same server? But LMS and Diretta Host?

I am doing LMS + Diretta host on same RPI4b. see my sig. But I now I am experimenting separating them (meaning total of 3 rpi4b, one LMS, one host, one target)

Speaker system:
RPI4B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + LMS (upnp plug-in) -> RPI5B + UPNP + Diretta host -> RPI5B + Gentooplayer CLTO kernal + Diretta Target -> Tubulus Concentus USB Cable -> Holo Red DDC -> Tubulus Concentus i2s Cable V2 -> Holo May KTE I2S -> DIY silver wire balance -> Holo Bliss KTE -> Ansuz Diamond balance -> BAT Rex 500 -> ASI Ref speaker cable -> ASI Tango
HP:

10 hours ago, mavwong said:

My side do not have issue with I2S as well with directa. I suggest you use a good DDC that may solve your issue. (means RPI directta usb to DDC and out to I2S).

This is not i2s. This is usb. Using a ddc is usb to i2s which is what I do. These are very different things. Using a ddc is not native i2s. 

I also use Ian Canada ucpure FIFOq7 ect and I use his new receiver pi ddc for usb to i2s and that works well. I am talking ease of setup. Without the ddc, it was finicky with the fiopi. 

I'd really like to install an M.2 hard disc in a Mercury Pi2 and store music on it

Does Gentooplayer permit this, and what is the procedure ?

I hope this is not a big ask.  If not practical, please say so

The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club.  Achieve astonishing sound
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2, Devialet 440CI, REL sub, ML Electromotion, 2 x Dachshunds

37 minutes ago, chrisc said:

I'd really like to install an M.2 hard disc in a Mercury Pi2 and store music on it

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/pi2-design-idiot-proof-ready-to-go-rpi-aes-streamer.10471/page-57#post-409318  . There are several posts related with it in Mercury Streamer thread.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/pi2-design-idiot-proof-ready-to-go-rpi-aes-streamer.10471/page-49#post-400105

and  the oldest post was provided for Moode. But it's similar..

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/pi2-design-idiot-proof-ready-to-go-rpi-aes-streamer.10471/page-30#post-379113

Thanks.  I had already read that post and got the impression that it was not working as expected

There are references to command-line instruction.  When a monitor is connected to the Mercury, the boot sequence is shown.

How do you log into this interface to for example, mount a disc? 

The Cape Town Hi-Fi Club.  Achieve astonishing sound
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2, Devialet 440CI, REL sub, ML Electromotion, 2 x Dachshunds

23 minutes ago, chrisc said:

Thanks.  I had already read that post and got the impression that it was not working as expected

There are references to command-line instruction.  When a monitor is connected to the Mercury, the boot sequence is shown.

I have added the URLs of some other posts above. 

You can refer to the help page for Gentooplayer

http://YOUR_Gentooplayer_IP_ADDRESS:5000/WI/mount.html

and the actual page for configuration is 

http://YOUR_Gentooplayer_IP_ADDRESS:5000/index.html#/Mount%20Local%20Disk

23 minutes ago, chrisc said:

I have mounted remote ssd drive from Synology NAS. In order to do this, I edited manually /etc/fstab from the commandline using ssh. It uses CIFS  protocol to mount remote ssd drive with right permissions. If you already have a NAS server which is attached to the same network via ethernet, I think this approach is much better than directly installing the ssd on the streamer, Mercury.

nano /etc/fstab

UUID=9561-85F6          /boot           vfat            noauto,noatime  1 2
UUID=6f39d3fc-ee1a-4a16-b8f4-3f5380427280          /               ext4            noatime         0 1
#/dev/mmcblk0p3          none            swap            sw              0 0
//192.168.1.25/music /mnt/Synology_Music cifs vers=3.0,username=admin,password=xyz123456,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw,uid=1000,gid=500,nofail 0 0
//192.168.1.25/music/playlist /mnt/Synology_Playlist cifs vers=3.0,username=admin,password=xyz123456,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,rw,uid=1000,gid=1000,nofail 0 0

On 11/30/2023 at 3:25 AM, chrisc said:

Just get a m.2 to USB adaptor, Orico made quite a few of them. plug in to the USB port then under system base config, mount local disk. follow the form select the right partition, done. I did this for LMS server. Take note on my side I can only do up to 1TB, partition more than 1TB seems not able to recognize.

Speaker system:
HP:

10 hours ago, mavwong said:

Just get a m.2 to USB adaptor, Orico made quite a few of them. plug in to the USB port then under system base config, mount local disk. follow the form select the right partition, done. I did this for LMS server. Take note on my side I can only do up to 1TB, partition more than 1TB seems not able to recognize.

Back when I was down the rabbit hole of M.2 adapters I went the Orico route first wanting the highest speed possible.  I dug deep into the chipsets that each company uses and the Orico sounded pretty harsh in my system.  I found the best one 'for me' was the following on Amazon:

SABRENT USB 3.2 10Gbps Type C Tool Free Enclosure for M.2 PCIe NVMe and SATA SSDs on Amazon

For the SSD itself I chose the lowest power drawing unit which sounded much better than my faster ones:

SK Hynix Gold P31 on Amazon

For some reason, high speed, be it on the interface or on the SSD itself did not improve the sound.  I found going the opposite direction, slower speed and lower power gave a big improvement in sound.  Of course this is all system and ear dependent and many people would say they all sound the same.  Just thought I'd share.  These mount very easily in Gentoo.

1 hour ago, WuBai said:

I found going the opposite direction, slower speed and lower power gave a big improvement in sound. 

Lower rates of transfer are always better for the sound, because the chips are less noisy. 

For the same reason, the gear makers stick to USB2, and do not implement USB3. 

It's the same with the Ethernet. 100 Mbs is common for the ports of the audiophile gear. 

IMG_3792.thumb.jpeg.9722a9e223dbd6fe77e5d52e7d673607.jpeg

I solve noise issue of the whole RPI with these lolz. Sorry for the poor workmanship. The orange tdk low esr cap really help smooth out. 

Anyway I also order the sabrent one to try out see if I can hear a diff or not. My server is far from audio room and in following setup :

LMS server RPI (where hdd is plugin)-> Host RPI -> Target RPI

Speaker system:
HP:

Dang, I guess I need to download quicker next time!

check RamSystem...wait
OK
check Profile...wait
ok
ok
file consistency check
wait...
Too many users have downloaded this file recently. Please try to access the file again at a later time. It may take up to 24 hours to download the file.
19 hours ago, antonellocaroli said:

Latency Test on my AMD system:

image.png.6c7fbf94695de330f9a8d6e336d248bb.png

Other Realtime System optimised on the same PC:

image.png.5a87a2b8af1c91d3f17c6c5200f8ff22.png

image.thumb.png.856e6052653e6060297f5324c56064ad.png

Thanks for sharing !

I've enabled the settings & the improvement is more than any kernel/version upgrade. 

Is it possible to adjust these settings on rpi4 gentoo as well ? If yes, kindly share the settings.

Amazing work !

DDC: Singer SU6, Metrum Ambre

DAC: Metrum Pavane, Weiss 205

Amp/Preamp: AGD Audions, Herron VTSP 360 Ref

HP: Raal SR1a, BS650, BP580, HE6sev2, Yamaha HP1

Speakers: Kairos 

Do you know when I'll be able to update from 8.30 to 8.40?  It keeps saying "Too many users have downloaded this file recently.  Please try to access the file again at a later time.  It may take up to 24 hours to download the file."

Please don't say "Yes I know how long you'll need to wait....24 hours."  😁

I've just never seen this message before on previous updates.  I did run GP-Update multiple times already.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, lithiumnk said:

Thanks for sharing !

I've enabled the settings & the improvement is more than any kernel/version upgrade. 

Is it possible to adjust these settings on rpi4 gentoo as well ? If yes, kindly share the settings.

Amazing work !

I transpose the existing 6.6 parameter in RPI and sound increase is really Amazing I agree with you

Qobuz Studio -> Audirvana Studio Linux on RPI5 Gentoo Player v8.60 (kernel 6.8.1-GentooPlayer-ULTRA-CLTO-TEST+ , Shanti Alim, tweak kernel) -> Holo Red GP Mpd/Upmpdcli (same kernel) -Silver I2S> Holo Spring 2 kte -Silver XLR> BC Accoustique 362 D -> Quellis 1 Optima.