IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

Hi, I'm currently using an ultrarendu and sonic transporter i5.  I'm interested in the optical rendu, systemoptique and/or optical module, but I'm confused how I can use any of these optical products in my system setup.  I read the threads in this forum, and also the article in Audiostream about electronically isolating the system using media converters and fiber cable, and I'm trying to figure out how to integrate optical into my current setup.

Currently, I run a modem into an eero router, and the eero, STi5 and a powerline base unit into a non optical switch. That is all in the basement.  In my living room upstairs I have the ultrarendu which is plugged into the 2nd powerline module and the DAC.  Everything runs on ethernet and usb.

Is there a way to take advantage of any of these new optical products and if so what is the way to set them up in in my current system.  Which of the products do I need and what would the setup be? What would get plugged into the optical switch SFP port?  How do I use the opticalrendu if it and the DAC are upstairs in a separate room from the router, switch in the basement? 

Thank you for any clarity you can shed on the subject and help with the setup.  Regards everyone.

2 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

You would use a fiber medial converter or FMC. You connect your Ethernet cable into one end and the opticalRendu to the other end. We are making our own FMC to follow the release of the opticalRendu called the opticalModule.

Hi, thanks.  When you say connect the ethernet cable into the FMC do you mean the ethernet cable from the powerline unit that is currently plugs into my ultrarendu? So, all I would need is an optical module and the opticalrendu?  Would I still need an optical switch? And if so, what cable gets plugged into the SFP of the switch?  Sorry, but am trying to understand the setup. Thanks again for any help. 

26 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

All you would need is the opticalModule, but you can use a switch if you want to. If the switch has an SFP port then you can connect it directly opticalRendu. The SFP port takes an insert that outputs optical Ethernet and we will be selling the SPF inserts to assure compatibility from end to end. 

So just to be clear, I connect the ethernet cable from the powerline unit in the living room into the OpticalModule and then connect the opticalModule with the Opticalrendu,. Is that right? 

Also, do I continue to use my Ultrarendu or does that get replaced by the opticalrendu? 

Sorry if I sound ignorant about this topic, and thank you for your patience.  

42 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Musikfan, I used that exact powerline-plus-optical arrangement with my microrendu until I replaced powerline with ethernet cable from my basement to the living room upstairs.  The powerline terminal upstairs was connected to a consumer grade switch, which was connected by a short ethernet cable to a Trendnet media converter, which in turn was connected to another Trendnet converter using a fiber patch cable.  The microrendu was connected to the second converter with a very short CAT 6 cable.  

People say that this is a noisy way to go about making a connection to the microrendu but I had no complaints.  The connection always was reliable and my audiophilia nervosa took some comfort from knowing that I had done something that conventional wisdom says might reduce whatever noise there was. 

Hi Mike, thanks for your response.  It sounds like you had a very similar network setup that I use currently.  MayI might try adding the media converters to see if it makes a difference to the sound. May I ask if you also had a consumer switch downstairs in the basement besides the one in the living room?  I am using one switch in the basement into which I've plugged the eero, powerline base unit and the sonictransporter  i5.  But it sounds like I would need a second switch upstairs to run the media converters.  Thanks, James

2 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

At the time, I did not use a switch downstairs.  The originating powerline adaptor was connected directly to the router, so there was no switch in the system prior to the one in the living room.  I would not have used a switch upstairs, either, if I hadn't also needed to connect a Blu-ray player and Fire TV Stick located in the same room.  

This is a bit off-topic, but I presently am using pairs of patch panels and Netgear SoHo switches downstairs in a cabinet because I now have a ton of ethernet cables running to the living room, bedrooms, and office areas throughout the house.  Sonore, however, recommended that I connect my current rendu (a Signature Rendu SE) directly to the router.  So, I disconnected from the switch the cable running up to the living room port where I connect the rendu. I then ran a cable directly from one of the router ports to the same patch panel where the rendu port cable terminates.  There, I used a short cable to bridge the two cables, which allows a wired connection between router and rendu without going through either of the switches.  I don't know that that affects the rendu's connectivity one way or the other, especially with a patch cord bridging the two cables, but at least I have removed a variable when troubleshooting by getting the switch out of the connection.

Mike, thanks again for your assistance and advice.  I think I will try connecting the 2 media converters and fiber cable upstairs.  Your help is greatly appreciated.  Regards, James

2 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Don't worry more news is coming soon. Chris said it's the best Rendu we have ever made and everyone who has heard it agrees)   

Hi, I'm thinking of getting the trendnet 4-port gigabit with SFP slot to use with the optical rendu.  What optical fiber cable should be used between the optical rendu and the optical switch?  Also, what SFP optical transceiver module should be used with the switch? Thanks, James

• 2 months later...

Hi, I've had the opticalrendu for about a week now.  It's powered by a CI Audio power supply.  Both units are cool to the touch. I used to run an ultrarendu with uptone lps 1.2.  I wanted to post my initial listening reaction with the opticalrendu in the system.  First, I've noticed that I'm able to play my music at a lower volume...probably 3-4 db lower than before.  Also, it appears to me there is greater separation in the music, better imaging and soundstage, with some added details.  There has definitely been an improvement in the music. It's not night and day difference but certainly an improvement in clarity and focus.  I'm quite happy with the opticalrendu. Nicely done Sonore.

Question: I'm using the "orange" optical cables...in earlier posts on this thread there was mention of "blue" optical cables as a possible upgrade.  Are the blue cables recommended, and if so could someone post a link or the name of the cables.  I think they are available on Amazon.

Thanks everyone.  Champions League Final reminder....go Liverpool!!

Hi, I bought the OpticalRendu and am very satisfied.  I've been reading some of the posts about the OpticalModule and am a bit confused about the need to add the OM to the setup.  Currently I'm using the optic fiber switch and SFP Module that came with the SystemOptique bundle.  I connected the OpticalRendu into the switch via the SFP Module, and the OR via USB into the DAC.  My question is whether I need (or can use) the OM into this setup and if so, where do I plug the OM into the switch - into the SFP Module or into one of the non fiber optic ports?  And do I then plug the OM into the OR? I hope I've explained correctly.... (I did mention I'm a bit fuzzy/confused)....thanks very much!!  

• 1 month later...

Hi, i have a question regarding the OR and etherREGEN.  I am using the opticalrendu + optical module, and the OM is plugged into an eero unit.  Would I still need to get an Uptone etherREGEN?   If so, how would the OR and OM be plugged into the etherREGEN? As I understand it, the OM would have to be dropped from the system.  And on which side of the etherREGEN would  the eero be plugged into?  Thanks.

Hi, thank you for the responses.  Much appreciated.  I wonder if there are any OR and OM users that may weigh in on whether they see any perceived benefits to adding an etherREGEN to their systems.  I'm not sure I understand what added benefit the etherREGEN brings if one is already using an OR and OM.  I'm also using a sonic transporter plus Chord Dave+Mscaler.  Again, thanks.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, sgb said:

I first had the oM => oR but now I have Etherregen (B to A) => oR. For me and in my system Etherregen (B to A) => oR sounds best. Standard PS for the Etherregen and a SBooster mkII BOTW for the oR.

Hi, what kind of benefits or improvements did you find changing from the OR+OM to OR+ER? Thanks.