IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

20 minutes ago, Davidny said:

I experimented with HQPlayer and Roon on a MacBook Pro connected by USB to a PS Audio Directstream DAC, which upsamples internally to 20X DSD.  I had fun playing wit HQPlayer but after trying countless combinations I concluded the Directstream DAC sounded best without any processing by either HQPlayer or Roon.  

Here’s a link that discusses the issues with pre processing before inputting to a DAC.

https://www.psaudio.com/article/this-is-the-article-title-here/

In the Tambaqui  “...all incoming digital audio is upsampled to 3.125MHz/32 bits and converted  to noise shaped PWM”  Given this internal processing, which seems unique and to my ears makes the Tambaqui sound very special, I doubt that pre processing the digital signal with add anything, and more likely will subtract from the end result.  

But if you try HQP let us know what you hear, one never knows unless you try it for yourself.

I agree with your comment - its likely the best of HQPlayer cannot be achieved with this DAC.  Which leaves me at an odd cross-road - can a good direct (no decimation, tampering of DSD) 1-bit convertor with a streamer endpoint good enough to keep up, match the Tambaqui? 

Unfortunately for me the UK dealer isn't offering even a half decent trade-in deal so I guess I won't be finding out anytime soon... nevermind.

• 8 months later...