IGNORED

My customer journey with Paul Hynes...

Being on the quest for high performance power supply for my DAC since several months, I eventually ended by ordering an SR7 to Paul Hynes.
The man is known to build terrific good power supply for audio gear, so it looks to be a logical choice to get something crafted by him...

Normally, I should now start writing my SR7 user impression in "The Paul Hynes SR7" thread under Equipment>Music Servers, the simple reason I'm not there is that my SR7 is not here...

The power supply was supposed to be delivered on December 20, the schedule was very realistic since Paul had everything on hand but the transformer which was confirmed being ordered by him on October 1st, 2018.

I'm still scratching my head, why this ended wrong, also why he didn't rise the flag when it was obvious for him our deadline could not be met, also why he did choose to not answer my e-mails inquiring for update...

As it seems now obvious I'm not the only one waiting on something to be build by Paul, I believe it's worth to share my whole customer journey with him, let's start with the message I sent him yesterday, after he announced everybody on this forum he will be off for holiday till January 2nd, 2019.

My words might sound rude to some here, but I believe it will be enlightening for a majority. Personally I would have appreciated someone else did that before I engage with Paul ...not necessarily that i would have refrained to do so, but it would have made the situation much more clear.

Subject: Thank you Paul...

Hi Paul,

Hereby I would like to thank you for your work, punctuality and customer care.
Having delivered my order in time and matter, as promised is really delightful...

...yep, this is the kind of words I would probably have been glad to write yesterday December 20 or any other day before, provided you would have been able to hold your engagement Paul.
Also, this is kind of message you would have been proud to receive, as every master workman and gentleman would deserve.

Instead of that, I'm let alone with the disappointment of your inability to just finish and ship something that represents barely 3 days of your work.
Let alone to come with a clear and simple status of your progress so far on this very job...

I'm puzzled by some of the reasons rose to possibly hold you to deliver my SR7 order.
Moving premise is known time consuming, but since most of the related tasks and material are late, lost or wrong, I see no point to not work and do progress on your outstanding SR7 custom builds.
Those are hand made by you and do not require a full factory to be completed, as all previous SR7 delivery demonstrate.
Aside of that, weather conditions, health and family is something everyone has to deal with, be insured I'm with you.

I imagine that you will be soon off for holidays - btw, how come you are never late to take holidays ? - such a sense of duty and self-respect.

In the meantime, I will think further about our arrangement, the way you manage your part so far and possible consequences.
Failing to deliver and not contacting me proactively when it was obvious our deadline was at risk falls clearly below expectations.
Not answering to my e-mails asking about update just adds insult to blunder...
All in one, your customer care attitude is not in line with the fact that once you took my money you committed to deliver and therefore are in now in debt.
I would feel ashamed at your place Paul.

As I would like to finish on something positive, may I wish you luck Paul, this is something you could get usage of in 2019.

Sincerely, François

Seems my post has raised the attention line...

Quite a long and exhaustive answer from Paul, few lines very specific to my e-mails, in due time would have been good enough.
Also as disappointed I'm that original agreed deadline has been missed, I'm fare from thinking on an escape.
Quite opposite, accounting I'm few working days close to the goal, I'm expecting Paul to resume his work and deliver my build as defined and agreed.

Even being highly disappointing, main problem is not missing a rated achievable deadline, but

1. misleading informations which trigger my commitment on this very build
     2. missing to update customer when it was obvious original delivery agreement is at risk or cannot be hold
     3. ignoring customer e-mails asking for update on the progress of a specific work

4. finally not even a personal apologize prior to announce widely going off for holiday break on this forum

I have to apologize being only a very beginner regarding custom build paid in advance protocol, on the other end when it comes to business and agreement, I'm pretty sharp.
It remains, I'm alway open to find a solution, but for that there must be established and trusted communication first.
So I will write to Paul and expect he will answer this time and the forthcoming one till my build get delivered.

17 hours ago, kumakuma said:

It's shame that it had to come to this but I think the central issue isn't the delay in delivery but the failure to respond to the OP's email requests for updates.

Perhaps Paul could add a page to his website showing where individual orders are in the queue so his customers can get some assurance that things are moving along. 

You spot it, no communication is the trigger point issue here.
Provide more visibility will automatically lead in more delivery.

It remains root of disappointment here is even not that, neither the length of the queue, but clearly the dry throughput, especially in the recent months.

Based on what is posted on CA, there was zero SR7 delivery since end of August, and about 14 delivered in the first 8 months of 2018.

How comes "production" can be on hold during four consecutive months ? ...this is 1/3 of a year and the remaining 2/3 with less than 2 build per months was already not a fast lane.

• 2 months later...

After more than two weeks since last message from Paul regarding SR7 custom build ( #504, March 1st ) and nothing from him either in my mailbox, I have to resume posting on my "customer journey" thread.
Possibly Paul has lost his e-mail password, or what else critical and unexpected happened on his computer or his Island, ...etc

Nevermind, I luckily still manage to get good access to my e-mail, so here are the messages we exchanged since begin of 2019
Exchange might not be the right word, since I only get one answer from Paul on January 2nd, and then a big nothing.

At least I have now a build number for my SR7, just need to know if a builder is still available at the other end of the line ...or if I need to issue a flight ticket for a factory tour ?

---------- Forwarded message ---------

Date: lun. 25 févr. 2019 à 14:11
Subject: Re: Remaining work on SR7DRMR2XL for François

Hi Paul,

Could you please answer to my previous e-mail, thanks.
François

Le ven. 22 févr. 2019 à 15:22

Hi Paul,

Seven weeks now since I read a message from you regarding remaining work on my build...
From your last message last leg was planned to start on last week, so I would like to get some update on progress, please.

Kind regards, François

Le jeu. 3 janv. 2019 à 22:57

Hi Paul,

First of all thank you for your rapid answer, this is appreciated.
Also the good news is that you have all material on hand for my build, which means that aspect is safe now.

The less good news is that provided you resume your custom build work on next week :

• you propose now to move forward on my order in the week of February 11th, this is in six weeks from now
  • also work steps description looks now to have become a full new build effort, 5 + 2 working days, aside shipment

Reading back again into our email exchanges from last September, your original selling pitch doesn't match well with today reality...
As a gesture of goodwill, I will not open legalist debate yet and prefer to look forward on your work to be eventually done, as agreed.

However, I would like to rise that I will not wait again and hopeless for months, Outer Hebrides is not that far, and I always wanted to visit Scotland.
So I keep trust in you to deliver, in the meantime I'm expecting to be kept informed upfront, on a regular basis, of your progress until my order get shipped.

In conclusion, may I wish you all the best in your workplace preparation and custom build endeavor...

Kind regards, François

Le mer. 2 janv. 2019 à 18:52

Hello Francois,

I am well, thank you. I can certainly do with some steadiness in my 
life. The aim of the new premises is to provide a platform to allow 
this, as there is now scope for hiring helpers to deal with the 
workload.

I understand that you were disappointed that the custom build order you 
took over did not arrive as planned for the Christmas holidays. In an 
ideal world this would not have happened, but unfortunately it has 
proved impossible to predict how the future will unfold for a queue of 
custom build orders, as there are so many variables that can affect the 
process.

When I informed you of the fresh availability of custom build number 23 
due to a customer wanting to completely reconfigure his power supply 
application I had finished build 14. After checking the build schedule I 
concluded that it would be possible to get build 23 ready to ship in 
time for delivery by 20th December assuming there were no issues along 
the way that caused delays. Unfortunately there were quite a number of 
delays mainly due to issues getting the new premises operational, and 
legally usable regarding health and safety regulations, but also 
including a number of family health issues demanding my attention.

At present I am still awaiting two three metre aluminium extrusions to 
anchor the work benches to the walls before loading them with equipment 
and stock. I am told by the local shipping forwarding agent, that these 
should be delivered tomorrow afternoon. I had assumed delivery today but 
had forgotten that the 2nd of January is a Scottish national holiday. I 
have everything ready to machine the extrusions for fitting and the 
process of fitting and loading should be finished by the end of the 
week. I am also still awaiting a solder fume extraction system 
installation but have temporarily sidestepped this delay by ordering a 
couple of bench fume absorption units that should also be delivered 
tomorrow.

I am afraid I cannot be precise with lead time estimates for reasons 
already given, but can only estimate that assuming no further delays 
beyond my control, given that I will be continuing with build 18 next 
week if all goes well, and the build you have taken over is build 23, I 
expect to start build 23 during week beginning 11th February. Allow five 
working days for build, two day soak test and admin/packing ready for 
shipment collection. Once the parcel is packed and weighed for shipment 
I can then book a shipment collection by the parcel carrier, which is 
usually within two to five working days from booking the collection. 
 From that point onwards delivery is in the hands of the parcel carrier 
and their local forwarding agents. Tracking will not proceed until the 
parcel hits a UK mainland International Hub.

Regards,
Paul

Date: mer. 2 janv. 2019 à 12:05
Subject: Remaining work on SR7DRMR2XL for François

Hi Paul,

Hope this email finds you well on the return from a relaxing Christmas - New Year brake.
I also wish 2019 will bring steadiness in your life, less surprises, therefore more customer satisfaction in your business.

Regarding our arrangement, based on your email from last September 26 the only missing part for my SR7DRMR2XL build was the transformer.
This part ordering has been confirmed done by you on October 2nd and is now in your hands.
Remaining work on this build are:

• Mounting/wiring the transformer
  • Modifications/adjustment on the regulator modules to get 12V DR configuration
  • Assembly of two DC6FSXL cables – 0.5m no terminal plugs
  • Soak test and final touch up
  • Packing and shipment

Would you please confirm my understanding is correct and provide me a clear deadline for each of those steps.
Thanks in advance for you reply.

Kind regards, François

The other SR7 thread was initially thought for collecting SR7 user impression and feedback, i don't want to pollute it with all the journey it unfortunately takes to reach that point.

Sure other power supply manufacturer exist, it's fortunate too as if all the world would have to wait on Paul's power it would be in short supply (pun intended).

Main reason I queue in was the good feedback from AS users fortunate to lively enjoy one of those famous Paul Hynes SR builds, also this article and finally the fact an SR7 build was made available...

Factually I'm five working days close to my SR7, the only problems is that the builder had many excuses to procrastinate this work in the last six months, and still today is nowhere responsive.

In short, I don't queue for money but for supply...

• 2 weeks later...

Sad to read about all this lack of customer support, issue can always happen, but accounting the price of kit and the wait, it deserves a minimum of close follow-up.
For my point of view this is priority one to address, regardless of premise, weather, holidays or what else excuses that could come to mind, this is question of reputation and credibility...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

After first delivery endeavor of my SR7 is now missed by more than 6 months, here a small update of my long journey...

Aside a detailed message Paul sent me on January 2nd, telling that my build (#23) was expected to be started in the week of February 11th, I had zero other news.

Having first choose to keep waiting quite on a spontaneous message or a sign from Paul, I finally after 4 months decided to break this silence. So I couldn't resist to try my luck again on the paul@paulhynesdesign ping rate lottery...

Unlucky wise, evendo I did pay attention to send my message during his open office time to maximize chances of a hit, my kind message remains without acknowledge - not even "Hello world" - since 17 days now.
Again not a very polite way to treat a pay in advance customer for which delivery is stuck in a fuzzy backlog.

For the sake of completeness, I want to add that since initial agreement and payment end of September 2018, I didn't change my mind or order - so no re-specify fever is hitting on me 😉

Date: mar. 11 juin 2019 à 14:37
Subject: Build #23 - SR7DRMR2XL (2x 12V) with DC6FSXL cables – 0.5m length no terminal plugs

Hi Paul,

Could you please provide me some update on SR7 outstanding build progress.
Seems crazy things have settle down now, factory capability has been restored and you delivered some parts...

I would appreciate you give me a personal feedback after your last mail from 2nd of January which is now more that six month away.
Thanks,
François

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AnotherSpin said:

Feel free to do it yourself. It will not harm to be nice and polite while writing and entertain your irony somewhere else. I am pretty sure it will help expedite your order as it did in my case. Paul Hynes is not a factory, it is one-person production by a man who may have all daily life issues, also with health, as me and you too. If you want boutique item you just can not apply the same expectations as in the volume production world.

I don't negate you could have a reasonably good experience with Paul Hynes at time you ordered and got your SR5 delivered timely.
Also that you could stay in touch with Paul and still exchange e-mails on a regular basis, even become friends and maybe a good friend of him.

What I do want to rise with my still very polite message is that such lovely experience with Paul Hynes is gone, the gold standard in 2018/2019 has become:

- first you get in touch with Paul about any of his "available" products, during that time Paul is pretty responsive and kind

- then you agree and pay for something that has a achievable delivery time

- then you wait, wait, wait and wait again and again...

Time to time you read news from Paul on this forum, but hardly, if not never, you get a direct message from him explaining what's going on regarding what you agreed and paid.

Evendo what was agreed represents one man week of work and that delivery time for all material since you paid would have permitted to reach the moon or even another planet.

In summary this has nothing to do with being polite, kind or even open for some irony, it's just this one man business has lost the sense priority - means customer satisfaction.

Back to my message,

As a good friend of Paul, I would rather encourage him to find back his motivation, go to work and finish what he promised and got paid for than patronizing his current waiting customers.

• 1 month later...
As my SR7 order is now paid by more than one year and still not delivered, I have to resume posting on Paul Hynes customer journey thread.
Below sequence show how I contacted Paul early September 2018 and how compelling, kind and responsive he was during the ordering process, until my money arrived on his account.

This is mainly to warn other potential customer of Paul Hynes about his particular way of work ...enjoy the read.

2 oct. 2018 à 10:14
Excellent news Paul, thanks for the message, enjoy your day.
Kind regards, François

1 oct. 2018 à 16:23
Hi Francois,
Your funds transfer has arrived, thank you. I have ordered the
materials for conversion to ensure no delays.

Regards,
Paul 

mer. 26 sept. 18:00
Hi Francois,
The power supply is sold and I will confirm when the funds arrive.
Pleased to help.

Regards,
Paul

2018-09-26 16:56
Hi Paul, 
Ok let's move forward, assume this material is sold, I will confirm
transfer once done ...money might take few days to proceed down to your account.

Thanks for your time, kind regards, François

mer. 26 sept. 17:44
Hi Francois,
Actually the total cost is £1899.71 but if you want to send £1900 that 
is fine.
The bank details are correct and you should have the power supply before 
20th December.

Regards,
Paul

2018-09-26 16:33
Hi Paul,
Ok, so total it's GBP 1'900.- that I will have to transfer to your
bank account to get those items, before December 20, 2018

* 1x SR7DRMR2XL – 2 x 12V 3A
      * 2x DC6FSXL – 0.5m no terminal plugs

Your bank account is:

Barclays Bank PLC
>> 
>> 
>>
>>
>>
Is all that right ?

Kind regards, François

26 sept. 2018 à 16:38
Hi Francois,

Excellent. Confidentiality is good.

The Barclays International bank transfer handling fee is 6GBP, which is
not bad for banks. They usually want an arm and a leg.

To ensure a speedy shipment I have a quote to ship via UPS Express Saver
and this will cost £108.16 including all the packaging for safe transit.
Insurance for loss or damage in transit will cost £43.55 and including
the Barclays fee of £6 the total to add to the goods cost would be £157.71

Regards,
Paul

On 2018-09-26 15:14
Hi Paul,

The config match my dream and I'm a very discreet person
...indeed, I'm Swiss 😉
Let's move forward toward the full quote.
Just unclear clear yet regarding Barclay bank transfer fee, is it 6£ or 6% ?

My home address is:
>>> 
>>>
>>>
Kind regards, François

mer. 26 sept. 2018 à 15:03
Hi Francois,  

Sorry I made a typing error for the power supply it is actually an 
SR7DRMR2XL not an SR7DRMR4XL so it fits your dream config but just 
requires a new mains transformer and module modification as described in 
my last e-mail.

I would be unable to add a new SR5 or SR7 custom build to the order list 
with less than an approx 180 to 200 working day lead time so this 
SR7DRMR2XL cancellation is your only option for before Xmas delivery.

I should add that this arrangement should remain confidential as I have 
people awaiting notification of any order cancellations, several of 
which have become good friends, and I do not wish to upset them.

The cost of the power supply will be :-

1 off SR7DRMR2XL – 2 x 12v 3A            £1530
2 off DC6FSXL – 0.5 no terminal plugs     £0212
Total Goods cost                                         £1742

I will need a delivery address to get a shipping quote and also any 
funds transfer costs should be added like paypal (4.5%) or Barclays 
international transfer handling fee of 6%.

Regards
Paul

On 2018-09-26 13:31
Hi Paul,

This sounds good, my dream config would be SR7DRMR2XL (2x 12V >2A) -
is that possible starting from this SR7MR4DRXL you have on hand ?
Otherwise what would be closest proxy you can build with prior
December 20 ETA ?
Also please give me a full quote for the SR7 + 2x 50cm DC6FSXL DC
leads without terminal plugs, so I know what it will cost.

Tanks and kind regards, François

mer. 26 sept. 13:20
Hi Francois,

This may be good timing on your part. I have a customer wanting to 
upgrade his SR7MR4DRXL order (DRXL is the highest performance 
specification in the range), which I am building at present with two 3A 
rails, to a HD build with three DR 6A rails in a much larger Streacom 
FC10 chassis.

I will have to modify the SR7MR4 as it will require a new mains 
transformer to suit your applications and I will also have to modify the 
regulator modules to provide the 12v DR configuration. Lead time for 
mains transformers from my transformer manufacturer is currently 30 
working days to shipment so I should have a mains transformer delivered 
here by mid November if I get the order in quickly. I can schedule the 
modification and soak test for the third/fourth week in November and 
assuming no issues along the way it should be possible to ship this 
power supply during the first week in December. This still leaves plenty 
of time for delivery by 20th December.

This power supply will go quickly so let me know if it is of interest.

Regards
Paul

On 2018-09-25 21:55
Hi Paul,

Sorry it took me a bit of time to come back, I had an event to
organize and attend.

Your kind feedback confirms my fear, I would have to wait till next
 March before enjoying a serious power supply update for my DAC, this
 is not something I want to engage on.

I'm looking for a solution ETA on December 20, 2018, so I can enjoy it
 during Xmas break ...it's best holiday time in the year to enjoy my
 sound system.

I see that you still sell the SR5 and 160VA should be enough for my
DAC (2x 2A/12V)
I would then be interested in either one:
 SR5MR2XL   £1020
or two:
SR5DRXL      £935

...but then I would like them mounted in a single chassis, as 2x224
just does not fit the width of my rack - 448mm > 445mm 😞

Could you please clarify availability of such SR5 based solutions, do
you think such supply would be available prior this Xmas ?

Many thanks,
Kind regards, François

Date: lun. 10 sept. 2018 à 18:06
Hi Francois,

90 working days means that my build would start early February 2019 is 
that right ? ...and how long to build and ship ?

PH: 90 working days will mean an early February start. It usually takes 
around 7 working days to build and soak test a large Multirail power 
supply. Shipment can take longer than parcel carrier quotes as none of 
them have offices in the islands and we are classed as a remote area. 
They use local forwarding agents who travel the islands twice a week for 
deliveries and pickups. Parcels then go to the forwarding agent’s depot 
in Lochmaddy where the parcel is transferred to another van for transit 
via road and ferry to Inverness on the mainland where the parcel joins 
the main parcel carriers system for normal transit thereafter. The 
transit from here to the parcel carrier can take between 4 to 8 days 
depending on the weather and the ferry schedules. You should have the 
parcel by the beginning of March.

SR7DRMR2 is a dual rail with two 6A (HD) regulators in cascade by 
rails, so it's two separated 12V/6A outputs with 150dB rejection 
DC-100KHz ?

PH: Correct

SR7DRMR2XL is same as above but with silver internal wiring from 
capacitors, regulator up to output connectors ?

PH: Correct but also includes Jaeger ultra low impedance DC connectors on 
the chassis (designated XL connectors). The non XL build uses silver 
plated XLR connectors for the DC connectors.

Size is same for both above systems: W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 266mm ?
PH: The SR7DRMR2 uses the SR7MR4 chassis to allow the fitting of the four 
regulator modules. This measures W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D = 346mm.

Cost is £ 1,200 for SR7DRMR2 or £ 1,530 for SR7DRMR2XL, or do I miss 
something ?

Need probably to add some DC cable like  £ 186 for DC6FSXL ? Is it 
possible to have shorter than 1m, e.g. 50cm and no terminal plugs ?

PH: You can have 50cm DC6FSXL DC leads without terminal plugs and these will 
cost £106

Need to add £6 for international Barklays bank transfer

Need to pay for shipment to Switzerland
Need to pay for custom tax to Switzerland

Need to pay VAT for Switzerland

PH: The SR5 power supplies are still available.
I no longer sell the regulator modules used in the SR5 and the SR7.

Regards,
Paul

On 2018-09-09 22:24
> Hi Paul,

> Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
> Just to clarify some of my understanding and assumption after reading
> your SR detail document:

> 90 working days means that my build would start early February 2019
> is that right ? ...and how long to build and ship ?

> SR7DRMR2 is a dual rail with two 6A (HD) regulators in cascade by
> rails, so it's two separated 12V/6A outputs with 150dB rejection
> DC-100KHz ?

> SR7DRMR2XL is same as above but with silver internal wiring from
> capacitors, regulator up to output connectors ?
> Size is same for both above systems: W = 224mm, H = 130mm, D =
> 266mm ?
>
> Cost is £ 1'200 for SR7DRMR2 or £ 1'530 for SR7DRMR2XL, or do I
> miss something ?
> Need probably to add some DC cable like  £ 186 for DC6FSXL ? Is it
> possible to have shorter than 1m, e.g. 50cm and no terminal plugs ?
> Need to add £6 for international Barklays bank transfer
> Need to pay for shipment to Switzerland
> Need to pay for custom tax to Switzerland
> Need to pay VAT for Switzerland

> Aside SR7 custom build that no new order is taken do you still sell
> SR5 or regulator modules ?

> Looking forward to your answer, kind regards, François

Le sam. 8 sept. 2018 à 18:48
>> Hi Francois,
>> 
>> The only cancelled order currently available is an SR7MR4, which I am
>> scheduled to start building in approx 90 working days. This can easily
>> be re-specified as an SR7DRMR2 or the higher spec SR7DRMR2XL if this
>> would be your preference.
>> 
>> I have attached the current SR power supply details so you can see
>> all the options and their cost. Should you wish to proceed once you have
>> read this information we can finalise the specification for your application.
>> 
>> Regards
>> Paul

On 2018-09-06 22:22
>>> Hi Paul,
>>> 
>>> I read from CA forum [1] that you might have SR7 cancelled order awaiting for transfer...
>>> 
>>> I'm currently on the quest of an improved 2 rails 12VDC / 2A power
>>> supply solution for my DAC. Main power in my country is 230V AC / 50Hz.
>>> 
>>> In case you would have something open, possibly fulfilling my needs,
>>> could please let me know what and which delivery date ?
>>> Also what are regulator options for the two rails, I read about DR is
>>> that something you still do ?
>>> 
>>> In any case, thank you in advance for your reply, kind regards,
>>> François Morier
>>> 
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37373-the-paul-hynes-sr7/?page=16  
20 hours ago, Possum Jenkins said:

There really is no excuse for this, and it's a borderline fraud.  According to companies house this guy is born 1951, you would have hoped for a little more integrity.  Can't deliver?  FULL Refund.

Borderline for sure, may I add pathetic observing his rise and fall...