IGNORED

Schubert on Period Instruments from Blue Coast

Seems quite nice from what I've listened to: https://bluecoastmusic.com/new-esterhazy-quartet/schubert

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Based on the YouTube audio linked from the Blue Coast website, my impression is that the New Esterhazy Quartet plays with very little dynamic or rhythmic expression, especially after the first 2 minutes.  Jud, if this is your first exposure to this piece (Schubert's final string quartet, no. 15 in G), you might want to complement it with a more mainstream interpretation.

The Miró String Quartet is deliberate like the New Esterhazy but is extremely probing without eccentricity.

Other mainstream performances that are a bit faster and skip the repeat in the very long first movement are the Emerson Quartet and the Melos Quartet of Stuttgart.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Listened pretty extensively to samples, and it seems that what really does it for me are the period instruments.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud, do you want me to see what period instrument recordings are recommended by Fanfare magazine?

Are you already familiar with Schubert's 2 preceding string quartets, the piano quintet, the string quintet, and the 2 piano trios?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7