IGNORED

It *cannot* just be about 1's and 0's - surely?

Mazza

I think that may still be the same battery/shield setup as the analog cables.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, Hugo9000 said:

I think they say that it's the same, but we only have their word for it (and haven't they been caught using a few "tricks" in their demos over the years? lol)

Not that something couldn't be going on with this cable, but I've attended two of those demos, and no volume shenanigans at those (I provided files of recorded excerpts for one in a thread here).

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 hours ago, Jud said:

Not that something couldn't be going on with this cable, but I've attended two of those demos, and no volume shenanigans at those (I provided files of recorded excerpts for one in a thread here).

3 hours ago, STC said:

I have taken part in the so called AB test where the difference was audible. IIRC, Dr. Aix too confirmed the level difference.

I just checked, and though Dr. AIX (Mark Waldrep) was informed of the thread here recounting his statements that AQ turned up the volume for its power products by 2-3dB vs. another manufacturer's for the demo he attended at LAOCAS, and said he did have the recorded files, as far as I'm able to tell he never provided those either here or on his site.

So in the one instance I'm aware of where we've got actual data it shows no volume difference, but it appears folks here are assuming the demos are rigged by turning up the volume anyway.

Now it could well be that AQ has been guilty of these things in demos other than the two I attended, or of massaging the signal in the OP's USB cable so as to increase loudness.  I'm not here to vouch for them, just to note what went on at two demos.

Something that makes me a bit skeptical of claims of loudness tweaking at demos is that this sort of cheating is so easy to catch, and is so utterly unnecessary.  In the demo for which I provided the recorded files showing no loudness difference, what happened after the music played was simply that the AQ rep stood up, said "OK, what did you hear?", and waited expectantly.  Sure enough, one person started to describe how the AQ power equipment sounded louder/better, then others joined in.  In a roomful of people, social cues and ingrained courtesy are virtually always going to get you this result.  Knowing how to suggest a response non-verbally is trivial; most magic acts depend on it.  That's all AQ has to do, no screwing around necessary, no chance of getting caught doing anything untoward, and people will swear the AQ equipment sounded louder/better.  Just ask the question and you get the desired answer, and even better, people think it's their idea since you weren't the one to actually verbalize it.