IGNORED

How Should Speakers be Stabilised?

On 12/28/2018 at 7:40 PM, look&listen said:

WTF? Much can be learned from writings of Barry Diamont & John Swenson on theory of operation of roller isolation & more. Much good discussion here if search older posts! I soon look at recommended Sistrum documentation.

Have mental model of roller isolation as mass of supported device tending to stay at rest (like physics law) while rest of world buzzes around under it. Issues of retention, materials, friction, mechanical impedance, hardness, concentricity. e&. there too, as implementation details, but takeaway is physics to rescue  :)

So maybe better for you to dig deeper before announce a pox on both houses?

I have very carefully read all of the Barry Diament threads on this topic (and virtually all of the other vibration threads on Computer Audiophile).  Barry's methods make a huge amount of sense in terms of isolating equipment from outside vibrations.  His roller bearings (if built correctly) should isolate equipment from horizontal vibrations quite effectively, but can't do much in a vertical direction (which is why he also uses inner tubes (or air bearings) to create some level of up and down isolation. 

But think about what his roller bearings do for his Magnepans.  Every spring is tuned to be more or less compliant at different frequencies, in other words at some frequencies the spring acts as a highly effective isolator and at other frequencies it behaves just like a metal spike.  I believe that Barry has worked to make sure the natural frequency of his roller bearings is below the audible range of his Magnepans.  If that is true, then they should act as spikes (stiffeners) for all audible frequencies, while effectively isolating any nonaudible frequencies that might still affect the frame of the speaker.  Separately, if you look at the designs of many other "roller bearing" applications, what you see are fairly small dishes in which the sides roll up quickly -- which means that the amount of isolation is highly limited, probably to far less that the excursion limits of a 20Hz woofer.  What does that mean as a low frequency driver plays softer and louder notes? Are the softer notes fully isolated, whereas in the louder ones the excursion limits are reached?  

As to the Sistrum system, I loved the following review: "Sistrum Rack Systems allow the speaker generated resonances and the associated airborne resonances to happen. If it vibrates; let it. This is a concept that we just don't hear about. Absorb, absorb. Isolate, isolate! Well, their speaker support system is a complex vibrating conduit, composed of a secret (patent pending) metallurgy formula, and added geometrical design that directs, very expeditiously, resonances to earth's ground with no back-feeding effects."  Sure enough, if I can just make the resonances go away by "sending them to ground" then I don't need to worry about either isolation or absorption...  You just need the right metals and geometries...

I'm not so much trying to announce a pox on either absorption or isolation (or for that matter stiffening), I just think that in this time of computing, analytics, big data, etc. we can do better than most of the explanations I see as to how or why a certain technology works, or what it is trying to protect us from.   

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)