IGNORED

Measurements & Sound Quality

Ralf11

12 hours ago, iaval said:

Some did, they'd say "use your ears", but I can't even find the service manual for that to check for input parameters. I tried all sorts of plugs, all sorts of configurations, impedances, standards and Vrms but I'm still getting no sound, only microsonics from the unstable connection. So I figured the best way to enjoy music is with a scope. 

Perhaps you were plugging into the wrong end of the horse. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

• 2 weeks later...

Psychoacoustics plays a significant role as well. Measured characteristics vary as to their effect on sound quality because of the nature of human hearing and its differing sensitivities. 

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

On 12/20/2018 at 7:43 PM, Jud said:

So even if you didn't know what to measure for musicians playing together, you know how to get your software to reproduce it.

Or not, if the other option is selected. :)

Query: Does the same result apply to all or most recordings? If so, the "other" setting arguably serves little or no purpose.

On 12/20/2018 at 8:50 PM, STC said:

That's because you are listening to sound not music as a whole. A good sound engineer can hear the difference of 0.5dB but for rest of the music lovers it means nothing.

And what evidence, apart from your opinion, do you have to support this statement? More importantly, while it is true that a recording played at a higher volume is usually preferred, loudness is anything but the most important characteristic when it comes to sound quality.

14 minutes ago, Jud said:

Peter at least currently has posted on his site different settings for two different types of computers.  These represent a sort of consensus among Peter and his customers.

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation. I am not familiar with his software.

2 hours ago, STC said:

Remember the Dutch(sic) radio comparisons? Or ask how many here could tell the difference of 0.5dB or how about research papers where after practice one could distinguish difference no previously noticable?

What has that got to do with sound quality? You are talking about loudness. Assuming, without necessarily agreeing that differences of 0.5dB are not noticeable by the majority of hobbyists, that has no bearing on whether they are able to hear differences between the sound quality of well recorded high resolution material and lesser recordings.

1 hour ago, STC said:

Maybe I should have started the sentence with “For an example”.  

I was trying to describe that some accuracy even when detectable by some not necessary to contribute to improved sound quality for enjoyment. 

Btw, it wrong to assume whenever something is louder it will be perceived to be better. A louder gramophone will never be any better sounding than a CD player. Higher volume will always be better provided the sound quality is at the above the threshold of human discerning ability. 

I must confess I have no idea what your point is. As to generally preferring a louder version, I was obviously talking about material played on similar systems. Why you would even consider comparing apples to oranges is beyond me.