IGNORED

AudioLinux and NUC Troubleshooting and Tuning

rickca
Message added by austinpop

Summary of useful findings and recommendations

This section will be a living repository of useful info from this thread. It's very similar to a wiki and will be maintained by a small group of thread moderators.

Before you get started please refer to the Audio-Linux website to ensure you have the latest info and the proper versions of the OS. Audio-Linux.com  

**** Updated for AL 1.30 menu 118 or later.

"First Run" setup for headless.  

Setup your NUC with a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to the NUC BIOS settings.  From the menu note the IP address of the machine to SSH into.  From a MAC the macOS terminal program supports SSH:

324537708_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_02_19PM.thumb.png.739dc7f9cdb05e04da806c7c66877332.png

Then it is simpler to cut and paste into the terminal session. After entering the password for the audiolinuxuser you will be presented with the AL headless menu:

1518375894_ScreenShot2019-01-28at3_04_18PM.thumb.png.a7b2867a163f8f014e56e52ff69f94b4.png

Option 8 takes you to the command line for the following basic setup.  You will need to be the Root user for this setup and the su command first:

su

Fix the time zone:  (this is my timezone - look in directory /usr/share/zoneinfo)

timedatectl set-timezone America/Chicago

Setup and Start NTP daemon (to keep the system time in sync)

*** the config file is now properly filled in.

Now Start the daemon

timedatectl set-ntp true

NOTE: Sometimes the system takes a little while to get synced up.

Set hostname  (this provides a unique name for the machine on your network.  Replace <NAME> with your chosen name)

hostnamectl set-hostname <NAME> 

Once the above items are set up your machine is ready to be configured for say a Roon bridge/endpoint. That is done using the AL menu.  To return to the menu do the following commands.

exit

menu

----------------------------------

For most of us, the following basic settings are key.

From the configuration menu:

6. START and enable Roonbridge

15. SET Realtime Priority to extreme

16. ENABLE ramroot (reboot after)

Return to the main menu and reboot the NUC using 

11 Reboot

------------------

Roon Server setup is a bit more complex and we will cover it completely a bit later.  The key is where you are booting from and where the Roon database is stored.  In general; say a 32gb OPTANE "SSD".

• You have to partition the SSD into a boot drive and a storage drive.  
  • The transfer the USB stick install to the boot partition.  
  • Reboot from the boot partition.  
  • Do the basic setup. Timezone and name
  • Transfer the Roon Database to the storage drive
  • Start the Roon Server

----------------- 

The machine will reboot and from the display attached to the NUC you can watch it boot up and load into RAM.  Once the AudioLinux menu is showing the endpoint should be available in Roon.    This completes the basic startup sequence.  The system is ready to start testing.    

9 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Who else concluded this? Just curious. 

16GB of RAM for the Core and there should be no DB issues. Save to RAM is super easy with Piero's one click menu item. 

I played around with Optane as a drive and as memory for months but found it a little more edgy than without. Since it's behind the switch and not in the endpoint it will have less impact. I'm of the mind that anything requiring power is going to add noise. The only question is how much. 

I’ve tried it both ways on the server, and concluded for myself the trade off is worth it.

You may disagree, which is fine.

16 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Yes there are many ways to skin the audio cat. No reason for everyone to agree on it all. 

On another note I think the 400w HDPlex supply is an improvement from going through their converter, even with the SR7. A very slight improvement, but one none the less. Thanks for the recommendation. 

You're welcome. That was always the question, wasn't it. Does a decent (but not Paul Hynes quality) LPSU like the HDPlex 400W, with independent rails for each ATX voltage and the CPU, sound better than a single SR-7 rail followed by a DC-ATX converter. Your finding is really valuable, as you seem to have concluded that good as the SR-7 is, it is undone by the limitations of the DC-ATX converter. Of course the ideal would be a very high quality multi-rail ATX LPSU, which is where the Sean Jacobs of the world come in. This is why the ZENith's cost so much.

Regarding Optane SSD on the server, here's how to think about it. If the premise is that any media (USB stick, Optane SSD, etc) add noise, then the cleanest path is to place the Roon DB on the root partition, boot off a USB stick in ramroot and remove the stick. Of course, now your database is transient. You can't run the ramsave timer because there's no media to save to. The only way to persist changes is to manually insert the stick and do a ramsave. I've tried this path, and even though I'm a meticulous person, have forgotten to do this step before rebooting for whatever reason. Poof - changes lost.

OK, so let's add the Optane SSD. Well, now the noise penalty, such as it is, is ever-present. So is there an advantage to having the Roon DB in the root partition, so it gets loaded into ramroot? Not that I could hear. And the downsides are - it takes longer to boot, it requires more RAM (without the DB, I can easily run with 8GB RAM), which consumes more power. By moving the DB to a separate partition which is mounted, all database I/O is persistent to that partition, not transient to the ramroot RAM disk.

On the endpoint, no question: no media sounds best. Boot off a USB stick and remove after boot. Since there's no real "state" to persist with Roon Bridge of Squeezelite, this works great.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Monge said:

Hi austinpop,

I tried you SqueezeLite buffer and alsa settings on my NUC with 8GB ram

• OPTIONS="-n sq-NUC -o hw:CARD=Interface -b 2097152:2097152 -a 52428800:4:: -D"

and made an USB stick with 

• OPTIONS="-n sq-NUC -o hw:CARD=Interface -b 2097152:1572864 -a 52428800:4:: -D"

for Tidal streaming and wow it sound very nice. What can I say. Thanks a lot 😀

Regards Monge

Very glad you found this an improvement!

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

@austinpop

Could you add this to your sticky "Summary of useful findings and recommendations" as I think it would be useful for newcomers.  After much effort (and advice from Piero) I now have AudioLinux working perfectly and am very happy.  I would suggest that the following steps are therefore recommended as 'good practice' for a new installation.

Before your suggestion to enable RAMROOT please include the following guidance:

1. Exit to console and run system upgrade (network connection to internet required obviously)

For updating the system (expert users)
pacman -Syu

after this, update the AUR packages with
yaourt -Syua

Running the latest version will help avoid any unexpected behaviour of audiolinux (e.g. WiFi config not working correctly etc...).

2.  Set default soundcard, by following guidance here: https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Setting_the_default_device, which is:

Find your desired card with:

cat /proc/asound/cards

and then create /etc/asound.conf with following:

defaults.pcm.card 1
   defaults.ctl.card 1

Replace "1" with number of your card determined above.

I found this to be important as audiolinux sometimes wouldn't allow me to set and retain the desired audiocard/DAC within AlsaMixer.  This config file means that it'll always work.

3. Very important - only run one audio service at a time! For example don't run RoonBridge and uPNP functions at the same time as it will cause a conflict with no sound / unexpected behaviour.  Stop and disable all audio services, then select the service you want (reboot might also be required)

Actually the content in sticky up top was created by @bobfa, so I'd as him to consider the changes you recommend. 

(The AS topic owner actions have some quirks, so the sticky shows the owner to be whoever originally created the message, not who last edited it.)