IGNORED

Core Audio Kaia DualRail 12V + 5V PSU 230V

Up for sale this piece of art a Core Audio Technology Kaia DualRail PSU with 12V + 5V. It wotks with 230V and it can output up to 25A! This is the best way to feed anything that needs 12V or 5V. A PC with Core i7 a DAC, a streamer… anything

The sound is so strong, full with body, great soundstage, clearness in the whole sound. This is a rare oppurtinity you can’t find this power on the market today.

It has some small scrathes on the top but nothing serious.

Let’s meet the Kaia Audiophile Linear Power Supply
The Kaia was originally designed to spec for aerospace and satellite applications where wide bandwidth and ultra-low noise is paramount, specifying less than 1uV RMS at 12VDC. The Kaia was a redesign to allow for scalable output current and versatile dual-rail options so that the power supply could be used to drive two devices from a single unit. This is not only better bang for the buck, but also allows for simpler power management.

Dual Rail Options
The second rail on the Kaia is an optional $400 upgrade. It is best used to power a DAC, external hard drive, or PCIe USB card. Many customers use the primary rail to power a computer and the secondary rail to power their DAC. The secondary rail utilizes a Belleson low noise regulator, so you are guaranteed excellent performance from our second rail as well, no LM317s here.

Scalable Current
Many of Core Audio’s partners sell custom music servers. Some servers utilize 400 to 700watt power supplies, and so it is important that output current be fully scalable. Transistors are kept on their own separate boards to allow for additional boards to be added as necessary for over 150A of maximum output current. Obviously this isn’t needed for our Mac Mini music servers or most devices, but it’s good to have the room for expansion should it be necessary. Current can be scaled on both primary and secondary rails. Of course, the power supply only draws from what wall what it needs. So just because it can output 25A doesn’t mean it will use 25A from your wall at all times.

Keeping our cool
Core Audio Technology likes to keep things as cool as we are to ensure a long life and greater reliability. Beyond that, heat constitutes 50% of power supply noise in the same way that heat can kill your sound in computer audio. So we go overkill with our designs, designing our regulation circuits for 4x the output current that your specification requires*. So for a 6A Mac Mini power supply, our Kaia is designed for 24A continuous output current. This keeps power dissipation on the power devices lower, meaning greater efficiency. Our design has a vent path across the width of the chassis. This can be supplemented with a silent fan to force air through the heat sinks and across the chassis, which also keeps heat away from sensitive circuitry and the pass devices cool without the need for a fan on output currents below 25A.

Mechanical design
The Kaia is almost completely SMD and made by machine. Connectors are board-mounted to eliminate internal wiring. This makes it very easy to add expansion boards and eliminates noise picked up on output wiring. In addition, it makes build quality consistent and reliable.

Key Features of Core Audio Technology’s Kaia Power Supply

• Ultra low output noise 2uV RMS
  • Dual rail output available
  • Scalable output current
  • 4-pin XLR output connector
  • Best quality parts: Completely SMD, Organic Polymer capacitors and MLCC, no resistors, discrete design.
  • Factory Adjustable output voltages

More info: http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/core-audio-announces-new-linear-power-supplies/

New price was 1800,- USD

My price: 550,- EUR

DSC_8335_cr.jpg

DSC_8333_cr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Kaia is a good LPS, but it should be noted that the company, Core Audio Technologies, has been defunct for some time, so there is no adjusting of output voltages at the factory, as stated in the description. Rather, if needed, it's a DIY or a tech's job. Perhaps also the input voltage too?

1 hour ago, highstream said:

The Kaia us a good LPS, but it should be noted that the company, Core Audio Technologies, has been defunct for some time, so there is no adjusting of output voltages at the factory, as stated in the description. Rather, it's a DIY or a tech's job. Perhaps also the input voltage too?

You're rght that the manufacturer doesn't produce new devices. 

This one works perfectly, it has two outputs: one 12V and one 5V, it can easily feed a PC with a CPU with 80W TDP. It is very stable. If you want to upgrade your device and it needs 12V or 5V or maybe both, this is your LPS!

If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me.

I'm open to offers.

16 hours ago, highstream said:

I’d seriously consider an offer were this in the States. I have a Kora, the Kaia’s predecessor, which  got frm the company very inexpensively several years ago. It is wonderful in many respects but in lack of tonal warmth. It will also be a tough sell. Good luck,

We agree this is a very good PSU. :)

I built my own 100% DIY one LPS, I use that for my PC.

The sound of the Kaia is very powerfull, precise without any colorisation. It can be feeled that it is without tonal warmth but I have never thought it.

It is worth to make a try.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...