IGNORED

Audiophile VS Musiphile - Your Thoughts?

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

at classical (and most jazz) concerts it's not needed at all - yet all too often, there it is. 

I attended a performance by The Bad Plus at an old church in Toronto. Of course the concert used "SR", as you call it, and within the first minute the mic on the piano fell inside and lay directly on the strings. It sounded absolutely awful, but the sound guys did nothing. So the drummer (who's always been my favourite in the trio) got up, walked over, and pulled the mic out of the piano. A little later the bass player said if we had any friends who couldn't make it that night they should drop by tomorrow, as the reverb would probably still be audible.

31 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

Our goals as end-users, end-consumers, is to not part with our money in the cases you have brought forward.  This includes not buying the physical media or attending venues/concerts where the only criteria is LOUD.

Live performance is how most musicians earn their living. Without a paying audience you're going to run out of melo to phile.

23 minutes ago, The_K-Man said:

But did you understand the context in which I commented?

The context of sheer loudness.

If that requires audience members to don earplugs or other forms of sound suppression to be able to tolerate the show, then something is wrong.

It is unfortunate that loudness is the prime criteria at live performances, whether by request of the performers themselves, by request of the venue providing the experience, or as someone else recently suggested, hearing-impaired or otherwise loudness-driven sound engineers.

Our biggest vote, one equally important to the one on election day, is the vote via our wallets.

Sorry, I missed the "largely" in your opening post:

Audiophile: In love with how music sounds on their equipment.

Musiphile: Loves how music itself sounds - on any equipment.

I place myself largely in the latter category.  How about you?

Yes, concerts in bars are way too loud and compressed, but so are movies, and years of consistent wallet-voting on my part has done nothing to improve the movie theatre experience. I saw Soft Machine at a bar a few weeks ago. I knew it would be a foam earplug event, but it was a fun evening with friends and some great musicians. I think I lean to the first category. If you're avoiding live music because the sound isn't to your taste, it's a stretch to call yourself a melophile. However, I understand your original point, and frankly I'll be very surprised if anyone pops into the thread and confesses that their primary use of recorded music is testing their audio system (even though many of us know people like that).