IGNORED

Soundstage Width cannot extend beyond speakers

STC

7 hours ago, semente said:

From what I understand, with a real stereo two-track recording you can't get images produced outside of the are between the speakers.

Why not? I don't know where this assumption comes from. There are many different types of speakers. In the most extreme case, IEMs, or any headphone, the soundstage clearly extends beyond the "speakers", front, back, side to side ... 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

1 minute ago, semente said:

Indeed. But as far as I understand the topic is about loudspeakers, not earspeakers.

Ok, so let's take some small planar loudspeakers -- do those count?

Now place one directly to the side of your right ear and the second one directly to the side of your left ear.

Listen.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

If you want to continue a discussion, then at least provide a quote from this book that explains your position. Telling me to read a book written in 1973 to understand what you're saying is a very unconvincing argument.

Even more apropos is the article from the current AES journal and it’s discussion of reflections regarding soundstage. 

Seems to me this discussion imposes artificial conditions on the setup in order to try to prove a point. ITD is not the only factor relavent in real world listening.

24 minutes ago, STC said:

Ok. Under summation effect where  do you think the violin will be located? It is easy to calculate and let’s make it simple by agree the spread of sound rounded to 340m/s. Can you calculate where the phantom image of the violin will be produced by the speakers?  

Why bother calculating -- that's way too complicated. Just put the song on and listen. You'll hear the violin easily.