IGNORED

AIFF vs FLAC

Renerator

Prior to picking up a 2010 Mac Mini, I used a Windows 7 PC with JRiver MC15. I would download hi-rez files from HDtracks in FLAC for external hard disc for archive purposes, then convert (dbPoweramp) the files to WAV for playback. Now that I'm a Mac convert, I continue to download from HDtracks in FLAC and then convert (Max) the files to AIFF for playback through Pure Music and iTunes. My question, should I continue this process, or just download the file as an AIFF and be done with it?

Keep up the awesome work guys.

Thanks

Oyen Digital Mini-Pro 1TB HDD->Wireworld Starlight USB cable->Auraliti PK90->W4Sound USB cable>SOtM dx-USB HD USB to SPDIF Conv.-> Black Cat SilverStar 75 digital cable->Wyred4Sound Dac2->Cardas Quadlink XLR balanced cables->Anthem 225 integrated amp->Straightwire Rhapsody S->PSB Imagine T speakers

Hi Renerator,

I would suggest you keep the FLAC files as archive copies as Chris suggests. But personally I have found WAV files to sound better than AIFF files on my system, but you may not find the same on your system, it is probable best if you do an audition.

It is a subtle difference, but I found the WAV files gave a more realistic image of the instruments and people in the recording space.

Admittedly their are problems with storing the metadata with the WAV files, compared to the AIFF files.

When I compared the WAV's to the AIFF's, it was from ripping from the CD's, I have not tried comparing the WAV's and AIFF's converted from FLAC files.

I don't understand why you would continue with FLAC and convert to AIFF when a straight download to AIFF is available. Of course you will have to use FLAC for the 24/96 downloads. Is there a reason to download FLAC and then convert to AIFF that I do not understand. If not then I would think the less the conversions involved the better.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Thanks guys. Chris, I've tried to follow your ripping and storage methodology as closely as I can. My concern was, if one converts a hi-rez file from FLAC to AIFF, is there any loss of quality to the AIFF file. Also, since I've recorded and archived my cd's in FLAC, the same question came to mind. You've answered my question(once again!), so I will continue my past practice.

Thanks a heap.

Rene

Oyen Digital Mini-Pro 1TB HDD->Wireworld Starlight USB cable->Auraliti PK90->W4Sound USB cable>SOtM dx-USB HD USB to SPDIF Conv.-> Black Cat SilverStar 75 digital cable->Wyred4Sound Dac2->Cardas Quadlink XLR balanced cables->Anthem 225 integrated amp->Straightwire Rhapsody S->PSB Imagine T speakers