IGNORED

Help CA Find New Speakers

5 hours ago, barrows said:

I do not think that is IT.  The fact is, all loudspeakers are very compromised.  An audiophile is forced to choose which qualities in sound reproduction are most important to them, and (hopefully) they choose their loudspeakers appropriate to their preferences.

One who values dynamic expression over other qualities, might choose a horn based speaker.  One who values transparency, might alternatively choose a 'stat or planar magnetic, etc.  Unfortunately, there is no one speaker technology which solves all the problems of transforming the electrical signal to moving air.

Hmmm ...

Nearly all systems are very compromised, adding a layer of makeup, and deadening the intrinsic qualities of the recordings ... some choices open up the vista of what the recordings truly contain more than others, such as well done horn rigs.

What solves all problems is assembling a core of decent components, and then working on the weakenesses that remain - the technology of the speakers is only a minor player in this; and if one was sufficiently motivated a variety of systems with the full range of speaker types could be made to sound effectively, subjectively identical.

3 hours ago, barrows said:

@fas42, I do not disagree, but my main point was that loudspeakers, have much more compromise involved with their performance than any other component in the playback chain.  I suspect the reason is that the engineering challenge of converting electrical signals accurately into moving air is an order of magnitude greater than the of electronic-electronic interfacing.

Much more compromise in a readily measurable sense, but far less in key, subjectively highly relevant areas. If my only option to resolving subpar sound was to keep swapping speakers until "it was good enough" - I would throw in the towel immediately. It would be a doomed exercise, because I would be caught between using a speaker which effectively muffled the flaws earlier in the chain; or, one that let everything through, meaning only the "very best" recordings, which did the least to provoke or highlight audible problems, would be acceptable.

I have had enough experience listening to a range of speakers, from the most expensive to extremely good value for money units, to know that they can all deliver what's on the recording in a satisfying, consistent manner - if driven properly.

The real engineering challenge is understanding the need to address all the subtle, 'minor' issues that cripple the potential of most rigs - these are the compromises that do the real damage, and where focused attention to detail really pays off.

14 hours ago, firedog said:

As for Klipsch spearkers, I think a lot of that live sound is also due to the characteristics of the horns.

No, it's a mighty simple formula: the electrical characteristics are such that they are very, very easy to drive with very ordinary amplifier power; they cause minimal levels of stress to the preceding electronics chain - which is  a very smart thing to do!

The "live sound" is merely what the sound of the actual recording is - the sparkle hasn't been choked out of it by misbehaving electrical circuitry.

On 6/22/2019 at 5:27 PM, Paul R said:

I know you think differently Frank, but doing that is relatively expensive. That is why spending more money on speakers is almost always a good idea. 

If you know the 'right' speakers to get, :). As a BTW, I have never yet heard anything, in person, with the JBL logo on it produce sound that was worth listening to. I'm sure they exist, but every rig I've come across using them always smelt of 'pro' sound; you knew SPLs was the number one priority!

DIY is still the best solution, for people who are prepared to tackle that. Some of the current active speaker solutions are getting much, much closer - eventually value for money packages will come out, that will nail all the key needs ...

15 hours ago, GregWormald said:

I wonder how long it will take for "current drive" to become the norm. My 4 channel actives were considerably improved by the current drive option.

Of course I meant contemporary, when I used the word "current". How useful the concept of "current drive" of loudspeakers is I can't say; I have never investigated this area ...