IGNORED

New HDPLEX 200W LPS

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Please note, the issue I'm seeing is technically during self-test of the HDPlex DC-ATX converter. Yes, I'm aware of the need for the jumper if not connected to the motherboard.

I was able to borrow a more powerful adapter from a friend, with some interesting results. So to recap - even with no output connectors connected, the HDPlex DC-ATX adapter has an amber LED that will light up and stay lit if it successfully passes self-test.

The failure case I was seeing was that the amber LED would come on for a few seconds, and then go off. Here are some new results with 3 power supplies:

• 90W laptop adapter - 19.5V/4.62A. This did not work
  • PowerAdd Pilot batterY - 20V/4.5A. This did not work
  • 120W laptop adapter - 18.5V/6.5A. This did work.

Of course, the next step is to actually connect it to a mobo, and continue testing further, but this was a test to see if the DC-ATX converter was defective or not. 

The finding here - at least for now - is that the DC-ATX converter is not defective, BUT it does require a significant amount of inrush current (even without any load). At 19V, this inrush current IC is:

• 4.62A < IC < 6.5A.

You should look at the HDplex 200watt LPS amperage ratings on the 19V output. When I inquired, Larry said it was designed to work with their 400w DC-DC convertor. As per spec, the 19v output is rated at 10A.

15 minutes ago, lmitche said:

This past winter the Sigma 11s were replaced with a single Hdplex 200 watt supply with the fixed 12 volt output directly connected to the CPU and the fixed 19 volt output connected to the 250 watt DC to DC Hdplex ATX adapter. The two lT3045 outputs are used to power a hard disk and Startech USB card via additional Lt3045 regulators.

If I am not mistaken, @austinpop is using the 400w DC-DC ATX. Their requirement might be different that the 250w version but the 200w LPS should be able to power them both.