IGNORED

Chords New M -Scaler

On 7/25/2018 at 4:17 PM, firedog said:

Isn't this "filling in the gaps" a misconception? So I don't think that's the rationale behind the design. 

Yes. Fs= twice band limited signal is sufficient. Upsampling is something else (although I suspect it was a rhetorical question).

4 hours ago, Albrecht said:

"I still think he's overdone it to an extent that is hard to justify."

It is really great that very few people would agree with you, and form an opinion about a product on the basis of such unreasonable speculation. Also, a somewhat indirect insult to not only Chord engineers, but to others as well.

I think Mans’ was a perfectly reasonable post; suggesting “enough is as good as a feast”, to which Rob Watts would presumably reply, “yes - but too much is better!”

As has been suggested, it seems well within the capabilities of software often discussed here to upsample using similar parameters to those used by the M Scaler. It should be trivial (and there must be someone out there with access to both the Chord device and suitable software) to compare hadware with such software. 

Genuine question. What do you (anyone) suppose the M Scaler brings to the table over and above such a software implementation?

32 minutes ago, mansr said:

Food ingredients impart their flavour to the finished dish. That's all I said. Anything else is in your imagination.

For fuck’s sake Mans. You’re just digging a hole. You’ve got enough kudos here just to say “yeah - fair enough - bad analogy” (and it was). Get over it. Even I made a mistake once (allegedly!)

7 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Remember that to compare PCM upsampling to DSD upsampling is entirely apples to oranges. PCM upsampling is child's play in the need for CPU resources ... I upsample PCM to 768k on a dual Celeron. 

Are you suggesting therefore that what the M Scaler does is trivial?

On 7/30/2018 at 8:08 PM, Miska said:

Personally, I prefer apodizing filters, which can clean and replace (to varying extent) the impulse response of filter used at ADC and/or mastering stages. With typical filter used in DAC chips these days and possibly by Chord you are at mercy of filters used to create source content, so the results may be less consistent across source content.

Perhaps someone could develop an end to end solution such that the filters used during recording and mastering were well defined, and a complementary filter option chosen at the dac, thus authenticating the quality of the master...