IGNORED

Multichannel Dac with Streamer and Roon?

HI Karl,

Since you may be the only one online who has experienced with Multiple DACs for multi-channel playback, I would ask again (I think I did) regards the Brooklyn DAC way of doing M-ch. They now have a software for MAC only. Do you think that software can be used on other DACs other than Brooklyn Mytec DACs?, and I presume via USB, you think the clocking of the software is good enough ? Must need reclocking to the 3 DACs ?

Adrian 

I see, so there needs to be a clock either at the DAC level or the DDC that goes to each DAC then. I am not sure if the DACs I have or will get can be clocked together. I may need to try to clock at the DDC level (digital to digital converter.) You did mention about one DAC being the master clock. Can one of the DACs be the masterclock and helps to sync the other 2 DACs together ?  I think  PS audio is doing something like this.  

I did check with manufacturer that the mini dio8 works as masterclock to clock with the Computer but reclockong only at  the input only,  Not surenwhat that means. Probably means it will send out 8 channels based in the masterclock in the mInidsp but i suppose any jitter of the signal after leaving the Minidsp dio is not relocked. ? Does it require additional clocking of each DAC, not sure.

Here is the actual answer:

JUL 19, 2018  |  11:58AM HKT 
Tech support team replied:

Hello

Correct, the UDIO-8 will be the master to provide Clock and data to the DAC, the clock rate will follow the MAC PC sampling rate.

Reclocking only happen at the Inputs on the UDIO-8 to match the PC sampling rate.

Best Regards 

DevTeam 

miniDSP Ltd 
Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am-5.30pm Hong Kong Time zone / Thanks for your patience. 

JUL 18, 2018  |  03:01AM HKT 
Original message

I have bought your miniDSP U-DAC 8
But now I want to try U-DIO-8, because I want to to use my own DACs but I am not sure if this device can be connected to multiple external DACs, so can this device be connected to 3 DACs to do 5.1 multi-channel ? I would be using my Mac computer to play the M-ch files. Would there be reclocking issue? It appears the master clock is within the U-Dio itself correct? 

[[d862005bd193ebc9efb18ea92c9f0a59The

The reason I want to painfully use 3 DAC is  because I want to get 3 R2R DAC (or at least 2 for center and FL and FR speakers) to run PCM m-ch. i want to avoid signa delta chip DAC. I also want to try 3 chipless DAC for DSD.

i am now using their Minidsp DAC 8 which used AKM SD chip and works quite nicely! Consider it costs $275. It cannot do DXD Nor DSD.  A bargain nonetheless. I find one does not need state of the art DAC for M-ch. It is a lot to do with speaker placement. M-ch playback as much better soundstage anyway if u set it up properly. The instruments are solidly placed, less fatigue and strain on each speaker as the work is shared by 5 to 6 speakers. Sound is naturally more relaxed. I wonder how it would sound with 3 DAC and each is R2R DAC.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I am not aware of anything new. My plan is to hook 3 DACs up. I tried briefly using J Music player on Mac and linked 3 DACs, and despite each DAC being so different they sync ok.  Surely an external clock to clock them all may improve things. 

Unfortunately J Media player on Mac sounds terrible esp on DSD. Perhaps when I have the chance to load an Audio Linux on my PC and run J Media Player the sound would improve. But it appears tricky to use J Media player to link 3 DACs, but apparently can be done, at least per Pink Faun. Pinkfaun also makes a 3 I2S audio bridge output but it can only do PCM.

Also now I am mainly using either MiniDSP products - it has the budget 8 channel DAC (PCM only) and I have also tried with good result using this:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8

This clocks 3 DACs together quite well, but again only PCM 

If one buys 3 budget DACs ($1000 or less) it would be cheaper than exasound

Would it be better ?? Depends I guess.

I am wanting to run R2R DACs only for PCM sound so this leaves me no choice but to use 3 R2R DACs which should sound great. 

If you don't mind only limited to 24/192 hz, the minidsp DAC 8 works great, easy to use.

I am running Euphony OS ---> mini DSP DAC 8 ---> 3 preamp ---> 3 power amp.

You can use Roon on Euphony OS too though presuming that Woon can do m-ch on Euphony OS. 

I don't do network but use local files. I think the M-ch files are bigger so it is best to run locally, at least this is more simplistic

This is as budge solution ($255 for the mini DSP), can't complain. 

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

maximum sampling frequency
 I2S/PCM: 384kHz
 DSD: 11.2896MHz (DSD256)
 DoP (DSD over PCM): 5.448MHz (DSD128)
 SPDIF: 96kHz (stereo only)

https://www.oktoresearch.com/downloads/dac8_module_manual.pdf

SO I presume I can just use my PC and connect it via my USB and it should play DSD ?  It should be able to pass DSD 256 via USB, nice.

It says there is volume control with all channels, nice but I wonder if that is digital control and if so, then DSD won't work.

The big knob in middle for volume, I presume is the analogue pre-amp stage and should work with DSD. 

• 1 month later...