IGNORED

Forgive me Computeraudiophiles, for I have sinned

28 minutes ago, joelha said:

Volume wide-open, not a sound with my ear to my speakers.

Try connecting your amp directly to your headphones -- if you can't hear a noise you're deaf ?

Yes I think you are onto something but that's why I've been looking into and started listening to the HDTT transfers -- to either DSD256 or DXD 24/352 transfers ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

only those with the money or who are fully devoted to to the exercise tend to get this right, and then a "miracle" happens, :D. Amazingly rich, full SQ emerges - and one loses all interest in the analogue thing ... ^_^.

How about just once give us an exact description of a specific system of your own, and list each modification you made, specifically, in order to create your resultant miracle. 

11 minutes ago, fas42 said:

"Dumb" things like exactly how the interconnecting cables are organised, and positioned, can mean the difference between prime, and awful sound - just hooking everything together, and hitting Play, is guaranteed not to get the results you want.

Yes, it shouldn't be like that ... but the implementation of the audio gear used is normally not good enough - so you or someone else has to sort it out.

Frank, just one example of a single system of your own. Tell us each optimization you made. Can you be specific?

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Ummm, we've already been here - I gave an exensive list of what I did with the first rig, some time ago in a post on one of the threads. Dig it up, and we can go over it with a fine tooth comb if you like ...

The "fine tooth comb" approach is how it needs to be done, unfortunately. The audio friend up the road still hasn't achieved the best sound, even with me looking over his shoulder - he resisted doing certain things for ages, because "it's just too awkward, messy!" ... I knew this would always hold the sound back, but he had to convince himself of the need.

It's not an easy journey; if the gear one bought was better designed and implemented then "a lot of the nonsense" wouldn't be necessary - but at the moment it is.

Frank, you've repeated this 50,000 times. I can't go back and read each one of these repetitive posts to look for any one with details. Are you for real? Have you ever posted details? C'mon details of a single instance would be only a very small fraction of the words you write...

4 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Well, I used that "terrible" search facility here, with "Yamaha" for the term, and "fas42" for the author and came up with a whole swag of posts ... a key one was this,

Thank you Frank.

You've said many times that you first listen to the system using a recording and based on what you hear, you make changes.

1) What did you hear in this system that caused you to rewire the speakers?

2) you said rewired throughout? this system didn't have much digital except for the CDP. -- do you hardwire a computer? DAC?

What about digital connectors/ribbons etc? PCIe cards etc? Do you hardwire these?

3) have you ever worked on the types of systems we typically discuss on CA, i.e. ones with computers, networks, NAS, DAC, USB, ethernet etc? What have you done in these situations? Or do they have a different sound that causes you to do other things? What?

23 minutes ago, fas42 said:

Overall, I just don't have the experience to suggest the best moves here; what would be key is that the DAC totally controls the stream of data to its input, by whatever means, and that the highest levels of isolation are in place, electrically, between the source boxes and DAC.

If you don't have the experience with digital, then why do you keep claiming to have done this countless times? Or if you have experience with digital systems such as we discuss here, what specifically have you done?

2 hours ago, joelha said:

I agree that the tape is adding some sort of coloration. How many people have to love that coloration before we say "Maybe we're missing something in the way we reproduce music?"

As I’ve mentioned, the HDTT DXD/DSD256 transfers are sourced from 15 ips tape — surely if the tape is able to impart a coloration to a digital system, you’d find it in these recordings.