IGNORED

Installed new Oyen Digital 1TB MiniPro with Oxford chipset

The 1TB drive (pictured in Chris's new Music Server Enhancement Ideas article) is small, quiet and USB-bus powered. It replaces a 500GB wall-wart-powered USB WD Mybook formatted for FAT32 (I'm using USB cuz my DAC is firewire).

I had accidentally ordered the Windows version (Windows NovaBackup license included, etc) so the drive came formatted NTFS..and after iTunes told me I couldn't copy using it I quickly realized it and had Steve at Oyen Digital walk me through reformatting to OS Extended via Disk Utility. Simply stuff, and great customer service! Steve even sent me a new MAC license key for the NovaBackup software.

Anyway....the real reason for this thread is to report one thing and ask another.

Report: with this disc drive in place my Pure Music/iTunes sound seems to have a reduced noise floor and a cleaner, more detailed presentation...albeit ever so slightly less organic or midrange balanced (although that seems to come and go over the first 2 hr listening session...and we're talking split hairs here). It runs a little warm but not bad, and is dead quiet.

My question: I am using the included Oyen y-adapter cable (USB mini type B to standard USB, y'd for use with older USB 1.1 systems that require two USB connections...so one of the ends is just dangling unused) instead of the Wireworld Ultraviolet gold-ended USB (no mini plug) I was using previously....would USB cables from HD to Macbook make a difference?? I am a firm believer in cables making a difference, and own Livelines, Furutech, several great power cords, etc....but wondered about this simply due to the fact that it is not really part of the signal path, and even in its data retrieval it is buffered somewhat while using PM's memory playback.

Any opinions welcome. :)

Thx

Ted

I like cables that are short as possible. If you can use a 6" USB use it. I would not use the included cable. It is too long.

There are1' and shorter cables that offer every combination of connectotors.

I keep hearing that the cable between the drive and computer is not critical. Especially with PM where playback is controlled by the computer clock.

I would like to try one of those drives. Currently using all Iomega Mini Max drives. They are quiet and I think as good or better than the LaCie D2 Quadra used before. Just no FW800 ports on the Mini Max.

How much was a 1TB Oyen drive?

George

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

The drive's y-cable is about .5M (maybe 2 ft). The length didn't seem to be an issue, but I appreciate the feedback. The extra dongle seems less than ideal, too. I may just try a short generic mini-to USB one I have around here (edit: damn, they are all 1M or longer).

There are reasons that justify the cost difference between USB and FW/USB drives.

2012 Mac Mini, i5 - 2.5 GHz, 16 GB RAM. SSD,  PM/PV software, Focusrite Clarett 4Pre 4 channel interface. Daysequerra M4.0X Broadcast monitor., My_Ref Evolution rev a , Klipsch La Scala II, Blue Sky Sub 12

Clarett used as ADC for vinyl rips.

Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable used to connect computer to 4Pre. Dac fed by iFi iPower and Noise Trapper isolation transformer. 

Yeah, but for almost $20K, I expect an audiophile-grade Firewire Cable with gold plating applied by eunich gnomes.

(I found this while looking for the firewire 800 version, which seems to be sold out everywhere. The website says it will be restocked the 21st of July.)

Great, hopefully my post influenced you in getting the Oyen Digital Drive?

Powerbook G4 15 inch Aluminum, \"Fidela,\" M2tech EVO (BNC)with RF attenuator,dedicated PSU, Stereovox XV Ultra (BNC) Audio Note Dac Kit 2.1 Level B Signature Upgraded to 12AU7 tubes, ARC SP-16L Tube preamp , VAC PA100/100 Tube Amp), Vintage Tubes, Furutech ETP-80, (Alon 2 Mk2, (upgraded tweeters, Usher Woofers), Pangea Power cords, Omega Micro Active Planar PC. Signal Cable Silver Resolution ICs.