IGNORED

Lies about vinyl vs digital

Time and time again vinyl has been sweeter and smoother than digital. And the proof is in the engineering of storing and retrieving data. Cannot agree with science.

And please don't get me started with digital cameras and film cameras. Film photos is far superior in quality than digital's resolution -  any day

A very good comparison is a sketch artist

One draws a picture of a person based on data given by another person  - DIGITAL

Other draws a picture of the person from the person sitting right infront - ANALOG

Go figure which picture will be more accurate!!!!

Music after life

• 1 month later...
On 7/4/2018 at 1:12 AM, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Could it just be that *your* digital rig sucks??

(sorry, couldn't resist)

I think everyone here has heard music at audio shops and audio shows. So stating someone's audio sucks is pointless. 

Music after life

I think its safe to say new music is recorded digitally and probably playing it in vinyl, CD or file based will not make much difference in sound quality just what one's preference is. But if its old music vinyl hands down will sound better. Moreover, if there is a 45 rpm version it will definitely sound better than CD or file based.

Music after life

• 6 months later...
On 7/4/2018 at 4:07 AM, firedog said:

In the early 80's, if you had a typical entry level vinyl rig for people who cared about audio (say Shure or Ortofon cartridge and Dual Turntable), you may have been very favorably impressed by the sound of CD: no surface noise, lots of dynamics (louder than vinyl!), no clicks and pops.

But Vinyl actually has gotten better. Now that it is more of a specialty item and  considered expensive, the average  new disc is much better made and uses better raw material than back in the 70's and 80's. Cutting, mastering, etc are all more precise. 

Cartridges, turntables, and phono pre's have also improved (yes, I am talking in generalities and am not including "junk" equipment in my assessments, but stuff that is supposed to be good sounding). 

But, don't get me wrong. I have a turntable I never use and I prefer good digital to analog. It is orders of magnitude better than it once was, even compared to the beginning of this century. 

Can you share your analog and digital equipment and cost?

i have built both systems twice for the  same  cost. Vinyl had always been better  with music from 1950s - 1980s. With today’s music I would say it’s a toss up... they both are good in different ways 

Music after life

• 5 months later...
On 1/6/2020 at 9:58 PM, Rexp said:

Some folks like CD, you're one of them. The last two I tried were by Audio Research and Nagra, do they get any better? 

Well i heard the nagra cd player about 6 years back and disliked the sound. But have not heard the new cd players that nagra just released recently. Have not heard the new audio research cd 9se either - Note CD player is very susceptible to power conditioning and vibration  - minimize or eliminate those two artifacts and you get sweet clean musical sound ...

But here is a excerpt from just released article in hifi  - 

Perhaps one of the more interesting developments we have seen in the world of audio in recent years is the rise in the availability of high-resolution recordings, together with the equipment necessary to play these files. The origins of this development lie in the dissatisfaction, among some, with the quality of sound coming from Compact Disc. To be fair, much of this criticism came from the fact that, in the early days of CD, every record label rushed to reissue their analogue catalogue on the new medium with little thought of audio quality. It was deemed sufficient to have pop and click free sound. Consequently, the promise of CD was not really exploited until much further down the line. The fact is, CDs can sound absolutely wonderful with a top quality recording and attention paid to mastering and production. However, in many aspiring audiophile minds, the damage had been done and CDs became the villain

Music after life