IGNORED

Audirvana Plus 3 for Windows (Official Thread)

• 2 weeks later...

Screen shots, navigation and short SQ review of Audirvana + for Windows at Phile Web

Couple of worthy notes:

It is noteworthy that the first Windows version has realized the same sound quality as the conventional Mac version. 

First, compare it with "Windows JRiver Media Center 24", one of Windows's standard playback software. I played track 3 "LOVE" from Diana Krall "Turn Up the Quiet" (192 kHz / 24 bit FLAC). For tone balance, Audirvana Plus faithful to the original sound, JRiver tends to rise high and low. Especially the facial expression of the snare drum is very different, JRiver feels a bit flashy texture. Both upper and lower f ranges are comparable, but Audirvana Plus outperforms the depth of the sound stage and the reality of vocals.

Hijikata Hijikata

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 3 weeks later...

Today, was curious to see if A+ could be downloaded and a license purchased, yes on both counts. Eventually I know Damien will 'get it right', so am not anticipating a stroll in the park, so took the plunge and bought the license and the downloaded. As to which version, can't quite tell as yet, the synchronising is yet to materialise and provide a stable screen that responsive enough to find out a few settings.

Once the settings for the library are complete, the responsiveness goes rapidly downhill, and the library indexer takes over, and the response to do any basic navigation just tanks.

Jriver can actually play music, while cataloging music data, A+ is not so friendly. Even basic operations like minimising the application, causes A+ to see a ghost, and goes pale and doesn't respond. After several crashed restarts, the library indexer was let to run, and left for several hours to index the whole library, some 50,000 tracks. On return, there was only a small amount left to be synched, but saw more ghosts and crashed (not responding).

Now in the process of backing up the library database, two files, AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite (11.5GB) & AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite-journal (0 bytes), then deleting these and trying again. 11.5GB is a LOT of data, when indexing, A+ uses 30% CPU load. Finally see the version is 1.0.0 (1021). 

With an empty library list, A+ at least responds. There's no drag and drop from Explorer into playlist or the main library field. Major problem this. Imported one artist of two albums, and that's quick! Well let's see how another attempt to index the whole library works or fails, which the latter I think will prevail.

So far not good at all, but it's expected, since results with Mac are similar and not unusual behaviour. PC is a HP Envy i7 16GB RAM Win10 x64.

Further to observe Audirvana +, the new database file took about 2 hours to create. The audio output set to be the computer's sound card, rather than the USB Sony PHA-3 DAC. The new AudirvanaPlusDatabaseV2.sqlite file is now 5.2GB. 

The process of opening, and selecting any album is very sluggish. From opening the program, 20s to see the album covers, there are two types, circles for artists, square covers for albums. Then another 10s to open an album on locally attached USB portable drive. Haven't played anything yet. By default, A+ takes up the whole screen, if the 'restore' view button is clicked, we see ghosts again. I've lost patience now, and the program does close.

The desktop shortcut to Audirvana + is a shortcut to an application reference (.appref-ms) rather than the usual .LNK shortcut which links to an EXE. The .LNK shortcut has facilities to allow for different screen resolutions, which could account for the sluggishness, so had a look in the shortcut, there's nothing to set.

Program Files or Program filesx64 doesn't list any Audirvana folders, nor does AppData local/low or roaming. Fine, done enough looking, let's start a ticket. The site has the same disease as the app, dead slow to open. 

I know what Audirvana sound quality is capable of, and it is worthwhile pursuing, but if the app has obvious basic navigation and usability flaws....what's there to say. Wait. For a long time. At least the license is perpetual.

image.thumb.png.1b6bcf467c77e2f915376d36f7c4c94d.png

Large library lag is now gone, thank the stars for that one! Resizing windows now works quickly, memory used is 0.554 Mb, CPU time is less than 0.4 %. The new version uses the same database as before, didn't need to rebuild that one.

Currently mobile, DAC is a Sony PHA-3 (Senn PXC450) using the ASIO driver. Leaving the upsampling well alone, cause upsampling to DSD128, makes the mouse even crawl to molasses. What I do hear though compared to JRiver is tighter and more pronounced bass, better detail on reverb. Overall a more engaging sound, I'll be home in 48 hours, so will try again on the main system. If the sound is better, I can dump Roon, but a remote control is essential rather than mess with RealVNC. 

Am confident Audirvana can be installed on WinServer2016.

Back to usability issue.... where's the now playing button that brings you back to the album listing? Using the < button to navigate.

As far as a stripped down version is concerned, the items are missing are AU plugins as I can see. Upsampling uses SoX and usual power of two, quad or custom, DSD. I don't use Tidal or Qobuz, so can't comment on that although access is available. 

Of interest will be the uPNP streaming ability to very modest audio equipment eg Radios. And where's the remote? Even on iOS is OK.

OK, where's the command to install Audirvana totally skipping the MS runtime, since the runtime install is already on the machine and A+ can't see it's installed....

The log for the install.

'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 (x86 and x64)' RunCheck result: Install Needed
EULA for components 'Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.1 (x86 and x64)' was accepted.
Installation of components 'Visual C++ "14" Runtime Libraries (x64)' was accepted.
Copying files to temporary directory "C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDDE69.tmp\"
Downloading files to "C:\Users\XXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDDE69.tmp\"
(17/07/2018 07:39:47) Downloading 'vcredist_x64\vc_redist.x64.exe' from 'https://aka.ms/vs/15/release/vc_redist.x64.exe' to 'C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Local\Temp\VSDDE69.tmp\'
Download completed at 17/07/2018 07:39:49
Downloading failed with HRESULT=-2146697208

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, dsimms said:

I’m getting the same problem.  I can manually download and install vc_redist.x64.exe but running setup.exe always says the C++ libraries are required then fails to copy vc_redist.x64.exe to the tmp folder.  If I manually copy the file then click the retry button, it still fails as before.

I’ve tried running as administrator and turning off anti-virus protection but to no avail.  It looks like a permissions issue but I’m stumped for now.  Can anyone suggest a workaround?

thanks.

Yes , it does look like a permission issue are you trying on a Windows OS that isn’t Win 10 pro or home? There was a link in the beta days where the setup would install if the C++ library was already installed but that’s gone now.

On 7/25/2018 at 4:11 PM, dsimms said:

Thanks for replying.  I’m running Windows 10 Home Edition with all the latest updates.  I already use Audirvana on a Mac Mini so was just curious regarding the new look on Windows.  I’ll try a few more things before contacting Audirvana directly.

Any further luck? Downloaded build 1029 and still the same story. Installs on one Windows 10 OK and the other a total fizzer again, can't download the C++ file, but it's installed. 

Attached install.log perhaps @damien78 can have a look at it.

2 hours ago, dsimms said:

That did the trick!  I created a new local admin account and installed Audirvana under this account with no problems at all.  As you suggested, I’ve since backed up then deleted and recreated my main account.  Audirvana installed under this account also.

Much obliged for the tip.

A windows problem huh. On the right track with permissions though, thanks to @Screwdriver! I did install Windows 10 Pro on the machine, wiping out the WinServer 2016. The main issue was a latency problem in that the Server OS didn't have the right software for multimedia extensions. Rather than put myself through more torture and find out what to install, it was easier to install Win10 Pro. Latency is about 1000% better, and that's just raw values out of the box without tweaking.

As for Audirvana plus, I will let a few more builds pass under the bridge and try again. Roon is working fine and the main issue is the iPad control point which works flawlessly and is not yet implemented in A+, perhaps if that remote is working, then an install maybe on the cards. I do use A+ on a laptop when not at home, and it works fine, although as others point out, some metadata is gone on a bender, not really critical for a portable install.

• 11 months later...
3 hours ago, RafaPolit said:

Did you delete your own post?  

On AS, you can’t delete your posts, once the timeout on the editing applies. The OP or a request to admin can delete the post. Traditionally, if the post is submitted, and there’s still time to edit, and you’ve changed your mind totally, members write “deleted”.

• 1 year later...

After some absence of using Audirvana, a small venture to try uPNP to the Lumin U1, over several hops over the network, rather than direct from the main music server. The reason is that Audirvana will not install on a) Win Server 2016 or Win 10 LTSC, but will install on Windows 10 vanilla, not the most optimised.

Started playing something easy like Redbook files, cool, works, then a 96 file, couple of those, then a DSD64. Nothing, silence for a few seconds. Then burst of white noise from the speakers. That machine has 128GB RAM and Audirvana still couldn't buffer from one sample rate to the other.  go silent and stop, but don't lose control.

Piss poor. Will try again in another 6 months, now two years and a license upgrade since the windows version was released and finding faults far too quickly. I dare not use the original library files, since test sample files were changed when Audirvana added them to its database.

• 6 months later...

I see no one has updated this thread, so nobody using Audirvana without trouble?

Anyway reinstalled today (April 28) in the morning, by the time I returned from work, the library was indexed, some 12,000 tracks.

Played a few redbook files, noted the muting circuit on in the DAC, the tracks skipped along for the first few seconds. Switched mid stream to a 96, it played fine apart from the messy transition of stutters for a couple of seconds.. That moment of glory was short lived when a DSD64 was selected to play mid stream from the 96. Stuttering, had to pause and wait for the buildup of memory allocation, then played again without trouble.

What junk software, honestly, why do I bother. Roon sure does have its problems, it at least has the renderer and DAC under control, albeit not the greatest SQ. Oh well wait another six months I suppose..