IGNORED

Can my Berkeley be bettered? / DAC future

I acquired a Berkeley DAC about 18 months ago. It was revolutionary as a core piece in my transition to computer audio. It was also an excellent value, especially in audiophile context.

This is a rapidly evolving area. Is there a DAC out there now that readily surpasses the Berkeley? Please describe the sonic improvements.

And at what price? Do I have to pay $5- $10k more? Aaaccckkk!

Are new DACs just going to keep coming at us, better than the last? Is there room for significant improvement with these devices?

It'll cost you $500. The device you want is the Analog Research Legato. It'll come with a USB cable with the power-leg removed and a special purpose BNC cable ideal for your setup. And it'll totally crush your Lynx. You'll not be able to run hi-res through it, but so what? If it's important, keep your Lynx and just run them in parallel. Done.

As for improvements, you'll have a more extended treble, a more authoritative and tuneful bass. Tone will be richer. And the whole will sound more relaxed, easy, and natural than your Lynx.

You may check with Bob whose BADA has been "transformed" to be a top-notch player of another class.

> About my BADA clock...

By 'master clock,' I meant the clock that actually drives the DAC chip. In the case of the BADA, this clock operates at a frequency of 25.5760 MHz.

As I was unable to find an off-the-shelf oscillator with requisite performance (10 PPM, 15 pF, etc.) and form factor (HC-49/U), I had 500 pieces fabricated in China.

I think Bob got his new LIO-8. ;-)

The BADA employs the AD1852 D/A converter which is the same one in my OMZ DAC. My Metric Halo ULN-2, using the AK4395 converter, has a different sonic signature from the AD1852's.

One of my friends prefers his BADA while I prefer my ULN-2, soundwise. Significantly, the BADA and the OMZ is very sensitive to quality of the AES/EBU or S/PDIF source.

I'll be having a chance to compare the Weiss DAC202 and the BADA against my ULN-2 in my system, perhaps with the Woo Audio WES Max as well. :-)

• 1 month later...

I suggest you contact Dave Schulte at the Upgrade Company. He can do wonders modifying DACs and other components.

Steve

Steve Kuh[br]Mac Mini > Glyph HD > Weiss AFI1 (slave) > modded Esoteric D70 (master) > BAT VK51SE > Classe CA400 > Harbeth Super HL5[br]\"Come on the amazing journey and learn all you should know...\"

I'm getting that will be a nice partner to my Berkeley DAC- and late August for TweekGeek in the US isn't too long to wait.

Search the forum, there's also some discussion of a clock mod for the Berkeley, which has reportedly given good results. That's internal, of course.