IGNORED

Apple Hardware: Dirty USB

Observations

In his article “Computer Audiophile Turns 10 Today” Chris Connaker, the founder of Computer Audiophile, noted of Apple USB ports:

"April 11, 2008 - A USB Port is Not a USB Port - So, what is the deal? Apple's design of the USB architecture in MacBook/Pro models is flawed in my opinion."

We have recently witnessed the rise of an understanding of the need to clean up the signal when feeding DACs via USB from computers: this forum is filled with solutions.

From my experience, using an Audioquest Jitterbug into various DACS (when fed from my MacBookPro via USB) has, on all occasions, noticeably improved the sound.

Questions

So I am wondering:

- In relation to USB output, are some Apple machines “cleaner” than other Apple Machines? (So, for example, does a MacMini provide a cleaner USB output than a MacBook Pro?)

- For machines that have more than one USB output: I know I am able to access information on the USB ports from About This Mac/ System Report. But once accessed how would I determine which port is "cleaner"?

- Have any of you hardcore Mac Heads done any comparisons on the USB outputs of your Macs? Or compared Macs?

@mansr posted previously on here somewhere about how to lookup and find the best USB port to use

someone also linked to Archimago's USB tests of different laptops - Apple's was not better

the mac mini uses mostly their laptop components BUT the physical configuration is different so that effect may affect the noise level at the USB port

you can buy an LPS for the mac mini too - or run the laptop on batteries, BUT why not just isolate the nose so it never reaches the DAC?

see my started threads on Behind the Digital Curtain and Why does SPDIF Basically Suck

or buy a spendy rendy or an entire low noise server like a Naim