IGNORED

What are your "WOW" moments in audio?

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally hooked up a pair of vintage JBL speakers (L112), and they sounded ok, but wasn't impressed....I knew they should be off the ground a foot or two, but only had regular 3-4 bookshelf speaker stands, so i put them up there....although the height is not correct, it was still another WOW moment....they sounded a WHOLE letter better on the stands...instantly and easily notable by anyone. 

Reminder to make sure you have your carpet spikes if using towers on carpeting and get your height right!

For me this is just temporary...i just wanted to try some vintage JBLs....although very impressive, probably won't hold on to them...i just like trying things.

UPDATE:  Just hooked up the isolation transformer, and it does seem cleaner and with more detail?!  Could be my mind, but that is what my mind is telling me (smile).

I also noticed the voltage on the conditioner is displaying 122v where before it was displaying 120v??  Sounds great either way!

6 hours ago, barrows said:

Not really a fan of spiking speakers anymore here; I have learned that isolating speakers form the floor is almost always the best procedure.  Anyone who has tried isolating speakers via, say, Stillpoints, Herbie's products, or Iso Acoustic Gaia footers probably knows what I mean.

Interestingly, all Raidho Speakers I am familiar with come with bearing based isolation systems.

so if you don't use spikes for towers, what do you use to isolate them from floor on carpeting?

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

For me a bunch. When I first set up my Magneplanar Tympani III's and bi-amped them. When I first heard my Martin Logan Vistas, and when I first inserted my hospital-grade Isolation transformer/mains filter! That much of an improvement, I wasn't expecting! Then there was the the 1978 or '79 AES Convention at the Waldorf Astoria in NYC where I first heard the Soundstream/Telarc digital recording of Holst' Two Songs Without Words and those life-changing great bass drum whacks! When the record finally came out, I swear that you could have seen the places in the groove where the whacks appear from all the way across the room!    

T3B.jpg

martinlogan-vista-thumb-800xauto-207.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

Did your voltage go up or down compared to without the isolation transformer?

My voltage conditioner was showing 120v without the transformer, and it went to 122v with the transformer?

I don't know if that is good or bad, or that it indicates more efficiency and less noise, or just that it is impossible for a transformer to not step up or step down the voltage exactly?

Either way, since i plugged it in today (just got it, hospital grade 1800w triplite), it does "seem to be "cleaner" and more detail, and possibly even softer?  Could be my imagination and subconscious bias though (grin)>

• 2 weeks later...