IGNORED

ISO Regen performance Improvement Cheap!

Exactly.  And the poster said that his terminals are coming loose, sandy.

the other issue is the use of Tweek, and Frank's belief that it is not adequate...

maybe he can detail his listening methodology as to whether a statistical number of trials, and whether he used blind listening

I agree Cornan.  For a consumer, why is less important that the result.  But one must ensure the result is actually SQ and not just an expectation that is confirmed for psychological reasons.

I did not give any bad advice, Sandman.

Let's see how many items of audio gear.... maybe a half dozen - I usually focus my efforts on constructing scientific gear.  Things that absolutely have GOT to work.

Purple Loctite will be fine and will solve his problem - of course, so would other things, like ripping it all apart again... however, I would not use banana plugs as your close friend half-pint suggested.

He can probably get away with soldering the tips tho I would not do it.

Airtight connections are wise - he can probably get away w/o that tho.

And finally... Ghent

!!

Back to the cable and several caps laid out in a series along it, but which are electrically in parallel...

You mentioned it was hard to build:

I think a jig could be made to hold everything in position and make soldering easy.  That jig could then be give (or sold if you're into markets) to the next guy.

Or those interested could perhaps get a specialty pcb run made ... the traces could take the place of most of  the wire, and the caps could just drop in.

He's right about the possible damage form stray or loose strands.  And it is hard to get them all.

A slight bit of tinning won't cause nearly as much damage (if any).

If you are tinning-phobic then use spring clips to secure the tinned ends (!!)

Don't forget, when you reconnect something you are often breaking a corrosion barrier.

That can explain a lot of the changes in SQ from switching cables, or clipping off tinned ends, etc. etc.

I like to flood my stereo equipment with Argon to 'solve' the corrosion problem.

Also, in space no one can hear your stereo scream!

(just for you marce)

• 2 weeks later...

EM noise in a power supply can affect any analog component, and all DACs have an analog section

I've never seen anything convincing that noise in a purely digital component will affect SQ - assuming it is adequately isolated from all analog stages (and that could include parasitic leak via transformers).

Ultimately, you may need to conduct test to compare 2 items or treatments and see if you can hear a difference on your most demanding source material. 

14 minutes ago, sandyk said:

In that case I would suggest that you spend more time reading the numerous threads by multiple members in other areas of the forum instead of trying to create a Guinness  Book of Records entry for the most number of posts in the shortest possible time frame in a forum.

you have me cornfused with your trolling friend - one of your Aussie mafia

6 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The killer is that word, "adequately" - how do you do know when there is enough, "adequate"? Answer: that when you add in even more isolation, that such makes no audible difference ...

If there is not enough EM noise to flip bits on the digital side you are fine (and that is quite a bit of noise).

Your point really comes into play where Digital meets Analog or in Analog components.  I certainly agree the DAC needs careful noise isolation.

If anybody has either:

[1] engineering explanations, i.e. mechanistic explanations, 

or [2] valid listening tests (say by noise injection)

that EM noise in purely digital components is a problem (with the caveats above) then set them forth.

17 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

If anybody has either:

[1] engineering explanations, i.e. mechanistic explanations, 

or [2] valid listening tests (say by noise injection)

that EM noise in purely digital components is a problem (with the caveats above) then set them forth.

Sandy,  Pls re-read; you seem to have missed item #2.

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

Yes, while we are talking about the purely digital areas, and we have established that there is zero spillover into any analogue areas, by any path whatsoever, to a degree that has audible impact on SQ - then there should no problem.

ok, so we isolate, re-clock, use Big Buffers (the subject of a song by Sir Mix-A-Lot)*

and then we need to be very careful with the DAC and with the amplification chain.

That will accurately reproduce all the crummy masterings we have (and the few great ones too)...

...until we get to the speakers & room.

Those are the problems as I see it.

* which are the things the iso-regen focuses on, does it not?

If the OP hasn't specified, then it is not so limited.  Now did you read item #2?  

here is a helpful hint: item #2 is a Subjective item.

I feel sorry for the ostrich who posted above, and hopes he finds his snowflakes.