IGNORED

HP recommendation for classical listening

I have very  little experience with HPs but have decided to invest in a pair primarily for late night listening in my home system, probably on ear but maybe over ear.  My listening is 95% orchestral classical, I'm used to Klipsch Cornwall speakers and am looking for a similar sounding HP,  which I would describe as an extremely detailed, dynamic, forward and open presentation.  I don't care at all about aesthetics, finish etc providing the HPs are comfortable, reliable and long lived.  I'll be using the s/e HP output of my pre amp which is 75 ohm.    

I'd go up to  £1000 if I had to, but would prefer cheaper.  What would you recommend?  From what I have read so far, the impression I have is that I wouldn't go far wrong with something from the Sennheiser 6** or 8** series.  There is a Klipsch Heritage HP which might be an obvious recommendation in my situation, but seems expensive and has had  mixed reviews. The ESS phones also look interesting, well within budget and with v. high sensitivity in common with my speakers.  Any alternatives I should consider?  In essence what I'm looking for is the best value HP within budget that will deliver the characteristics I'm looking for.  

Thanks

44 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Yes, a good quality amp is essential. What do you currently own by way of headphone amplification?

Thanks to all for contributions so far.  To start with I'll be going with the HP output of my DNM 3D preamp.  

3 hours ago, austinpop said:

the only suitable model I'd recommend is the Sennheiser HD800S.

The "basic" 800 is just within budget after a bit of discount.  Any thoughts on the 700?  Seems to polarise opinion, with some  recommendations for orchestral.

Thanks again  to all who have contributed suggestions.

I tried out the HD800s and HD600 in my system over the w/e.

I liked the 800s a lot more than the 600.   However , as a newcomer to HP  I didn't like  listening via them enough to justify the £1400.  While  I loved the level of detail, I'm not sure I could put up with the, to my ears, absence of bass.  I don't know whether this is a issue with the 800s or an unavoidable feature of HP listening  per se?

I'm going to try and borrow a pair of Focal Elear - several reviews suggest characteristics  that might be more in line with what I'm used to via my speakers and for the uncommitted HP listener they  are a lot cheaper than the 800s.

I borrowed a pair of Elears and HD700s.

Not that impressed with the Focals, I couldn't match  what I was hearing  with the reviews that suggested exemplary dynamics and bass.   The build quality was great though. I thought the 700s were a nice upgrade on the 600s and very comfortable, but not that interesting to listen to.

From  what I've heard so far, the HD800s are really the only ones I'd consider buying.

• 6 months later...
5 hours ago, Summit said:

You stated earlier that the output of your preamp is 75 ohm. Have you heard the LCD-X in your own stereo? It will IME not match very well with the low impedance LCD-X. Low impedance headphones will sound (too) damped on high impedance outputs. I like the LCD3 better than the LCD-X and it has higher impedance as well, meaning better electrical match. If it sound sig is of your liking is another thing. Have you listen to any of the headphones from Hifiman? They are all IMO more all-round and HE1000 V2 for example is equally great for classic, jazz, electronic, vocal and so on. 

Thanks for this.  Yes I have been listening  in my system, although knowing the LCD-x was a high sensitivity HP I was surprised that it needed to have the volume set higher than the HD800, is this indicative of impedance mismatch?

As my amp HP output  is rated 75 ohm does this really mean  I should be looking at something  at 600ohm?  I ask because I’ve been enjoying the HD800s this time and was pretty much lined up to buy, but am aware they are “only” 300 ohm. As far as I  can see applying the 8x rule  would severely limit my HP choice. I don’t want to go down the separate HP amp route at the moment, especially  given the quality of my preamp.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Musicophile said:

So Senor, will Santa bring an HD800S this year?

Possibly, if I could make my mind up!..After trying quite a few out the choice is (maybe) down to the HD800 (local dealer has new for a lot less  than the s), HD800s or Grado PS1000E.

I know the HD800(s) are super accurate and the  sensible choice, but I’m not sure I could live with them as home entertainment, great as they probably are as a monitoring  instrument.

By contrast, the Grados really are the nearest HP I’ve heard in sound to my speakers, a very  up front exciting  listen, but moving into serious money (£1900 in UK) for an agnostic HP listener like me.

One if the reasons I’m in no hurry is that I’ve dug out my Ergo2s for day to day listening -  the more I try out other HPs , the more I appreciate  how good they are, especially for  the money.  Somewhat eccentric perhaps, but they do have a unique open sound, then again there’s the upmarket Ergo AMT to consider....

• 3 weeks later...

In the end I did make a purchase - £49 for a pair of Meze Neo 11 IEMS for travel use.I’ve really enjoyed using them simply with flacplayer and  analogue out of my iPad.

Surprised that something so inexpensive offers such a neutral presentation.  

I wasn’t sure I get on with something inserted in my ear, but I find v.comfortable and preferable to having ‘phones over the ear. Making me wonder if there’s a place for high end IEMS for home use?