IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

On 6/3/2019 at 1:04 AM, JohnSwenson said:

If you have the RJ45 on the B side (the single jack) connected to a streamer, what you do on the A side shouldn't matter. Thus coming into the A side with optical shouldn't make any difference. If you already have an optical network connection, use the optical input. The other use is if you have a renderer with an optical input you can use the EtherRegen the other way around and connect the optical port to the renderer  and the single RJ45 to the network.

John S.

Can the use of a high end gaming router like this one Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 contribute to a better SQ when used in connection with ether regen?

I see 2 features in particular:

10 Gigabit LAN SFP+ Port

- Seven 1-Gigabit Ethernet Ports

(6 LAN + 1 WAN) Aggregate two ports when connecting to compatible switch* to get even more wired ports

Two questions to Alex Super Duper DAD (like me):

you have etherregen in your system (soon hopefully) but you want to upgrade your router (the next frontier...)

high end routers have features like:

- 10Gb SFP+ ports: can this be used in association with Etherregen and how? what benefits if any...

- link aggregation of 2 rj45 ports doubling transmission speed: is Etherregen compatible with this?

Richard

• 1 month later...

@Superdad @JohnSwenson

I have ISP contract for 200Mbps. My ISP integrated modemrouterswitch is connected to a cisco 2960 switch and from theres to my network audio. I plan to buy etherregen and add it after the cisco.

Now my question is the following:

By using etherchannel i can aggregate 2 100mbps copper ports for higher speed 200mbps to the etheregen side A. For streaming service use would that be in theory better?

• Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are getting much closer!!
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Superdad changed the title to EtherREGEN: We are in final beta; About to enter production!
  • 4 weeks later...

Better to habe 3 dedicated switches linked to each server nas streamer on one side all sws connected to a router non wireless like ubiquti edgerouter 6p .

One of the switch is etherregen for streamer. 2 other cheap cheap pro cisco 2960. Use sfp port on router reconfigured as lan port to link with etherregen with startech 80km sfp module monomode fiber

See i have my plan...

5 hours ago, stevebythebay said:

At least one port on one of the switches needs to be wired to a WiFi access point, be it traditional router or mesh network router.  In my simple setup my current Cisco switch has 3 wires: one to a Roon software app server, another to the downstream DAC related device (an upsampler) and the third wired to an Eero mesh WiFi access point.  Others may also wire up a NAS to provide the music files to the player, or even run the Roon or other player within the NAS device.  My files are living on a USB attached drive connected to the Roon server.  As you indicate, many need to access their music player via an app running on an iphone/tablet/computer via WiFi.

Yes indeed i have another routed port on the router for a cisco switch with a ubiquity unifi AC pro AP which i desactivate when listening music