IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

11 minutes ago, diecaster said:

With an endpoint like an ultraRendu, and a switch that blocks high impedance leakage to a certain degree, I don’t see how expensive servers make a difference now. 

My my interest in the EtherREGEN is that it should block the noise on the outgoing copper Ethernet port to my ultraRendu to such a low level as to be completely inconsequential. 

The expensive servers have multiple internal power supplies for the different components. The Ultrarendu uses the same external power supply to power the cpu/ram/usb output. By using dedicated power supplies you can isolate these pieces from each other. 

• Superdad pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, jamesg11 said:

Continuing the OT ... my expectation, now ingrained after endless confirmations, is that better psu etc will only provide marginal upside with low-medium DR etc - the listening fatigue kicks in early!

I don’t concur with this statement. Overall mastering quality trumps DR value. 

Also so if you are getting listening fatigue I question something else is causing this. Aliasing from upsampling? Noise from somwhere? I have not found DR 5 music to be at all fatiguing with proper setup. But it is much more revealing of other issues. 

Just now, jamesg11 said:

So, you’re finding DR5s to be on your ok mastering quality map? Any Iggy Pop DR0s as well?

I’m now well OT & therefore out.

There is more to mastering than a compression level, take Tool 10,000 days... the producer avoids digital editing at all cost and tries to experiment in the analog and experiment with physical mix placement etc... 

i much rather prefer this to a DR 12 when someone jacks it up with digital effects and doesn’t know what they are doing with the analog equipment. For instance touching the EQ excessively. 

Im just stating this is a very granular issue and not that simple. Also, you need to throw out tons of remasters as examples of Low DR . 

I can tie this back full circle. 

I have heard DR 5 music being harsh when network noise is present or aliasing during during upsampling. 

I have heard a cable modem router make my system unlistenable. An fmc set cleaned up and but added some mud... the best so far is a modified network switch Dlink. I truly believe network noise is real and in particular adds an edge to music in some instances. I’m not surprised higher compression levels sound worse on suboptimal setups... it’s less forgiving. 

I fully expect the EtherRegen to make properly mastered music of a variety of DR’s to all sound better.