IGNORED

SGC - sonicTransporter Series and Signalyst HQPlayer 4 Embedded

1 hour ago, gsquared said:

Glad to hear you are enjoying the ST i7. I have the same Holo Audio DAC and SU-1 and I'm seriously considering getting the ST i7.

I would be very interested to hear opinions of the ST i7 running HQPe compared to the Windows version of ST i7 running the desktop version.

I can't say because I try only the ST i7 with the Sonicorbiter software that I own. Before, I tried the same configuration streaming to my Ultrarendu - Roon core and HQPlayer Desktop on the same machine - on an iMac I7 quad core and on an Asus Laptop I7 dual core running Win 10 pro (yes...I own all these HQPlayer licenses :)). Both can do upsampling to DSD512 with 2s filters but not with the single fase ones. Mac was sonically better than Windows, but consider the difference between the two machine (Mac is more powerful). But the ST i7 is way way better.

It is my opinion that a system like Sonicorbiter, created only to do this, performs better on the ST, using all the power of the 8 core i7 processor. Windows has lot of processes and tasks that will be unused for your purpose, if your intention is to build only a streamer setup and you can't use any optimizer for audio because HQPlayer will not work properly. Maybe a Windows based ST will be more flexible and you can install other useful application, but I doubt that can be sonically better than the Sonicorbiter based one.

I would give a try of the ST i7 with the SonicOrbiter and eventually you will be able to format it and install Windows.

12 hours ago, Sloop John B said:

I’m seriously thinking of buying one of these but am getting different reports on the i7 ability to play  non 2s filters from here and the Roon forum. Can the i7 play  poly-sinc and  poly-sinc-xtr?

.sjb

I can confirm that with the last upgrade of HQPlayer NAA on Ultrarendu now is possible to play non 2s filter too with ST i7. The only thing is that you need a dedicated network for uRendu, ST i7 and the NAS. This network is only to share with an iPad or any tablet for Roon remote.

In order to upsample to DSD 512 you have to wait 2-3 minutes for Roon to complete your music library scanning and then you can upsample to DSD 512 without any problem even with single phase poly filters. I have been listening for more than 3 hours big tracks of classical music 16/44 native upsampled to DSD 512 with  

poly-sinc-xtr-mp and AMSDM7 512+fs and never a single pop!

I have noted that the only disturbs or pops during the reproduction are if you search something with Roon especially on Tidal or if you change some settings while music is playing. Other disturbs are in the case of other computer or smartphone sharing the same network that are downloading or doing frequent acces to the network. For this I suggest to dedicate your entire network to this system. In this case you can do everything with HQPlayer without problems.

7 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

@Lotus67

This may be a pure network issue. 

Have you cheched the cpu load on the SonicTransporter?

ScreenShot272.thumb.jpg.992066fd37744e43df63be067bb925e3.jpg l

CPU load is ok. Surely is a network issue because I use an OCXO router by Paul Pang with external clock. I use it only for streaming music purpose attached only to uRendu , ST and NAS. The weakness is in the model of router used: a DLINK dual band. I have also an Asus router of the last generation that for network performance is clearly better and if I use it there are no problem even with other equipment on the same network. But sound is not the same. The external clock of the OCXO router does a great job. I have only to use it for this purpose and it is ok.

5 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Congratulations! The latest Rendu NAA update is fantastic.

Which DAC are you using?

And is your Rendu connected directly to the DAC or do you have something in between (like some people use a USB converter).

And could you share a screenshot of your Roon signal path when playing DSD512 and your HQP config page?

Much appreciated ?

Yes really fantastic! I am using an Holo Audio Spring Dac lev 3 in NOS mode. My uRendu is connected to a Singxer SU-1 in usb using an ISO Regen with hard adapter and this to dac via I2S.

Here the Roon screenshot playing a 16/44 upsampled to DSD 512

roon.thumb.png.3cad5e04c7fcf12eea269ffd053e1bf6.png

Here HQPlayer settings

HQP.thumb.png.7d2dbcb249e931e921a698ea9ed6a33a.png

9 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

Thank you!  Amazing that you can get it to work with thes sonicT i7. We have an i7 also but get stuttering but I expected that with the xtr non-2s filter, so there's no disappointment at my end.

Are you sure you don't accidentally have an i7-8700K under the hood ?

That would be a great accident hehe

Oh yes i7 Ferrari modded :-)))))

I don't know but you can ask to Andrew..... he sold me as i7 7700 Kaby Lake

No problem with xtr filter. I use short with classical music because in my system gives better soundstage. Well, I prefer short with DG recordings and xtr with Decca or Philips ones and this is probably due to the different recording technics.

Now I am going but later I will post you a screenshot using xtr filter

1 minute ago, Em2016 said:

Hehe no problem and thanks again.

Do you hear a significant difference between xtr 2s and non-2s?

I can do the other filters in non-2s and hear no significant difference with the 2s version - both sound fantastic for all filters I've tried.

Great difference with 2s filters. Sound is more transparent and vivid, stage deeper but, overall, instruments appear more real as if they were playing live. I am really interested in understand the relation between this filters and recording technic...but we will talk later

• 9 months later...

Someone experienced some problem with ST i7 and Ultrarendu with HQPlayer latest release ? I didn’t use it for a while and today upgraded HQP embedded to 4.9 on the ST i7 and HQP NAA to the 3.5.6 on the Urendu. The result is that it doesn’t work. I can play with the Roon Server and with DLNA output but not with HQPlayer. Everything seems fine in the setup that I always used, but HQP using Roon as remote doesn,t play. In Roon appears that the signal path from HQP is ok but music doesn’t start ant the dac doesn’t receive signal.

I have tried HQPlayer desktop from my Mac to Urendu and same behaviour, so I suppose that the problem is in the HQPlayer NAA.

do you have any suggestion?

• 2 months later...

I don't know if it is the right place for my question... I recently purchased a Merging Anubis Dac that operate with Ravenna Ethernet. In order to connect the Anubis to a source, you need to install the Ravenna/AES67 driver. I have my roon core on a STi7 and need to install the driver. Is it possible to install the Alsa Ravenna/AES67 driver on my SonicTransporter in the SonicOrbiter OS? Any experiences or suggestions?