IGNORED

Being aware of misbehaviour of the playback chain

16 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Forget trying to rationalize this subject with Frank. He truly seems to believe that even bad recordings can be made to sound state-of-the-art with "correctly"* set-up playback gear.

An absolutely absurd notion, IMO. GIGO applies to music reproduction as much as it does to computer science and/or mathematics. While steps can be taken to decrease the effect of some characteristics of bad recordings to make them more listenable, a bad recording can't be turned into a good one on playback.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

4 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I'm afraid that I have no idea what you're on about with this post! Where in the world did you get a figure like  -3dB at 70 Hz? What does it have to do with my reply to Frank about what constitutes a realistic recording? Have you been smoking Mexican laughing tobacco, Peter? 

The more generally employed expression, George, is wacky tobacky. :)

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

7 hours ago, PeterSt said:

I know, because I have all these instruments for the purpose and use them as a means to check the playback of them.

At what volume level do you need to listen to the washer and dryer in order to hear their tonality accurately? :)

8 minutes ago, anwaypasible said:

yet the length of this thread & how balderdash the quantifiable details are, there is more done to demoralize wishful thinking at a place meant to build the industry than there is profit making it to your stocks & bonds.

Would you care to tell us what this means in English?

7 hours ago, semente said:

A friend of mine decided to learn the bagpipes at one time. I asked him to show off his skills but soon regretted it; the damn thing was just too loud for his small living room...

As played by too many pipers, bagpipes are too loud if you can hear them at all. :)