IGNORED

A crowd funded motherboard(s) for audiophiles - Part 2

CUSTOM MOTHERBOARD DESIGN CHOICES - IS THERE A CONSENSUS ON REQUIREMENTS?   

61 members have voted

1. 1. In thinking about a crowd funded CA motherboard which form factor are you most likely to purchase and/or fund?

• Mini-ITX - 1 PCIE slot, may be possible to split into two
    • Micro-ATX - 4 PCIE slots
    • ATX - 6 PCIE slots

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/18/18 at 04:00 PM

@marce The price delta between a good existing 'commercial' quality mb and the consumer one is quite large.  Same exact mb other than the fact one zips out the door full of power leaks and other unmistakable signs of low QC.  My understanding was this forms the basis of a community attempt to examine that commercial quality board and get the manufacturer to take it up a notch or two.  Effectively let us do R&D on something they probably already have cooked up for experimenting with new technology years off in the average users ecosystem.  

Then get a custom BIOS to choke off everything too hard to physically eliminate from the board and start lumping audiophile PSU and cards at the thing.  Sweet and simple!

My concern, if it is a relevant one on current boards, is the lane math not working as you'd expect.  By which I mean plugging in multiple cards effectively draws and quarters the lanes.  An x4 becomes a single lane, x16 becomes four lanes, and so on.  This was a problem with "gaming" motherboards designed around high draw discrete GPU(s).  I'd ask very specific questions in this direction to the manufacturer.  

Tweakertown sounds reliable enough a source for remedial information. 

You appear to be in favor of platitude based socializing while attempting this without benefit of resourceful outside information.  I wish you luck in this endeavor and will prove no further interruption to discussions.  :)

• 4 months later...
9 hours ago, rickca said:

Good motherboard here ASRock Z370 Taichi.  It can actually do PCIe x8/x4/x4 on 3 full-size slots all connected to the CPU.  The M.2 slots and PCIe x1 slots connect to the chipset.  This is ATX of course.

I wonder if the upcoming i9-9900K is compatible with existing Z370 boards?

I will reenter briefly since discussion of commissioning a unique design has tapered to nothing. 

The Z370 Taichi is one of the best gaming boards available for Intel core processors.  I hesitate to speak too soon, given Z390 was pulled at the last moment and Intel has developed an aptitude for years long delays, but it should support the new i9.  If Z390 does launch for this gen of processors it should hold some very welcome features for general use.  For sure the Taichi will integrate CNVi and max out board mounted USB 3.1 gen 2 type A and C.  Q390 looks much more interesting to me with professional use H370 designs putting the PCIe x16 slot on cpu lanes my currently available preference.  The latter having both kinds of 10 Gbit/s USB ports and none of those lovely RGB LED sure to enhance the cleanliness of your power.  :)

My interest remains in forgoing gaming boards packed with fluff and built to lower tolerances than professional quality components we will pair to it.  Too much focus is put on powering inferior board mounted DAC, water pumps, and shockingly inefficient gpu.  A sophisticated fanless design molded by thoughtful committee that pared it into sleek form is the only reason this thread exists.  Where we dictate board architecture and spec capacitors solely for audio use powered by a system matched linear power supply. 

• 3 weeks later...

Recently put together a non-audio computer for someone using a (Intel H370) Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 3 WiFi.  Other than the BIOS I can't fault one thing on that board.  I would say if AMD chipsets have equally good onboard wifi+BT5.0 implementation streaming will be fine.  Pay attention to whether the wired antenna included is the same as on Intel boards.