IGNORED

How much disrespect is alllowed on Computer Audiophile?

22 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Sometimes we run across a poster who just won't let something go and their posts become more and more pedantic.

On a CA forum, George!?!? Surely, you jest.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

But a crustacean like a lobster is probably not even aware that it is alive, and is more akin to a cockroach than it is to a beef!

Apparently, there are differing views: Do lobsters feel pain?

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

32 minutes ago, sandyk said:

One thing for sure, is that a reply like this sure fits into the title of the thread, and is borderline acceptable (?)

Keep up the good work !

Enough borderline replies may see you finally become undone.

Alex,

Why bother when the solution is so simple:

Ignore.jpg

36 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Allan

I hate the idea of Ignore Lists, as occasionally these members will surprise you with a very worthwhile contribution.

They need to learn to not try and provoke or ridicule other members.

Alex

Viewing responses to the posts of those on my List, I have yet to see even the slightest hint of a worthwhile contribution. These personalities are hard wired and they lack both the desire and the ability to learn how to change their antisocial behaviour. At least as far as the internet is concerned!

37 minutes ago, wgscott said:

So, who was the asshole in this situation?

If he was about 7 feet tall, I don't think that I would want to call him an asshole to his face. But, If you paid $36 for the seat, he or his friends should have at least offered to pay you what you paid for the seat. IMO, that failure alone makes him and his friends assholes. And, if one of his friends had an aisle seat, that doubly makes them assholes. I don't suppose that calling for one of the host/hostesses might have resolved the situation in a more positive fashion for you. I can understand him feeling, justifiably or not, that the airline owed him an obligation to provide a seat that he could reasonably occupy, but not at your expense.

9 minutes ago, botrytis said:

On another audio forum, I belong to, we were discussing a very expensive pair of speakers. On gent said (paraphrasing here), 'That people who spend that kind of money are just showing off, do not understand the equipment and are vain. But, I am not disrespecting anyone'. HUH? Well, you wouldn't have wrote it, if you didn't believe it.

I can be very blunt, on forums. I just like to get a point across and move on.  Sometimes I think a little more care can be taken with what we write. 

The insincere self- serving "non-apology" only pisses people off more. There is a diiference between being direct and to the point and being blunt. The dictionary defines blunt as "abrupt in address or manner". Adding a few softening words may take the edge off, although I can't claim to be concerned about that very often myself. :)

16 minutes ago, bigbob said:

A flight attendant would have mediated the situation either by moving you or upgrade to First Class (which Delta did for me for over the pond)

I would amend that to suggest that a flight attendant may have mediated the situation. The term  "customer service", as it applies to many airlines today, is an oxymoron.

1 minute ago, bigbob said:

I see news reports of violence erupting on planes, and wonder if it is really worth it.

Flying or resorting to violence? :)

13 minutes ago, botrytis said:

I don't know, there are some amazing engineers in the audio field. Andrew Jones being one of the multitude out there.

As my wife says, everything comes down to math :D

Of course there are. I meant that they should stick to physics and math and forget about feeble attempts at humour.

35 minutes ago, botrytis said:

Some of the funniest science types I have met were engineers. Chem E's are usually hysterical, Civil E's not so much. :D

Among science types, perhaps. Among the general population, definitely not. :)

Just now, botrytis said:

Sure it can be. I mean Gary Larson was trained in microbiology before he did the Far Side comics - that man is FUNNY :D

It can happen.....

Ever heard of "the exception that proves the rule"? :)

14 minutes ago, wgscott said:

OK, so let's say we both had paid the same for our seats, and AA didn't yet have the assholeish policy of selling aisle seats for a surcharge.  Then if someone 7' tall asks for my seat, presumably I would have been the asshole if I had not given it to him.  It is hard for someone that tall to physically get into the seat, and my legs are so short I had to get a custom bike frame built, so under those circumstances I think it would be douchie of me to insist that I keep my seat, just because I got to it first.  Since the surcharge is being paid for by the organization that paid for my travel, it isn't too far from that.  

Under those circumstances, dunno if you would necessarily be an asshole for not giving it to him, but you certainly would be a gentleman if you did. There are other reasons apart from long legs for desiring an aisle seat. And most people prefer not to sit in the middle, which is why those are always the last seats left.