IGNORED

USB to I2S conversion and reclocking quality doubt

doraymon

I did a few tests by connecting the Mac mini running Roon Server directly to the SU-1 and than to the DAC against having the Mac connected to the Ethernet and than the sMS-200ultra connected to the USB of the Spring DAC.

The solution with the streamer (second) is significantly better, more detail, more air, space and soundstage depth.

Now the last question is , do I keep the Mac Mini close to the HFi rack connected to the same mains filter and the same Ethernet switch of the sMS 200or will it be better to move it somewhere else in the room to put its terrible switching power supply far from the rest of the system (but with longer Ethernet path)?

NUC10i7 Roon ROCK > EtherREGEN > Lumin U1 Mini > Chord DAVE > Focal Utopia 

On 25/02/2018 at 7:44 PM, doraymon said:

or will it be better to move it somewhere else in the room to put its terrible switching power supply far from the rest of the system (but with longer Ethernet path)?

Yup this, as One and a Half suggested. Not only to do with the SMPS but also EM/RFI. Distance is a big help there. 

4 hours ago, One and a half said:

Moving the computer away from the DAC will have benefits.

For sure, the only drawback is that moving it away from the DAC I won’t be able to connect it directly to the AQ-SWITCH-SE where the network player is also connected.

I thought having both computer and Network Player  connected to the same high quality switch would be an advantage.

13 minutes ago, doraymon said:

For sure, the only drawback is that moving it away from the DAC I won’t be able to connect it directly to the AQ-SWITCH-SE where the network player is also connected.

I thought having both computer and Network Player  connected to the same high quality switch would be an advantage.

I'm not following the connection method and why it would be a problem.

This would work.

Network cable infeed -> AQ-Switch-SE

-> AQ-Switch-SE -> SMS-Ultra -> DAC

-> AQ-Switch-SE -> Network Player

-> AQ-Switch-SE -> <= 100m Cable to Mac Mini

-> AQ-Switch-SE -> Spare

-> AQ-Switch-SE -> Spare

-> AQ-Switch-SE -> Spare

-> AQ-Switch-SE -> Spare

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

13 hours ago, One and a half said:

AQ-Switch-SE -> <= 100m Cable to Mac Mini

This direct connection is possible only with the Mac sitting in the same cabinet with the hifi.

if I move it far from the cabinet I can’t have direct connection to the AQVOX due to the architecture of the room. In this case I plug the Mac mini to the main router.

just to clarify the AQVOX switch is connected to the Gigabit Port of a network extended placed close to the HiFi.

About adding the tX-USBultra to the sMS-200ultra: LINK

In the meantime I have also substituted the powerline ethernet adapter with a WiFi bridge (Netgear EX7000) and the improvements are clearly audible (detail, reduced harshness even with the more difficult tracks, bass "richness").

So in the case of the AQ-SWITCH SE the quality of the input signal did matter.