IGNORED

JVS Cheerleads an MQA CD..Sis Boom Bah!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that. Firstly, we see that the MQA control stream is in bit 8, which is counted as though it were a 24-bit file. In other words, it is in the LSB of the 16-bit CD data. That means there is no high-frequency content to be decoded here. Curiously, the MQA signature is not found at the start of the track but some distance in as indicated by the sample number printed at the start of the line. Even more odd is that the packet printed for track 2 is not the first in an MQA stream as evidenced by the presence of the 'stream_position' field which indicates the offset in samples from the start of the track to the start of this packet. Curiouser and curiouser. Finally, note the 'mqa_level' value. This controls the indicator colour. Blue tracks have a value of 0x90 rather than the 0x40 seen here. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact meaning of this value.

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I thought that might be it..but for some reason I though MQA was not compatible with S/PDIF..

It depends on the signal routing. Some DACs use an XMOS or other powerful processor only for USB input and a simple S/PDIF decoder chip feeding the DAC directly. Such designs can't support MQA on inputs that don't go through the processor.

• 5 months later...
3 minutes ago, testikoff said:

So is there any truth in Bob Stuart's statements regarding B (i.e. 22...44 kHz or 24...48 kHz out-of-band spectral content) "estimates" in 16-bit MQA-CD audio of recent Warner & Uni Japan releases?..

None whatsoever.

1 minute ago, testikoff said:

Thanks for confirming. Is it fair to say that all the MQA-CD does is carry the original sampling rate of the PCM master & the preferred upsampling filter to be used by the MQA-enabled renderer/DAC?

It also has the cryptographic "authentication" signature and may include some HDCD-like dynamic range extension data. Remember, this data stream is limited to one bit per stereo sample, so there's really not much space available.