IGNORED

The new generation UltraCap LPS-1.2: USER IMPRESSIONS and QUESTIONS thread

I am planning to buy 2 LPS-1.2 units and was wondering if a single SMPS that comes with it can power them?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, Superdad said:

No.  36W is the requirement for the LPS-1.2.  Besides, I have had that exact model Chinese unit on my bench and:

a) It came nowhere near being able to put out its rated 3.3A at 9V--got it to about 2.5A before the voltage starting dropping quickly;

b) I ran VERY hot when pushed.

In a previous post you listed various input voltages that would work with the LPS-1.2 but you did not have 19v.  I assume this is also fine as long as 36W is available?  I have a spare 19v output available on my HDPlex that I would like to use to power 2 LPS-1.2 (just ordered one btw!)

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

On 3/14/2018 at 4:45 AM, Twinja said:

I reversed the sequence from the PC to:

PC>>USPCB>>ISO Regen>>Lush USB>>DAC

I think quite a few people have found the Lush to sound best as the last usb cable in the chain.  I am also going to get one and try this out as soon as my LPS-1.2 arrives.

Other components:

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, hifiveharry said:

I received my second LPS 1.2 the other day. The first went on my IsoRegen and I still can't believe what a nice difference it has made. I truly think it kept getting better for 4-5 days. I put the second one on my UltraRendu and gave it a day of play time before I sat down to listen. WOW AGAIN!! It makes about the same bump in sound quality as the first one did. I'm excited every time I listen!  Digital has never been better!

Did you first have the LPS-1 on the IsoRegen?  I am debating if I should get an LPS-1.2 for my IR.

Other components:

25 minutes ago, hifiveharry said:

I did have the LPS-1 on both the Ultra and the Iso and was so thrilled with the sound I was getting I really didn't want to change a thing. Curiosity got the best of me so I ordered a LPS 1.2 just because EVERYTHING I have ordered from UpTone has improved my system. I put it on the IsoRegen for a listen and was blown away! Ran to my computer and got in line for another LPS 1.2 to energize my UltraRendu. The Ultra reacted the exact same way with an equal gain in sound quality,  soundstage, and bass articulation! The cumulative effect of both pieces now powered by the LPS 1.2's is breathtaking! Every plucked string, bass whack, etc, becomes an event. Not in your face" look at me". Just more explosive with more substance thru the critical midrange. My system still has that " 13th row" cohesiveness to the music, but now has that " 4th row" jump factor that will have you laughing out loud when you hear it. Like Nike says, " Just do It".

Thank you for the reply. Have you tried powering both the Ultra and IsoRegen from the same LPS-1.2?

Other components:

14 hours ago, Superdad said:

Aside from being a higher wattage unit (required to supply the expanded output voltage range of the new generation LPS-1.2) the new SMPS is internally "ground-shunted," so it does not output any high-impedance leakage.  

Our UltraCap supplies (both the LPS-1 and the LPS-1.2) completely block the path of low-impedance leakage, but because we use transistors (which have a few picoFarads each of capacitance) to alternate between ultracapacitor banks (instead of mechanical noisy relays), we discovered that some of a lesser-known form of AC leakage (high-impedance leakage) was able to pass through the UltraCap units.  It is easily dealt with by shunting the AC mains ground to the DC output zero-volt "ground," and John even passed along a DIY trick to do this.

But for the release of the LPS-1.2, the obvious thing to do was to include a supply that is already internally shunted.

[The LPS-1.2 also uses transistors with about 1/3rd the total capacitance, but really that is more of a belt-and-suspenders approach since the included UpTone-branded SMPS charger does not output any high-impedance leakage in the first place.]

So @Superdad for best results would you suggest using the included SMPS with the LPS-1.2 versus a linear power supply like the HDPlex?

Other components:

22 minutes ago, kissov said:

Has anyone tried this setup.  Uptone JS-2, output one feeding an Uptone modified MacMini at 12v.  Output two feeding an LPS 1.2 at 12V (VxA=W). From the LPS 1.2 vai a Y feeding an ISO and a microRendu.  Any thoughts and dangers? Why?

I tried similar.  In my case I used an HDPlex linear power supply at both 12v and 19v powering the LPS-1.2.  Downstream the LPS-1.2 powered an IsoRegen and SU-1.  I preferred the sound without the Y splitter.  In terms of danger, assuming your splitter cable is well made you should be ok.  I don't have a microrendu so I am not sure about the total amps though.  What voltage are you planning to power the IsoRegen and microrendu at?

Other components:

• 4 months later...
On 9/3/2018 at 2:24 PM, Superdad said:

Larry's Gotham cable did nice things for the SU-1, but I was not at all prepared for the magnitude of difference it made as the cable for the microRendu!  Bass depth and detail, and a thing with Nina Simone's voice (intentionally) changing phase and character during a song, plus a few spooky leap-away-from-the-speaker ventriloquist moments left me reeling.  A DC cable? Really?!  Now I want these cables to go from my two other LPS-1.2 units to the ISO REGEN and the SU-1.  But there are probably technical reasons why it made the most difference with the microRendu.

Well that sealed the deal for me.  I am going to have to try this now.  I hope the Ghent cable implementation is identical to what @lmitche did with this cable for Alex.

Other components:

6 minutes ago, Blake said:

I bought the Ghent Gotham JSSG 360, for my main system, installed between my LPS 1.2 and UltraRendu.  It was good, but I preferred my silver DC cable.  I didn't care much for what it did to high frequencies (I found it introduced some glare/hardness to the treble, which is a non-starter for me), but other sonic aspects were very good.

I then loaned this cable to AustinPop and he also preferred his silver DC cable to the Ghent Gotham.   

My Ghent Gotham now resides in my office setup, powering an Iso Regen, where it is working fine.

Blake, do you mind letting me know where you purchased the silver DC cable?  

Other components:

• 4 months later...

@Superdad question regarding the charging supply for the LPS-1.2.  I understand there is a strict requirement for 36W.  Right now, i am powering both an LPS-1 and LPS-1.2 from a single 9V output from my HDPlex 400W DC ATX power supply.  According to the HDPlex website the 9V output is only capable of 3A or 27W total, so assuming that spec is accurate I have a few questions:

• Is it possible for the LPS-1.2 to be powered at this lower wattage?  I assume I able to because I am powering my 5V SU-1 with it.  Is this correct?
  • If so, is there any potential to damage the LPS-1.2 by powering it at this lower wattage?
  • Is the 36W requirements only if we are using the LPS-1.2 to power something at 9 or 12V?

Other components: