IGNORED

(Another) Best way to stream tidal

Just to clarify: Lumin App does not decode MQA for all MQA renderers when used with openhome emulation (Bubbleupnp Server + Minimserver). For example, my PS Audio Direct Stream DAC w/ Bridge II will do a full Tidal MQA decode, but only when using the mConnect Control App. The bridge II does not perform the decode when I use the far superior Lumin App.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

@Cebolla Thank you for the link. That is a great resource.

OK, so I downloaded one of the MQA files and just as you explained I was able to get the complete MQA unfold using Lumin App Control in an OpenHome emulation. Here is a snapshot of my PS Audio DSDac / Bridge II screen:

P2120222.thumb.JPG.97f7599e5acfa686c35da88cc02c8e3e.JPG

@R1200CL A full MQA unfold is done in the PS Audio Bridge II renderer, not the DSD DAC.

This is great news for folks like me that hate the mConnect control app.

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

On 2/11/2018 at 2:15 AM, Alcap said:

The question is would I be better using a laptop and the Tidal desktop app as this seems to give me 

me the ability to stream MQA albums,

MQA albums show up in the LUMIN app but I don’t think the 

method im using at the moment can play them.

any help/tips appreciated.

Since you were already streaming Tidal with an Intel NUC and asked specifically how to stream MQA the thread went in that direction.

At this point, I think you need to be more specific:

"I’m using an intel NUC so was thinking of ways to use that to stream Tidal and control the  whole thing with my iPad."

Compared to your original post:

"now im using an Intel NUC with openhome renderer and I’m controlling it with LUMIN app on an iPad,

sofar im happy with the sound and it seems to work flawlessly."