IGNORED

The Brinkman Ship MQA Listening Results

Let me fix this for you:

Set up a booth in the center of a large city:

1. Ask 1000 people "What is an audio DAC?"  You will get maybe 50 to 100 folks who can answer the question.  (this demonstration will indicate how few people give a crap about our hobby)

2.  Ask 1000 people to compare a high resolution audio file with a standard redbook file.   You will get a distribution of "no difference" "high rez is better" and "standard rez is better".   (This exercise will show you that few random participants can tell the difference between files.)

3.  Play a MQA file and a standard file for the casual listener and you may get the same distribution of no difference to better and worse.

Now to marketing:   The entire audio industry is based on the fact that human hearing preferences can be plotted on a bell curve.   Some audio consumers will like cable A over cable B.  If you can sell 25 sets of expensive cables for a 2000% mark up, Bob's your uncle and you have made a profit.  Please note that there is no audio advantage over cable A or B there is only human preference.   MQA is just more of the same marketing;  based upon, "let's make it sound different and will someone will spend money".  Just like cables and other audio/marketing voodoo,  there is no sonic advantage to MQA there is only the fact that some folks will like it and buy it.

We have had fully 36000 posts on MQA, all worthless:

if you like the sound, it follows that you should embrace the technology, if you don't like the sound, ignore it.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

23 hours ago, NOMBEDES said:

Let me fix this for you:

Set up a booth in the center of a large city:

1. Ask 1000 people "What is an audio DAC?"  You will get maybe 50 to 100 folks who can answer the question.  (this demonstration will indicate how few people give a crap about our hobby)

2.  Ask 1000 people to compare a high resolution audio file with a standard redbook file.   You will get a distribution of "no difference" "high rez is better" and "standard rez is better".   (This exercise will show you that few random participants can tell the difference between files.)

3.  Play a MQA file and a standard file for the casual listener and you may get the same distribution of no difference to better and worse.

Now to marketing:   The entire audio industry is based on the fact that human hearing preferences can be plotted on a bell curve.   Some audio consumers will like cable A over cable B.  If you can sell 25 sets of expensive cables for a 2000% mark up, Bob's your uncle and you have made a profit.  Please note that there is no audio advantage over cable A or B there is only human preference.   MQA is just more of the same marketing;  based upon, "let's make it sound different and will someone will spend money".  Just like cables and other audio/marketing voodoo,  there is no sonic advantage to MQA there is only the fact that some folks will like it and buy it.

We have had fully 36000 posts on MQA, all worthless:

if you like the sound, it follows that you should embrace the technology, if you don't like the sound, ignore it.

@Brinkman Ship.  Does not agree with my post.  He did not take the time to explain why my brilliant examination of the Audio Industry failed.

How about this:

I lke blues music @gmgraves likes classical music.  Do we hear differently?  Do we experience music in some divergent manner explained by medical science?   Is there a childhood environmental factor that explains a musical preference?

I stand by my opinion that humans are the least reliable reporters of the audio experience, because they can only hear through the filter of their own preference.   So if one person likes the "sound" of MQA and a second person does not like what he is hearing, how does that help the ComputerAudiophile come to a rational conclusion regarding MQA?

As @Samuel T Cogley has stated, supra, MQA is cables!   (I forgot to give STC my coveted "post of the day award" so I will do so now).  Mr Cogley is truly a national treasure ~ as are many of you. Especially the ones that agree with me.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law