IGNORED

The Best for the Least

2 hours ago, Spacehound said:

The  National Enquirer is quite entertaining in small doses  but its  'audiophile' page has its limitations.

They were a client of mine when I was a freelance photographer. They paid well, and fast. One picture of mine paid so well, I could have bought a McIntosh and a pair of JBL towers...those were the days my friend.

1 hour ago, adamdea said:

You should not feel apologetic about being unable to tell the difference between 24/192 and 24/96. There is no reason on god's earth why you should, beyond the possibility of weird hardware anomalies, intermodulation or whatever.

I have actually tested an HDTracks 24/96 file versus a very poor quality 24/192 of the same album. My 61-year old ears--who stood in front of the speakers at rock shows, fired 100s of rounds of ammo on the range and listened to headphones way too loud to be very discerning unless the difference is pronounced.

This not a troll-call.

I have been following this sample rate discussion, and I have a question that you may feel free to answer. (And when I taught at a College I told my students--there is no "right answer", the best answer is supported by your data)

I have some 24/96, some 24/192. and no I am not a Cat and too old to...that's another thread.

The vast number of files are 16/44 as Redbook as they come and in FLAC which means DSD vs. PCM is not on the list of things I am too concerned with.

Is there something wrong with my stereo, my ears, or am I imagining the difference...My 16/44 library sounds better than I can remember hearing any of these songs--from Soundboard Grateful Dead concerts to Classical, Jazz-(both Hard Bop and regular Bop), and female vocalists. Even Fusion Jazz, Steps Ahead Jazz, Show tunes, and Opera.

Traffic "John Barleycorn Must Die"-- playing now in 16/44 FLAC. Awesome recording.

Am I missing something here? 

My Audiophile Mind cannot tell if I am in the Redbook or the Hi-Res Audio collection--without looking at Audacious to see the Sample rate.

Does the 24/96 stuff sound a little better, about the same, or as good as the 16/44?

On 2/23/2018 at 3:40 PM, Ralf11 said:

You use the sample rate that can capture the the high frequency hearing limit of the species that will listen to the recording.

Is this discussion about hearing the audible difference between 16/44 and 24/96, or are folks discussing something to do with DSD?

55 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

You use the sample rate that can capture the the high frequency hearing limit of the species that will listen to the recording, so 44+ kHz is fine for humans with a 20 kHz upper limit on their hearing.

Other things include noise, analog stages, filtering etc.  but the really critical things are the recording/mastering quality, the speakers, and your room (mine sux).

Possibly your system doesn't show the minor differences in file types, or there IS NONE, or you are not a trained listener (which I've always thought was a bad bad idea to do) or (most likely) it is small rel. to the above big 3.

Well being a Audiophile as an avocation and I want to hear more information from 24-bit, and want to believe it is significantly better, but I think 

My Wanting to hear a difference exceeds my ability to discern.

BTW the world headquarters for me is a very small two rooms. I heard a opening up with some Synergistic Research device to resonate... That and vinyl tubs of old negatives. Ideal listening room treatments ?

8 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Troll post...this type of post is not acceptable on this website and is against TOS.

Sergeant Hulka: Lighten up, Francis. We're all in this together. One of these men may save your life one of these days, you understand that?

1 minute ago, fas42 said:

As others have stated, if Redbook is working well for you then you won't get anything from the "fancier" stuff - the hi-res world is a kludge, as far consumers of finished material are concerned; it makes sense in the recording operations, for a whole lot of reasons - and that's where it should stay.

I am amazed at this Modi Multibit with the Wyrd. At $348, this here is the 'Best for the Least'. Period.

52 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

didn't schiit provide you something?  any possible bias here....

Yes, they provided me a Schiit Modi Multibit and Wyrd, with a pre-paid return Fed Ex when the tests are concluded.

And in full disclosure, it is the same deal with my friends at iFi on the iFi iOne I am testing. If there would be a reason to test a McIntosh in the "On the Cheap" marketplace I would get a sample to test.

In 40 years of being a photojournalist, I never had my ethics questioned. I uphold the same high standards in Audiophilia Testing and Reviews as I did when every frame of mine was seen by over 1 billion people.

You honestly think I was swayed? By some gifts from a Goniff shoe salesman?

I will tell you that a friend loaned me a HFC MC-0.5 to try, and my review of that, engaged Mr. Schultz, who sent one of my own.

That was post-interview, and the prerogative of a generous man to offer a person one of his products that I could not afford.

I may be old but I have Integrity.

1 hour ago, beerandmusic said:

I really didn't know, which is why i asked.  was either company more personable, or giving in any way?

I personally would think that it would not be difficult not to be biased in one way or another based on relationship, where the actual sq is difficult to discern.

If there is any bias, it is to not offend a manufacturer, and I said I don't get free toys for a good review.

6 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Is there "anything" you have got or will get for any reason?

Honestly curious....and i respect honesty....

I have spoke to a couple retired professional reviewers and they have inferred perks.

And i also understand you not wanting to say anything negative about any manufacturer....it is very rare you ever read "bad reviews"...almost every review is positive...like they may say one thing may excel in one area, and a competing product excels in another area.

One retired reviewer went as far as saying they are so much more comfortable being retired and being able to be "completely honest" with what they say, inferring that sometimes in a review he may not be "completely honest"...

And when you think about it further, and abx tests rarely can even tell an mp3 from a flac file, that most everything in audio is difficult to discern in actual comparative tests. 

I received an HFC MC -0.5 from Rick Schultz, owner of HFC after I wrote a review based on a unit I borrowed from a friend. After the review was published.

I don't get any perquisites, financial reward or other consideration from either Schiit or iFi for reviewing their products. Feel free to check with both, concerning their loan policy for reviews.

If they were subject to bribes, payola or other corruption, I am glad they are now retired from reviewing.

Let's clear this up once and for all:  If you have a Schiit Modi 2, I suggest you spend $99 for their Wyrd. If you are interested in Bluetooth, DSD, and WiFi, then spend $199 for the iFi iOne. If you own an iFi iPurifer2, it will improve the sound of a USB DAC. The best value, in my HONEST Opinion, the Schiit Stack (Mimby/Wyrd) is a bargain at $348.

Continuing to imply that anything untoward borders on defamation.

If you can prove your accusations, please elucidate me.

38 minutes ago, firedog said:

Playback with a computer and an inexpesive DAC these days is probably much better quality than what you had with digital once upon a time. 

And no argument there. I often ponder what Henry Kloss himself would think about the sound of his Advents with a modern 24-bit HDTracks file providing the signal.

Folks that bought Advents were not likely to be the Linn LP-12 crowd, so mid-range turntables with an 'OK' cartridges and FM radio of "Album Rock" were what these speakers were designed for.

And expensive CD Players seemed like overkill when we were promised "perfect music that will last forever" by the CD makers.

Just now, firedog said:

With modern materials Kloss would be making much better and less expensive (in real dollars) speakers than the Advents. 

No argument that his designs--for the time were revolutionary.  I am amazed just how sweet these 1975 units are still sounding (new foam in 1990).

The ONLY new speaker out there that has caught my attention is the ELAC bookshelf that sells for $279 a pair. With a good speaker stand--they would be a treat.

10 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

whether you accept it or not, most "professional reviewers" get some compensation of some type....otherwise we would not have the magazines (online or otherwise).  I just didn't know how or where you fit in, which is why i asked.  I didn't accuse you of anything, I asked because i wanted to know. 

I wasn't aware of the option to write a review to get a free loaner with return shipping.

Please share what is required to write a review so you don't have to pay restocking fees if you return it....(i guess that is a perk in itself).

In my case, I claimed the title "Computer Audiophile on the Cheap" much like my prior life was as "The World's Largest Photographer".

Marketing, not 'plastic' is what I do. Answer me one question: How many people own HiFi systems over $100k ?

How many people want the stereo they have to SOUND like $100k?

Twenty dollars for sorbothane pucks and another ten for cones under the speakers... This is why iFi loans me gear as does Schiit. I am paid by no one. I am disabled and I love Cheap but outstanding stereo. Right now I am testing whether I am listening to 16/44 or 24/96-- Pink Floyd Meddle...

And my audience has no clue what Absolute Sound is. I was already poor when I got the AQ Dragonfly so I didn't fall into the basement of the Audio Literati, I have crawled up to the lower end of Audiophilia. And there are more CAOTC than High-end customers.

25 minutes ago, firedog said:

I  was sort of thinking of ELAC when I wrote that, but there are some other really good and inexpensive speakers these days. And of course that’s not taking into account actives and all in ones like the powered KEFs, that give great performance for relatively little money

Warning incoming gutb....

I am amazed at the DaytonAudio AIR speakers for $49 they sound great back in the bedroom with the Yamaha and Modi2...

17 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

bigbob, i have no ill feellings towards you.  I think what you are doing is a great thing.  You merely misunderstood me.  I think you are a good guy, and look forward to seeing more from you.  I will always lean more towards a DSD product over a pcm only product in same price range though, but that does not make me think any less of you or your opinion...most differences are very subtle imho in my experience with exception to speakers and amps.

Thank you.

My audience are people like my prostheticist, who is also a Deadhead.

I had him over and played a 24-bit recording from 1974 show at the Winterland--it was a Debby Stash reel from Jerry's personal collection and converted using a Telefunken tube something or other.

He sat in the sweet spot and was gobsmacked.

He has a stereo, but he didn't realize that for less than $100, plus a 32Gb thumb drive, he could have 10-12 24-bit Dead Shows to chill with at home, through his laptop... Simple as that.

I have a Facebook magazine, I have sold one thing on eBay and have three refurbished receivers ready to go. Hopefully, we will sell a few.

In my circumstance, accepting a free MC-0.5 from Rick Schultz has not changed my opinion of his product, and since I mentioned that it was a loan from a friend, he sent me one for my use.

He read the review, and sent it to me, I didn't solicit it, ask for it, imply anything to anyone.

I guess if I were on the payroll of a magazine or website that might be an ethical dilemma, but at my house, it was a welcome addition, that I could ill-afford to purchase.

As were the Chang Lightspeed, the Denon receiver, the Nordost Valhalla Reference Speaker Ribbons, and the Synergistic Research XOT Crossover Transducers--all gifts to make my music sound better.

21 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

Back to topic, "BEST FOR LEAST", that would really depend on what you currently have.

If one is really on a budget, there is some likelihood they are using an AVR.

Many AVR's have toslink and coax inputs, and many of the newer ones have ethernet.

If they have a newer avr with ethernet, They can get comparable sound to any cheapo dac (e.g. ifi nano or schiit) by simply using the ethernet input on their avr and using jriver to play to that enet port.....cost is zero for hardware.

Even if you are using an amp instead of an AVR or If you don't have a enet port on your avr, you can buy a used sony bluray player for about $20 which will allow you to do the same.

If you have a pc that has a toslink port (like my vm60) you can also plug your pc directly into the toslink port of your avr.

All 3 of these options will be comparable to quality of a cheapo dac and usb toy for under $50.

Also for slightly more money, respected Darko reviews suggests using an ALLO...but the other 3 will be cheaper and easier to implement.

https://darko.audio/2017/08/allos-digione-pulls-five-star-sound-quality-from-the-raspberry-pi/

I have a Denon AVR 2805 with seven DACs on board, but I use the external DAC and the pure direct circuit.

My input is with single-ended RCA from the DAC to CD inputs (6-inch runs of straightwire.)

My computer doesn't have Toslink, HDMI, or Coaxial S/PDIF outputs--just USB.

Can it be improved upon? Sure. But it works just fine.I am familiar with Allo. They want $65 for the Boss DAC for the RasPi. That might just be my new challenger--Darko thought very highly of it. And when the Mimby and iOne are returned, the S/PDIF will no longer be an option.

3 hours ago, beerandmusic said:

Ok, thanks for sharing...

I think it is great that Rick extended a hand to you.

Just curious for my own future interests....are most manufacturers willing to send review hardware to anyone, or just someone with review experience...is there a link you can share that stipulates the rules for review hardware?

In all likelihood, if i knew about that, i probably would have tried the gungnir before buying it, and i likely wouldn't be as open about my honest personal opinion....

I would think that if you are a direct vendor, like Schiit, they would probably not give a free trial, and maybe the restocking charge was implemented to prevent such.

I am really looking into the RasPi 3 as the ultimate 'Computer Audiophile on the Cheap' device, with Volumio as the headless OS. ( Android app costs 99 cents on Google Play)