IGNORED

Network Streamers With I2S Output?

I am trying to find a network streamer with I2S output.  Unfortunately, I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.  Perhaps someone here can recommend a product that I'm not yet familiar with.

I want to pair a network streamer with a Holo Spring DAC which has an I2S input. 

Before someone suggests it, I do NOT want to add digital-to-digital converter like the Singxer SU-1 between a streamer and a DAC in order to convert USB to I2S.

My ultimate solution is a Wi-Fi / Ethernet input and I2S output.  My "dream product" would be a Sonore ultraRendu with I2S output.  

• 4 weeks later...

I think I may have found what I've been looking for.  Today I learned about the Mano ULTRA music streamer.
LINK

It's Ethernet in and I2S out - just what I was asking for!  I don't really know too much about this device yet, but it looks promising.

I've grown frustrated having to "decrapify" USB signals with isolators, regenerators and digital converters.  
I've been looking for an "Ethernet in, I2S out" device that will let me dodge the entire USB signal path.  

mano_ultra_backpanel_2.jpg

If there's a hiccup, perhaps it's that this device doesn't offer integral WiFi - you need a dongle.

How much do you want to bet that the WiFi dongle is USB?!?!

2 hours ago, doraymon said:

I thought I’d be happy with my KTE SU-1 DDR but it turns out I prefer my sotm chain going directly in the USB input of the Spring, which shouldn’t be the case on the paper.

I’m even questioning if the addition of the tX-USBultra after the sMS-200ultra brings any benefit...

My gut feeling is:just too many boxes = sources of any kind of noise

I've got the Holo Spring DAC too and I am on the record as not being a fan of its USB implementation at all.  In my listening tests, I found the USB input to be the worst performer.  I feel that Holo's USB implementation is its Achilles' heel.  Using the I2S input bypasses the internal AK4118A receiver and pretty much sends the signal straight to the digital/analog conversion.  

That's why I'm keen to streamline my signal path and get rid of the "daisy-chain" of USB devices.  

So to hear you say that you prefer the SOTM's USB output into you DAC is a bit of a shock.

....trust your ears.  If that's what sounds best to you - enjoy it!

Now that I'm sold on I2S as the "best" input on my DAC and in my system, I'm trying to find out how to get the "best" quality I2S signal.  I'm not sure if that will be a USB chain terminated by an SU-1 or perhaps it starts life as an Ethernet signal and terminates with a Mano ULTRA.  

Maybe the USB output of my laptop was crap.  I did a lot of testing comparing straight USB, AES and I2S through my Singxer and into my Holo.  I2S was the clear winner.  AES was a close second and USB was by far the least favorite.    Either way, if your USB sounds good to you - rock on!

You are right the AK4118A is used in the SPIDF and AES.  I was mistaken.

The point remains the same, I2S skips a receiver chipset and is one less conversion of your audio signal before hitting the DAC chip. 

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, tapatrick said:

Just out - the Ambre from Metrum, looks like the first properly manufactured Network streamer with I2S outputs amongst others. Here is a first review...

Now that does look interesting!  Thanks for sharing.
I suspect that device will get quite a following here.