IGNORED

Network Streamers With I2S Output?

I am trying to find a network streamer with I2S output.  Unfortunately, I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.  Perhaps someone here can recommend a product that I'm not yet familiar with.

I want to pair a network streamer with a Holo Spring DAC which has an I2S input. 

Before someone suggests it, I do NOT want to add digital-to-digital converter like the Singxer SU-1 between a streamer and a DAC in order to convert USB to I2S.

My ultimate solution is a Wi-Fi / Ethernet input and I2S output.  My "dream product" would be a Sonore ultraRendu with I2S output.  

7 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

The Rockna Wavedream is DAC, not a streamer.

The original sonore rendu was the only device I recall having what I needed.  too bad they don't make it any more.

Sorry, meant Wavedream Net : http://www.rockna-audio.com/products/wavedream-net

SSR's show up every couple of months on the used market.

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

23 hours ago, T-Bone said:

I am trying to find a network streamer with I2S output.  Unfortunately, I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.  Perhaps someone here can recommend a product that I'm not yet familiar with.

I want to pair a network streamer with a Holo Spring DAC which has an I2S input. 

Before someone suggests it, I do NOT want to add digital-to-digital converter like the Singxer SU-1 between a streamer and a DAC in order to convert USB to I2S.

My ultimate solution is a Wi-Fi / Ethernet input and I2S output.  My "dream product" would be a Sonore ultraRendu with I2S output.  

I'm in a similar position, unfortunately an ethernet In/I2S Out is pretty rare. My findings:

• SOtM has a very interesting line up with the EX clocks in the Ultra's. But no I2S output..
  • Sonore has a two device option: the micro/ultraRendu with the ultraDigital, which has an I2S out
  • Manga Mano has a one box NAA with I2S output, they are about to introduce an updated model
  • Metrum acoustics will introduce a one box NAA with I2S soon, the Ambre
  • less known: the Soundaware D100 Pro

Based on current experience I would love to see a SOtM SMS-200 Ultra with an I2S output.. that's not the case, so I guess I'll wait a little to see what Manga and Metrum have in their sleeve. Otherwise I guess the 2 box Sonore the I2S way to go.

Hi @T-Bone

I did a similar search to pair with my PS Audio Directstream dac and didn't find a convincing solution. 

Initially I was interested in the original Sonore Signature Rendu but a conversation with Adrian at Sonore put me off because he tried to push me towards USB saying that they were getting better SQ from USB than they achieved with I2S from the SSR. 

I then went down the same path as you did with the SU-1 which as you know is a great bit of kit. But in the end I got fed up with the complexity and issues involved with an overcomplicated 'spaghetti' solution. ie all the different cables and power supplies etc, each of which has pros & cons. 

The I2S solution that I was most intrigued by was the servers that Pink Faun (based in Netherlands) offer. Ok not a streamer per se but you could output I2S to your Holo Spring I believe. 

In my case I gave up on I2S and just focused on getting the best server I could get. I'm getting better SQ than I had with the SU-1 but it's via ethernet or USB straight from the server into the DAC. 

Oh there's also a lengthy thread over at the PS Audio forums that you might want to check out. But I didn't see any compelling I2S solutions there other than some Raspberry Pi builds and custom servers. 

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/compatible-i2s-source-devices/page-15/#p85187

Cheers, 

Alan 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

PS there is apparently also a mod sound card for the Oppo 203/205 players that offers I2S via the HDMI output. 

The Oppos are well built and it can act as a streamer (Roon ready etc) as well as a disc player. But not sure if that's what you had in mind and it's hard to comment on the quality of the mod soundcard. 

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

1 hour ago, BigAlMc said:

Hi @T-Bone

I did a similar search to pair with my PS Audio Directstream dac and didn't find a convincing solution. 

Initially I was interested in the original Sonore Signature Rendu but a conversation with Adrian at Sonore put me off because he tried to push me towards USB saying that they were getting better SQ from USB than they achieved with I2S from the SSR. 

I then went down the same path as you did with the SU-1 which as you know is a great bit of kit. But in the end I got fed up with the complexity and issues involved with an overcomplicated 'spaghetti' solution. ie all the different cables and power supplies etc, each of which has pros & cons. 

The I2S solution that I was most intrigued by was the servers that Pink Faun (based in Netherlands) offer. Ok not a streamer per se but you could output I2S to your Holo Spring I believe. 

In my case I gave up on I2S and just focused on getting the best server I could get. I'm getting better SQ than I had with the SU-1 but it's via ethernet or USB straight from the server into the DAC. 

Oh there's also a lengthy thread over at the PS Audio forums that you might want to check out. But I didn't see any compelling I2S solutions there other than some Raspberry Pi builds and custom servers. 

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/compatible-i2s-source-devices/page-15/#p85187

Cheers, 

Alan 

It seems the most compelling solution for the PS Audio DirectStream is the Bridge II card which is what I am using right now. I don't hear any significant difference between it and the ultraRendu. I want to use Roon so I may be a bit more limited in choices than you.

The Mano  streamer is still a real possibility.

Yeah just took a look at the Mano and it looks interesting. 

I’m not a huge fan of the spaghetti solution I have now either. 

Ethernet to ultraRendu (fed by LPS)

uR via USB reclokcker (fed by LPS) to SU-1 (fed by LPS)

SU-1 via I2S to Holo Spring. 

Thats 6 boxes including power supplies between my router and my DAC. On top of that you have all of the noise ground wires. A simple Ethernet to I2S to DAC or even just an Ethernet to DAC solution would kbe awesome. Kind of makes me jealous of the Network Bridge and the PS Audio DACs. 

1 hour ago, oneguy said:

The  Bridge II needs to be able to accept DSD256 or 512 and then it would be perfect. I really hope the upcoming Holo May DAC has this type of setup. 

The DirectStream supports a max of DSD128. The Bridge II supports only DSD64. There is no way the Bridge II could support a higher rate than the DAC.

I the bridge only did PCM up to 192/24. Good info!

To be more clear I should have said the DirectStream plus the Bridge II need to support the higher rates. Never looked at what the DAC could support because once I saw the limitation of the Bridge II the rest was I moot point for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, Dave A.... said:

I have the Audiophonics streamer with I2S out going to my W4S DAC. Sounds great on Spotify premium.

A bitch to setup.......doesn't come with any documentation, just assumed knowledge whe

n you buy a Rpi.

I am putting together an Ethernet > I2S - Roon streamer but based on a Sparky SBC running DietPi. I'm adding Ian Canada's McFifo & McDualXO isolator and reclocker boards plus the Audio g-d HDMI LVDS. Waiting for the parts and should be a decent setup.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/group-buys/207438-ian-asynchronous-i2s-pdif-fifo-kit-buy-243.html#post5111246

https://github.com/iancanada/DocumentDownload

Topaz 2.5Kva Isolation Transformer > EtherRegen switch powered by Paul Hynes SR4 LPS >MacBook Pro 2013 > EC Designs PowerDac SX > TNT UBYTE-2 Speaker cables > Omega Super Alnico Monitors > 2x Rel T Zero Subwoofers.