IGNORED

UltraRendu vs an expensive music server

I agree with One and a half there.

But looking at the Antipodes you mention and your excellent (and similar) Mojo Audio server.

A friend of mine had an Antipodes. It's a really really well designed server and endpoint using it's low noise USB output.

But in his system we found that he could achieve just as good quality we a 'normal' computer server (nothing audiophile) and my ultraRendu (ethernet isolated from this computer) with  a really good linear PSU. He like the sound so much that he sold his Antipodes and purchased an ultraRendu and Uptone LPS-1 as is just as happy as before - especially with lots of change left over.

The other possible advantage with this 2 box solution is it meant his server could be in a room far away from his HiFi gear (RF/EMI), and just connected to the network via ethernet. With the Antipodes, it was right there on the HiFi rack near the DAC and other sensitive gear.

The same may apply with your Mojo Audio server, or maybe not.

1 hour ago, KingRex said:

He did put the UltraRendu on his audio rack,  correct?   I don't see it as anything other than a computer sharing its polltion with everything else.

Correct but the ultraRendu (and SOtm) is an even lower powered computer with components selected for audio - check vortecjr’s reply above.

In the case of my friend using Roon (and A+) this ultraRendu endpoint is not doing any decoding - it plays PCM or DSD. The server (in another room) is doing the decoding, and in his case up-sampling (i.e. higher CPU usage).

14 minutes ago, KingRex said:

What is it about a motherboard with a couple SSD and a few power regulators that is emitting into the air and possibly affecting my preamp or DAC.

The old Blackberry near a speaker party trick (hearing the buzzing) is an extreme example (very extreme) but is an OLD example of the effects of RFI in the home, near audio gear. The effects were easily audible back then. The effects with a music server now may not be so obvious (with buzzing) until you tried and moved the server outside of the listening room... It's one of those things where you don't realise interference is having an effect on your system until you move it and listen.. 

15 minutes ago, KingRex said:

What sort of spacing do I need.  

No magic number. I've seen 10ft thrown around but I think the best answer is as much spacing as practicably possible. But at the same time, with USB cables, you want to try and keep that <1m if possible. A 3m USB cable between your Mojo Audio server and your USB DAC probably isn't the best idea.

If you were able to ask your DAC's designer, I wouldn't be surprised if they recommend the same (music server in a different room on the network, with a low powered, low noise networked "endpoint" close to the DAC). 

If you were able to borrow a microRendu or ultraRendu from someone, it would be a cool thing to test, i.e. move the music server out of the listening room and listen if it makes a difference in your system.

Your Mojo Audio server is designed to be close to your DAC, with it's low noise power supply and low noise USB output. Your Mojo Audio server isn't a normal PC in that regard. I wouldn't worry too much.

14 hours ago, KingRex said:

EM2016 has really made me think of something. Does my computer actually admit any sort of RFI / Emi or other noise polltion  into the air when it is being fed by a linear power supply

The ultraRendu is also a computer.

But if using Roon or Audirvana (for example) the ultraRendu isn't decoding to PCM or DSD - this decoding is done by the upstream server (which can be on the other side of the house, far away). So you would expect CPU usage to be lower with this lower powered endpoint (computer) close to the DAC input. The difference in CPU usage would be even larger if the server is doing CPU intensive up-sampling or other DSP...

Whether or not this lower CPU usage close to the DAC (and other RF sensitive gear) results in better sound quality - best to try and judge with your ears.

I'm no expert but I've learnt a lot from talking to the designers of my DACs. If you can, I would ask for their thoughts. Who would know better than the designers of your own gear?

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Problem with asking the DAC designer is that their interests/views can often be scewed.  Though interesting and worth hearing from, I take them with eyes squinted.  Best to hear for yourself or from other proven like minded audiophiles.

Agreed, hence my "Whether or not this lower CPU usage close to the DAC (and other RF sensitive gear) results in better sound quality - best to try and judge with your ears"