IGNORED

Microrendu through airport express

47 minutes ago, Browniesbane said:

Is there any advantage or disadvantage to bridge mode for these purposes.

I assume that bridge mode is when you set up the AE to extend  the network and use the ethernet out?

I would suggest not getting too caught up in minutia on this, many members including myself have been using the AEx to supply a microRendu with an Ethernet connection since spring 2016 when the microRendu was released. It works perfectly.

For the record, different manufacturers of different WiFi devices such as the AEx insist on using all different terminology to describe various modes of operation. While that can be maddening to some, it is also easily ignored in instances such as this. 

Apple's Airport Utility software gives 3 set-up options for the AEx: Create, Join, or Extend a wireless network. And while that may seem to others like Apple-speak and not the "proper" network terminology they are most comfortable with (i.e. client mode, bridge mode etc) thats irrelevant for your purpose.

You simply join the existing wireless network you already have, using that network's SSID and password. Once that's been done, you plug an Ethernet cable into the AEx and the microRendu and you are done.

As I said, it works quite well and is ultra stable. There is no sketchiness, dropouts, reboots needed or any other weirdness in my experience.

This is in stark contrast to the very reputable Netgear EX6150 "Range Extender", which is not only more difficult to do the initial set-up on, but it is flakey, sometimes misbehaves, and requires periodic reboots. Not worth the time trouble/hassle to save $50 or whatever it is, even with the lure of 802.11ac performance specs etc... it just doesn't work as well as the AEx does for this purpose.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group