IGNORED

does Audirvana 3 really sound better and is there a windows alternative?

gaia

5 hours ago, RunHomeSlow said:

Not for me. Mainly mac for music A+ only, but didn’t change anything for HQPlayer or JRiver they still work, my mac sound is the same i can still use the mac sound for viewing youtube in my tv screen...

one last question..... is there a possiblity of bricking my mac mini?  I don't have any data to lose, so if I have to reinstall the OS, I really don't care.  But I am concerned about rendering my mac completely unusable and unrecoverable if I screw up the 'superuser do' commands.  Hopefully, the worst that could happen is I have to factory restore the OS from the 'high sierra install' USB disk I made a couple months ago.  

24 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

If you screw it yes you will have to restore, but it is not difficult, just some copy paste and restarts

Oh, I forgot to thank you for the download files.  So Thanks!  I wasn't able to get a copy of el capitan kext so I appreciate it, as well as the detailed instructions in the rtf file, AND the repairPermissions app!  All in one download.  Awesome.  

14 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes, it sounds outstanding.  Better if you enable Direct Mode (Takes some work). Sitting at my iMac using it now and it sounds spectacularly good.  SO much I stop my browsing often just to listen.

you're on high sierra?  I'm on 10.13.3 and going to take the plunge tomorrow to enable direct mode.  Just looking for more success stories with high sierra before I do.  

35 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Yes I am actually on the beta of 10.13.4 and it works fine and sounds wonderful.

boom, I'm there.  Something sounds a little sweeter my friends - cymbals smoother, less sibilance, harshness?  It's hard to know for sure without spending some time and seeing if my "enjoyment level" goes up.  It sounded great before but .....   I'll report back.  

The instructions worked like a charm @RunHomeSlow - all I need to do is lock down the system SIP again.