How successful have any of you been at tracking down the "best masters" on Quobuz?  How about obscure high quality recordings?  It appears label control would interfere with curation.  Pricing, whew!  If the US post-launch looks too ugly I might have try posing as Signor Rando.

If the server is in France and you, as an example, are on the Western US coast.  That is a lot to negotiate with no degradation of quality you will notice.  As opposed to downloading a small pdf in the same situation.  Or even better, using their desktop app as you have done with Tidal.  The product as delivered in the US will be the only test.

Good to hear.  Being logged in implies higher priority access to their servers.  There a lot of unknown factors besides this.  For streaming purposes the UK would be a very good choice due to the Apollo North OALC-4 SPDA cable being a major banking link.  

Depends on how much you like the sound of money, woodford.  Suffice to say the link to the world's banking center is considerable during off market hours.  If not packed in with it.

Bit too subjective for my blood.  Do report back with your evidence one way or the other per SQ.  Happy hunting.

• left channel changed the title to Qobuz USA launching soon!
  • 4 weeks later...

Wondering what state of usability (US) Qobuz is in currently; ie fully functional and almost bug free?

This extended beta duration caught me off guard.  Planned on just enrolling once the doors officially opened.  How do you get an open beta invite (or alternately has that bus left the station), just sign up for more information on the launch page you see when visiting from the US?

For a third thing I'm particularly interested in maturity of the Android app and/or phone usage. 

On 2/6/2019 at 6:47 PM, left channel said:

I don't think they should launch yet. All the reviews are going to say Qobuz is missing a lot of music

I know this was nearly a week ago.  And tensions are high on the forum. Could you go into a bit more detail?  

I'm fairly well hoping you are referencing comparison to the UK catalog and not (the growing worrisomely common) Tidal offerings stateside.  That landing page opens Valentine's Day to some banger with face tats and a platinum Qobuz chain ...  ..  

Please tell me this didn't go pear shaped.  Please tell me I can find French language techno and massed classical recordings trending from niche to obscure along with the packaged stuff. 

Glad to hear a great "Americanization" didn't occur. That the Eagle didn't get his beak under the tent and end up roosting in there like he owned the place. Please forgive me this last fanciful illustration.  Tidal is quite obviously less gangster's paradise and more flashy web design ticker tape of pop comings and goings. 

Insofar as timing, mid-February is well timed to open with a few bare shelves and gauge the fickle whims of (potentially large numbers of) customers unaware of nearly everything on offer. The open beta/soft opening must be going well and staff trained enough to do a grand reveal for the small crowd assembled.  One nit I'd be hard pressed to pick is their handling of media coverage.  This entry certainly appears to have been well discussed with competition and other elements well beyond striking off on a seat of the pants expedition. ;)

I have the USB Audio Player Pro demo installed and look forward to using it come Thursday. Exciting stuff for those who waited!

Apps only work for static easily repeatable tasks like uploading photos or checking the current weather. There was no real choice between integration with Roon/UAPP or bowing before M$/Mac.  The website, which there is no excuse not to use, works very well. 

I feel safe saying the target demographic here is intelligent enough to see past the clouded actions of what they've just taken in to enjoy fresh air picnicking in a pleasant clime.  Sometimes less is more. 

0212191405a.thumb.jpg.563c1a4247cd27f5264214b0ada51ffd.jpg

From John Loengard's "Pictures Under Discussion".