IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

Miska, what do you think about the following configuration, would it be sufficient for DSD512 poly-sync-xtr (non -2s)?

Intel Xeon E5-2680V3 12 x 2,5 GHz Turbo 3,3 Ghz

64 GB RAM (8 x 8129 MB, 2133MHz, DDR4)

Mainboard with Intel X99 (Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4P)

OK, so it would be worth a try? What do you think? I could get the above mentioned bundle on an acceptable price. Or would you recommend me to go to a newer platform instead because it would be more future proof, etc. BTW: DSD256 poly-sinc-xtr (non -2s) should be possible in any case, shouldn‘t it?

Best regards.

Dirk, that‘s an interesting information. May I ask you for some more information:

- Does that setup also work smoothly with DSD512 poly-sync-xtr (non -2s)?

- What Mainboard and RAM do you use in your setup?

- At what frequency the 2700x must run for that?

- Do you have a dedicated NVidia Graphic card using Cuda offload or what graphic card you use?

Would be very nice and helpful  to hear from you.

I‘m wondering, whether it is the number of cores/threads or the processor frequency that is the main important aspect regarding HQPlayer capabilities? Or is it the combination of both parameters? Would be very helpful to know what the main factor is.

@Miska, what would you recommend?

Thank you very much @MirinStereo, that helped me to better understand the requirements. According to your description a very high number of cores / threads (e.g. 20 / 40) does not really help to achieve DSD512 poly-sinc-xtr. I was not fully aware of that and was looking for processors that have (beside a minimum of 25MB cache) a potential high number of cores/threads, but obviously a (very) high number of cores doesn‘t really help, as long as the CPU clock isn‘t at 3GHz or even more at least. That really helps me because it limits my efforts in searching for a proper processor. Maybe I can ask you another question regarding the CPU clock. Is it a matter of the base clock rate or what influence does the maximum turbo clock rate has here? For example, a (fictive) CPU with base clock rate at 2,8GHz and maximum turbo clock rate at 3,5GHz would fulfill the clock rate requirements or not?

@n2ityou wrote: I was reading in the other HQplayer thread that the new Nvidia RTX2080 can do DSD512 poly-sinc-xtr. 

Can you plz give a link on that post? Thx

Was it the post of @semeniub? But he statet out there: „I've checked for you, and DSD64 to DSD512 with the poly-sinc-xtr filter works just fine with the RTX 2080 card.“

That is not what I‘m looking for. I want to upsample redbook 44.1kHz to DSD512 using poly-sinc-xtr...

• 2 weeks later...