IGNORED

Neil Young Archives On New Streaming Service

I find the interface a bit too gimmicky. That aside, Firefox 57 on Linux insisted on resampling the audio to 44.1 kHz. I had to modify the source code and rebuild it before it would output 192 kHz. Then it started getting buffer underruns instead. A little more source code tweaking to increase the buffer size mostly fixed this, but there's still the occasional glitch. Browsers do not make good music players. I would not pay money for this in its current form. Youtube is better.

With the technical issues out of the way, I captured a track at the highest quality. Here's the spectrogram:

ny-wbgg-spg.thumb.png.002950c163795f3144edd79c70af7ceb.png

And the average spectrum of the left channel:

ny-wbgg.thumb.png.7ed11052eb3e5b05785ff61036472d31.png

Not much going on in the high frequencies, but at least it's not full of fake content like with MQA.

7 hours ago, esimms86 said:

Even with this powerful a setup I experienced occasional dropouts.

It doesn't matter how much CPU power you throw at it. The problem is the way Firefox schedules its activities. By default, all tabs share a single process, so rendering a large page in another tab easily makes audio stutter. The number of processes can be increased by opening the about:config page and increasing the value of the dom.ipc.processCount setting. It seems to help with the stuttering here. Bear in mind that each process adds at least few hundred MB of memory usage, so don't go too crazy.

7 minutes ago, left channel said:

You can also get at this from an Options page with friendly explanations and a menu, as explained on this Firefox Support page https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/performance-settings?as=u&utm_source=inproduct

2017-08-12-05-27-49-8a5454.png

Oh, they finally made it visible. I'd missed that.

7 minutes ago, left channel said:

I watched dom.ipc.processCount while I made changes to this menu. It defaults to "1" unless you enable hardware acceleration when it will defaults to "4". The menu offers a maximum of "7". I'd be interested to hear if "4" is enough for those experiencing stuttering and dropouts.

On my system it defaults to 1 regardless of the hw acceleration setting. Increasing it to 4 helps a lot.

5 minutes ago, OraStream said:

A new player build has been deployed to the NY Archives. It uses multi source nodes to schedule audio buffering - helps reduce audio stutter. Also enables HTTP fetch to benefit users on supported browser (Chrome, Safari, Opera) with streaming delivery via CDN and higher audio (bitrate) quality.

I'll give it a try.

Is there any good reason https isn't supported?

Just now, #Yoda# said:

As far as I know, OraStream is not responsible for the front end. You should ask Phil Baker from NYA. 

Neither the frontend nor the backend (which uses an orastream domain) uses https. It's possible that the backend supports it, of course, and it's just not being used.

42 minutes ago, #Yoda# said:

Neil Young - Storytone Deluxe Edition 24/192 from 7Digital in mainland Europe €17.99 and on the wannabe separate island nearby £ 18.49.

There's a name for that: rip-off Britain. Stuff has always been priced at the same number in pounds, euros, and dollars, even when the pound to dollar rate was 1:2. With the falling pound, it's actually become less of a rip-off. Thank you, brexiteers.